moyes for city tin hat ready

Prestwich_Blue said:
OK - let's bury this myth that they've spent fuck-all.

Since 2004, they've spent just over £102m. They've raised £79m of that from player sales, mainly from Rooney, Lescott & Andy Johnson. So that's a net spend of £23m, which is £50m more than Arsenal have spent and only £9m less than the rags in the same period.

If you take out the £250m we've spent in the last 2 seasons, their net spend from 2004 - 2008 was £45m more than ours.

Edit: In fact they've spent a bit more than Stoke & Birmingham, who are just behind them in the table. So Moyes is no better than Pulis or McLeish. In fact, he's had longer in the Premier League than both of those.
Your right Prestwich Blue,I'm wrong.So what are all these chants of "6 points and we spent fuck all" all about?

Probably Unwelcome Evertonian said:
Damocles said:
Moyes has took a top 8 club consistently to the top eight.

Not exactly Ferguson is he? He took Aberdeen to European glory.

People need to shut the fuck up about this average guy and stop comparing him to the greatest manager ever, because he happens to have a Scottish accent as well.

Maybe we can get Billy Connolly as our next man? I mean he's won as much as Moyes and has a Scottish accent, so he MUST be good, surely?

You'll be delighted to hear that I won't log on again until just before we are going to play you next season but...

Moyes immediate predecessor (sp), Walter Smith, never got us a top half finish. In fact, he was fired for fear of relegation. God - my low point was a 3-0 home defeat against Ipswich while he was in charge.

Moyes then got 7th the following season, which was followed up by an end of season DVD called 'The Magnificent 7th'. Funny how times change isn't it - that was an Hell of an achievement back then.

Before Wally we had Howard Kendall Part III - survived on the last day of the season. In fact, in the 90s, we finished in the top 8 only once and that was Royle's season after the FA Cup win when we signed Kanchelskis.

So "has took a top 8 club consistently to the top eight" is so far off the mark it's like a Thomasz Radzinski finish. Moyes however has achieved stability that we had not experienced for many years prior to his appointment.

You can't be an Everton fan. Has nobody ever told you that you have are the FOURTH most successful club in England EVER?

EVAR!

Prestwich_Blue said:
OK - let's bury this myth that they've spent fuck-all.

Since 2004, they've spent just over £102m. They've raised £79m of that from player sales, mainly from Rooney, Lescott & Andy Johnson. So that's a net spend of £23m, which is £50m more than Arsenal have spent and only £9m less than the rags in the same period.

If you take out the £250m we've spent in the last 2 seasons, their net spend from 2004 - 2008 was £45m more than ours.

Edit: In fact they've spent about the same as Fulham, Stoke & Birmingham, who are just behind them in the table. So Moyes is no better than Hodgson, Pulis or McLeish. In fact, he's had longer in the Premier League than all of those.

Well, you can make statistics say anything can't you. £23m net spend over 8 years is an average of £3m. You could buy a Tobias Linderoth per season for that. I think he's done incredibly well, getting a good price for those going out and getting players in at (on the whole - cough, cough, Per Kroldrup) bargain basement prices. Arteta, Cahill, Pienaar - each less than £3m.

I think what you aren't recognising is that for his average of £3m per year budget is the difference in the quality of the team between when he started 8 years ago and now. No longer are we shuddering at the thought of Abel Xavier at the heart of our defence, Alessandro Pistone doing whatever A;;essandro Pistone did, Alex Nyarko providing the creativity, Alexandersson making money for the club by having too many letters on his back for any parent to want their kid to have his name on the One 2 One shirt, etc, etc.

Ten years ago the outlook was depressing. For £3m per year (and many Prem managers would have walked at such a small budget) he most certainly has moved us into a much greater place.

What I would say though is that, like when he joined us, he is untested with real money like you guys have. He finished 17th in his second full season with us - the board kept the faith. That has paid off. It does sometimes.

I think you've got a good manager and if the fraccas on Wednesday was anything to go by, one with some fire in his belly. Good for you. I hope you keep your manager.

Good luck for the rest of the season. I'll pop on next season and give you a brief insight into Moyes' program notes if you like. ;-)

Take care and good night.

Lomas has a lob on said:
IMO he's another Hughes, not saying thats bad or anything, but at a similar level, feel a bit sorry for these type of managers actually, as they do deserve big job's but the way football is now, there is no settling in period, especially with the trophy chasing clubs, meaning such clubs go for managers that have a track record of winning things on a regular basis rather than managers that have built up a club over a number of years.

This was my view when I read the post. He would not be an improvement on what we already have, Moyes is a good club manager who has a good record although he has won nothing.
We should stick with Mancini and see where he takes us.

Damocles said:
You can't be an Everton fan. Has nobody ever told you that you have are the FOURTH most successful club in England EVER?

EVAR!

I think it has been mentioned. I'm not that bothered. I would add it's probably as cringeworthy as your lot saying how big a club you are. You can be big, you have the potential to be big, but you are a long way from it yet as proven by the high possibility of you not getting Champions League this season.

With an endless pot of cash, I think you'll get there and we can all tell our grandchildren of times when Man City were in the third tier - they won't believe it!

I want to see success at Everton for myself, and I don't mind admitting I'll take a little bit of pride SHOULD it occur given the relative small change we've spent. You can give it all your 'net spends' between convenient dates if you like, but the reality is there has been a shoe string budget and at an average of just under £3m per year, we're finally no longer relegation fodder. Give more money to the wrong manager, and we could take a massive step backwards.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.