MUSIC: METAL

KoRn, System Of A Down, Slipknot, Black Sabbath, Metallica, Five Finger Death Punch all top quality metal but obviously different genres of metal. Give these tunes a listen if you haven't heard them.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mM3qOxHdcCU[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbiJWWfoCYY[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVuVhC7h32k[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOXPSSZkFD0[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZ7Aif5aXlQ[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mo1JExiw2f8[/youtube]

"Metal" is a bit of a catch-all phrase phrase for a huge diversity of music. Dont really get people who say it is "all the same" or "a load of noise". To me, "metal" (loosely) covers everything from Journey to Slipknot and everything in between. I'm in my mid-forties now and I got into metal aged around 11-12 so I've seen and liked a lot of different stuff:
Late 70's early 80's - UFO, Motorhead, Judas Priest, Van Halen, AC/DC then all the NWOBHM stuff - Diamond Head, Leppard Saxon etc. Mid 80's to early 90's was all about the Hollywood type bands - went to the States a few times in that era, was the time of MTV and Headbangers ball - its hard to comprehend / explain to kids now how HUGE bands like Motley Crue, Ratt, Warrant, Skid Row etc were then. This to me was metals greatest era, not only did we have all the 100's of "hair bands" but also Metallica, Anthrax were massive and bands like Scorpions, Ozzy etc were at their peak. The 90's was all about alternative rock and grunge - Pumpkins, Nirvana, NIN, Janes Addiction. Nu-Metal was an odd one, sort of came and went. 00's onwards, liked a lot of emo / "post hardcore" (the Used J.E.W., Escape the Fate, ADTR, BFMV etc) also pop-punk, screamo etc, Always checking out new bands, liking a lot of Swedish acts at the moment. The beauty of metal is its ability to continuously evolve and re-invent itself. Its the true incarnation of what the spirit of rock n' roll was all about to me: the greatest music on the planet, nothing is or ever will be, followed with such emotion and passion as metal. My mum told me I would "grow out of it" when I was 12 - it never happened!

phoenixxblue said:
"Metal" is a bit of a catch-all phrase phrase for a huge diversity of music. Dont really get people who say it is "all the same" or "a load of noise". To me, "metal" (loosely) covers everything from Journey to Slipknot and everything in between. I'm in my mid-forties now and I got into metal aged around 11-12 so I've seen and liked a lot of different stuff:
Late 70's early 80's - UFO, Motorhead, Judas Priest, Van Halen, AC/DC then all the NWOBHM stuff - Diamond Head, Leppard Saxon etc. Mid 80's to early 90's was all about the Hollywood type bands - went to the States a few times in that era, was the time of MTV and Headbangers ball - its hard to comprehend / explain to kids now how HUGE bands like Motley Crue, Ratt, Warrant, Skid Row etc were then. This to me was metals greatest era, not only did we have all the 100's of "hair bands" but also Metallica, Anthrax were massive and bands like Scorpions, Ozzy etc were at their peak. The 90's was all about alternative rock and grunge - Pumpkins, Nirvana, NIN, Janes Addiction. Nu-Metal was an odd one, sort of came and went. 00's onwards, liked a lot of emo / "post hardcore" (the Used J.E.W., Escape the Fate, ADTR, BFMV etc) also pop-punk, screamo etc, Always checking out new bands, liking a lot of Swedish acts at the moment. The beauty of metal is its ability to continuously evolve and re-invent itself. Its the true incarnation of what the spirit of rock n' roll was all about to me: the greatest music on the planet, nothing is or ever will be, followed with such emotion and passion as metal. My mum told me I would "grow out of it" when I was 12 - it never happened!

My mother said the same thing to me and Ive still got the first 200 copies of Kerrang to this day. Agree with everything you said there especially about metal evolving and encompassing so many genres within a genre. I find it a sad state of affairs when a City the size of Manchester does not have one true Metal club since the closure of Jilly's and yet this is a genre of music with thousands of followers.

I have the first few Kerrangs also - probably worth a few quid those. Don't know much about the club scene now, (too old for it!) but my daughter is into metal (brought her up right) and she seems to go to a lot of club nights in Manchester so they are definitely there. I absolutely LIVED metal in my teens / 20's. Was lucky that that time of my life coincided with such a great period in the genre. At one time I was out 4-5 nights week in Manchester and other cities. Friday - Jillys, or Rock City Nottingham, Saturday, a combination of Sailsbury, UMIST, Jillys, The Banshee, Rebels in Sheffield, Sunday, The Phoenix, Monday the Ritz or, twice a month, the Roxy in Sheffield (awesome night out), Tueday the Playpen / 42nd st (not really metal but a cool place to hang out), Wednesday, Banshee, Thursday, not much happening maybe Legends. Great days! Saw loads of great gigs back then at the international 1 & 2. Wish I had a time machine!

phoenixxblue said:
I have the first few Kerrangs also - probably worth a few quid those. Don't know much about the club scene now, (too old for it!) but my daughter is into metal (brought her up right) and she seems to go to a lot of club nights in Manchester so they are definitely there. I absolutely LIVED metal in my teens / 20's. Was lucky that that time of my life coincided with such a great period in the genere. At one time I was out 4-5 nights week in Manchester and other cities. Friday - Jillys, or Rock City Nottingham, Saturday, a combination of Sailsbury, UMIST, Jillys, The Banshee, Rebels in Sheffield, Sunday, The Phoenix, Monday the Ritz or, twice a month, the Roxy in Sheffield (awesome night out), Tueday the Playpen / 42nd st (not really metal but a cool place to hang out), Wednesday, Banshee, Thursday, not much happening maybe Legends. Great days! Saw loads of great gigs back then at the international 1 & 2. Wish I had a time machine!

Used to always meet up in Rosies Bar and do a pub crawl before the Umist, The Sporran and then end up in Jillys. Phoenix on a Sunday night, The Salisbury, Spread Eagle in Ashton midweek, The Farmyard Rochdale Rd and the Osbourne Rochdale Rd, a pub up Oldham Rd near to Oldham end but can't remember the name no. The Banshee was a regular haunt and the wife used to go in Henry's which was just before my time. Often went into the Cyprus Tavern for a change of scene. Like you said I was often in International 1 & 2 myself where I saw The Macc Ladds, Jesus and the Mary Chain, The Waterboys, Albert King, Billy Bragg and Gary Glitter to name but a few.

Great days and as this is a metal thread then it's only right to give a mention to the greatest record shop Manchester ever had - YANKS. Still got all my vinyl with the corners cut off and A,B,C or D coded for the price. Used to love nothing more than a trip to Yanks for some unknown vinyl and then getting on the bus home and opening it up and lovingly going over the inner sleeve notes, lyric sheets etc. Gatefolds were the best and a triple like 'All the Worlds a Stage'' was simply Orgasmic!

The Yanks sale was the event of the year! Whilst I love downloading free music from the internet, to me its kind of killed music, made it "disposable". To me a collection of music cant just be a bunch a files on your hard drive - having a big record collection used to be real kudos. Nothing beat the buzz of getting your new vinyl home. Remember paying a fortune for GnR Live Like A Suicide EP from the old Picadilly Records!
Was the pub up Oldham the Plough? Used to go there Friday nights regular. Remember going in there the night before Donnington '84 (Van Halen, AC/DC) then all piling in the van for the drive down!
At the Internationals I remember seeing, Bulletboys, D.A.D., Saigon Kick, Mr Big, Georgia Satellites, Sea Hags, Extreme, Quireboys, Dogs D'Amour, Wolfsbane, Dan Reed Network, Electric Boys, Love/Hate was probably more but its all a bit hazy! Still listen to most of those bands

phoenixxblue said:
The Yanks sale was the event of the year! Whilst I love downloading free music from the internet, to me its kind of killed music, made it "disposable". To me a collection of music cant just be a bunch a files on your hard drive - having a big record collection used to be real kudos. Nothing beat the buzz of getting your new vinyl home. Remember paying a fortune for GnR Live Like A Suicide EP from the old Picadilly Records!
Was the pub up Oldham the Plough? Used to go there Friday nights regular. Remember going in there the night before Donnington '84 (Van Halen, AC/DC) then all piling in the van for the drive down!
At the Internationals I remember seeing, Bulletboys, D.A.D., Saigon Kick, Mr Big, Georgia Satellites, Sea Hags, Extreme, Quireboys, Dogs D'Amour, Wolfsbane, Dan Reed Network, Electric Boys, Love/Hate was probably more but its all a bit hazy! Still listen to most of those bands

Yes the Plough and we went in there the night before Donnington 84 and piled into a van driven by Dec? Stopped for a piss in Matlock I think and it was fucking freezing in the back of that van. Don't tell me this is the same van?

Ha coincidence! The guy driving our van was a lad called Pete - not really a friend, just an aquaintance. We never even got to sleep in our van, he kicked us out when we got there so we made a fire and kipped round that still fucking freezing like you say, no sleeping bag or fuck all!
Sounds like we clubbed it in the same places round the same time, small world!

phoenixxblue said:
Ha coincidence! The guy driving our van was a lad called Pete - not really a friend, just an aquaintance. We never even got to sleep in our van, he kicked us out when we got there so we made a fire and kipped round that still fucking freezing like you say, no sleeping bag or fuck all!
Sounds like we clubbed it in the same places round the same time, small world!

That would have been crazy if it was the same van. Small world though. Yeah vans weren't like vans today, no carpets no seats just floor to ceiling metal. Remember getting home on the Sunday morning caked in mud with a red motley crue t shirt which I still have and a Donnington 84 one which my 18yr old daughter wheres now along with my Master of Puppets original tour shirt, there her 2 favourites. I kept them all in great nick and she goes through them and pisses her mates off when she goes out in an original tour shirt.

I'll throw some names at you of the gang I knocked about with, they still meet up at the Grand Central every so often. Rob (Blackley), Vlad (Cheetham Hill), Killer and Georgia, Andy Corbett (Blackley), Ken Pownall (Blackley), H (Proper Red always arguing with him but), Poke (Same as H), Johny Fee, Frannie Fee, Grant(Heywood) , Colin Duffy (RIP) Sarah (Glossop), Dec, Roger and Corinne (Blackley), Taff (Blackley), Shaun (Middleton), Bicer (Harpurhey) and myself Josh. There was loads more of us every week met up, great days just one big family.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.