Muslim women must learn English

Oh, thats ok then.

But we don't need to bother, because they should speak english?

It is no where near the standard of our European cousins. Taking a foreign language of the compulsory curriculum (is that still the case?) is for shame. Now, it may be unlikely, can you imagine if our economy tanked while the rest of the world's expanded? We'd be fucked. The number of us who can speak a foreign language fluently is really small in comparison to other European nations. I also think its one of the reasons why we are somewhat adverse to closer ties with Europe. We feel no cultural closeness to them.

There was a time when ex-pat communities in spain and portugal did exactly what we criticise other cultures in England for. Creating basically british communities filled with english pubs and chippies. I don't know if that is still the case, but its hardly the cultural assimilation we expect to migrants to our own shores.

Nor do I. Not because I think "oh this is england, everyone should speak english", but I think it well help with community cohesion and give the migrants a better quality of life. Thats why we need more investment into this whole cause. Particularly in the case of asylum seekers and refugees.

There was an article in the guardian about a woman from manchester who had taken in a Syrian refugee. According to the article, the job centre was making him apply for "x" number of jobs a day, despite distance/despite travel (and him not being able to drive in the UK) and despite the fact he spoke no english. When he was asking if he could take english lessons first, they straight up told him "no". Thats a case of putting statistics and figures ahead of cohesion, education, understanding, and future prospects. It makes zero sense and is, in my opinion, another ridiculous example of governments thinking private sector business models can be extrapolated into the public sector.

Genuine question here, not judging just curious.

For those BM members who are expats living in non-English speaking countries. Can you speak the language fluently? Do you feel there is a need? Are you learning?
I picked up Australian pretty quickly cut the second half off every word and add an upwardly lilted O and you're a native

I picked up Australian pretty quickly cut the second half off every word and add an upwardly lilted O and you're a native

That's good to know, I'll get it on my duolingo. At least then I can tick off one of my new years resolutions

Genuine question here, not judging just curious.

For those BM members who are expats living in non-English speaking countries. Can you speak the language fluently? Do you feel there is a need? Are you learning?

I lived in a number of countries and leant to speak the language fluently in each of them.

However, the UK regulations as they stand aren't asking for fluency in English, just A2 level which is pretty basic and you have up to 5 years to achieve.

I think if they are going to come for 3 or 4 years they need to be able to abide by the law or they should be deported to Argentina

It's fairly irrelevant what you or I think though. I'm merely pointing out how it stands at present for residence and that it applies to everyone equally. I've no idea what the current regulations are relating to work visas.

Isn't the point being missed by everyone?

He is saying some muslim women are kept at home with very strict husbands and don't let them learn English so they have no lives. He wants that to stop and so should everyone it's weird as fuck in this day and age.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.