Napoli (A) Post Match Thread

Is it guaranteed that we will face Madrid? should we win our group and they finish second?
Did you see the way they defended against spurs? Suicidal high line, fullbacks nowhere to be seen. If they defend like that against us they're gonna need a bigger scoreboard, bring it on.

Did you see the way they defended against spurs? Suicidal high line, fullbacks nowhere to be seen. If they defend like that against us they're gonna need a bigger scoreboard, bring it on.

Tbf they were missing navas, carvahjl and varane. We'd be wank defensively if we were missing our main back line.

I still fancy our chances against them though. Pep will win the tactical battle against Zidane

Tbf they were missing navas, carvahjl and varane. We'd be wank defensively if we were missing our main back line.

I still fancy our chances against them though. Pep will win the tactical battle against Zidane
thats assuming Zidane is still there come the knockout phase

I've said plenty of positives already, so please don't take this the wrong way.

But I thought it was worth mentioning that at times we were hoofing it up the field far too much, and when we did that, we conceded possession every time and went back to defending again. Napoli pressed us better than any team I've seen this season, cutting off angles and putting our defenders under immense pressure. Delph in particular ended up passing it back to Ederson pretty often.

We need to really work on keeping our composure and not resorting to hoofing it. We just do not have the midfield or strikers to win the ball if it's hoofed forward.

That said, I don't think any PL side this season will press us as well as Napoli did. The danger for any side trying to do this is of course once we've beaten the press, we've taken 3 or 4 or 5 opposition players right out of the game and we can attack them at speed.
I did wonder if the hoofing was deliberate rather than forced. Giving Napoli possession was a risk but to force us to hoof it they had to run like blue arsed flies to close us down. Before they scored I thought it was just "rope a dope" tactics to tire them out, which it did. Extending the boxing terminology I think our enemy could be complacency - some fans if not the team already thinking Sunday v Arsenal will just be the latest "bum a month" contest.

I did wonder if the hoofing was deliberate rather than forced. Giving Napoli possession was a risk but to force us to hoof it they had to run like blue arsed flies to close us down. Before they scored I thought it was just "rope a dope" tactics to tire them out, which it did. Extending the boxing terminology I think our enemy could be complacency - some fans if not the team already thinking Sunday v Arsenal will just be the latest "bum a month" contest.

This is my reading of the game after the event but I'd be really interested to hear if this was a deliberate plan. We weren't really pressing them like you'd expect from recent performances. KDB in particular was poor for their first goal I think and he barely found a man for the first 20 minutes. There were passages of play where we played the passes deep in our own box but we didn't look like we wanted to beat the press before hitting it long and losing possession. It could obvious be that Napoli were playing well OR it might be we were playing dead a little

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.