Napoli Away

117 M34 said:
danburge82 said:
My parents and their friends all went on a Med cruise a few years ago. They stopped off in Naples and they said it was a fucking big mistake getting off the boat. Some scrote tried to snatch me Mams bag within a few minutes of getting on land. My Dad's mate said there were people on mopeds everywhere shouting stuff at them. Then after they'd had something to eat two blokes tried to get them to follow them down an alleyway "to go to a beautiful restaurant" but when my Dad said "no thanks, we've just eaten" these blokes tried to force them to go down this alleyway. My Dad's a bit of a hard fucker and just tucked em off and they all walked back to the boat. As my Dad looked back he said there were about eight blokes stood at the top of the alleyway... anything could have happened to them!

Your dad did what?

He tucked em off!!!! Only this week my sister-in -law was punched in the face and assaulted by a mugger attempting to grab the keys for her 4x4. 2 years ago my Mum had her purse stolen out of her handbag in a supermarket. The venues for these incidents? Perth Australia and Portsmouth UK!!! Please folks get a sense of perspective.
In all I have been to Napoli about 30 times...last time was with a Stoke City fan....we had dinner in a restaurant in the Quartieri Spagnoli (Spanish Quarters) as I always do (fantastic tucker). This is Camorra land....but they are not interested in me...it's petty crooks you have to watch for the world over.
Too many people have a jaundiced view of Napoli because they spend 10 minutes in Piazza Garribaldi (an unpleasant area)whilst on transit from the airport to Sorrento, Amalfi, Pompei etc. Seriously it's no good going to a city without researching it, getting Google earth to understand the layout etc.
Yes this is a city with with grinding poverty but if you take a little time and research you will uncover 1 of the worlds gems.

Below is an article I wrote for tripadvisor some time ago where I traveller from a boat asked what he could achieve in a day;

Well for someone to call Naples a 'dump' makes me think I am totally mad. For all its faults this city fascinates me more than the big apple. If you have only a day you won't even scratch the surface. A day trip to Pompei, Ischia, Procida or Capri willl eat up most of a day and you won't see the treasures of this city. If you are near the port area and you have only a day I would do something like this:

1. On your walk upto the city centre pose for a photo outside the Castel Nuovo. If you feel really energetic climb up the ramparts.

2. Just 200metres away is San Carlo's theatre the 1st opera house in the world...inside is glorious but you may have to book before your trip (online)

3. Opposite is the Galleria...a real architectural diamond. Buy a cake from Mary's at one of the entrances.

4. Proceed from there to Piazza dei Plebiscito and see the lovely basilica and if you feel inclined do a tour of the Royal Palace that is opposite.

5. In the square if you look towards the castle on the hill you will see Caffe Gambrinus. Stand at the bar and have a coffee very cheap (expensive if you sit)...enjoy some people watching..

6. Now walk up Via Toledo and do some window shopping. All the alley ways to your left are the Quartieri Spagnoli (Spanish Quarters)very atmospheric and very Napoli.

7. When you reach Piazza Carita turn left into Via Pignasecca for a glimpse of real Neapolitan life. At the top of Via Pignasecca is the Montesanto station. Buy a ticket for the funicular railway which leaves from the upper floor.

8. When you get out of the funicular follow the signs for Castel St Elmo. Get the lift up and discover one of the most mind blowing views in the world.

9. Go back down the funicular and walk back down the Pignasecca. Near the lower end is a pizzeria called Da Attilio. Go in and have the margherita pizza. Don't order a fancy pizza with loads of toppings...just a plain margherita. I promise you the taste is heaven on earth....and any other pizza you've had will seem exceedingly ordinary.

If you feel daring eat in the Spanish Quarters. " excellent restaurants I use there. Nennella's (cheap as chips 100% crazy Neapolitan) and Hosteria Toleda (more upmarket)

10. After lunch you must take a stroll up Spacca Napoli(blink and you'll miss the opening). The Old Greek Road that is straight as a die. Pop your head into the church Jesu Nuovo to see real baroque architecture. You could buy a travellers guide for this area alone..at least make sure you visit Via Gregorio Armeno. If you like mystery go to the chapel of San Severo to see one of the finest sculptures in Italy... By my reckoning the best

11. You could spend nearly all day in this area very easily...at the far end is Il Duomo where the liqufaction of St Gennaro's blood happens.

12. At this point you could easily make your way to the National Museum and see all the artifacts and statues from Pompei and Italy. The scale of some of these sculptures is amazing and in pristine condition. Perhaps the 2nd most important museum in the world after Cairo.

13. Now make your way back to the port area. If you have time pop down to Castel Del'Ovo on the seafront. This is the area of Santa Lucia famous for its little fishing boats and restaurants and that famous song that all the tenors murder..a nice place to have some dinner. You can go up the castel ramparts for a lovely view of the bay.

If you can fit this in in 1 day you will have done well (the Palace visit and Museum will eat up hours so think carefully).

As soon as I arrive I would go to a tourist information area and get the free street plan they offer. I would also use Google earth so that you can understand the geography of the city. Naples is a city full of aesthetic treasures (as well as the garbage problem that sufaces periodically) and in a day you cannot expect to see everything...but at least this little tour will give a flavour. Research the City on the internet before you go and you won't waste valuable time.

I hope you have a great time. Usual rules apply in Naples....don't have any gold or fancy watches on show.

Now on the Man City visit I wouldn't recommend a trip into the Spanish Quarters because it is home to "Teste Matte" and "Brigata Carolina" (2 of Napoli's crews) . But if you were a tourist it is a must see area.

Here is my last visit to the city:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cI_pAOuBJzY[/youtube]

pete1201 said:
117 M34 said:
danburge82 said:
My parents and their friends all went on a Med cruise a few years ago. They stopped off in Naples and they said it was a fucking big mistake getting off the boat. Some scrote tried to snatch me Mams bag within a few minutes of getting on land. My Dad's mate said there were people on mopeds everywhere shouting stuff at them. Then after they'd had something to eat two blokes tried to get them to follow them down an alleyway "to go to a beautiful restaurant" but when my Dad said "no thanks, we've just eaten" these blokes tried to force them to go down this alleyway. My Dad's a bit of a hard fucker and just tucked em off and they all walked back to the boat. As my Dad looked back he said there were about eight blokes stood at the top of the alleyway... anything could have happened to them!

Your dad did what?

He tucked em off!!!! Only this week my sister-in -law was punched in the face and assaulted by a mugger attempting to grab the keys for her 4x4. 2 years ago my Mum had her purse stolen out of her handbag in a supermarket. The venues for these incidents? Perth Australia and Portsmouth UK!!! Please folks get a sense of perspective.
In all I have been to Napoli about 30 times...last time was with a Stoke City fan....we had dinner in a restaurant in the Quartieri Spagnoli (Spanish Quarters) as I always do (fantastic tucker). This is Camorra land....but they are not interested in me...it's petty crooks you have to watch for the world over.
Too many people have a jaundiced view of Napoli because they spend 10 minutes in Piazza Garribaldi (an unpleasant area)whilst on transit from the airport to Sorrento, Amalfi, Pompei etc. Seriously it's no good going to a city without researching it, getting Google earth to understand the layout etc.
Yes this is a city with with grinding poverty but if you take a little time and research you will uncover 1 of the worlds gems.

Below is an article I wrote for tripadvisor some time ago where I traveller from a boat asked what he could achieve in a day;

Well for someone to call Naples a 'dump' makes me think I am totally mad. For all its faults this city fascinates me more than the big apple. If you have only a day you won't even scratch the surface. A day trip to Pompei, Ischia, Procida or Capri willl eat up most of a day and you won't see the treasures of this city. If you are near the port area and you have only a day I would do something like this:

1. On your walk upto the city centre pose for a photo outside the Castel Nuovo. If you feel really energetic climb up the ramparts.

2. Just 200metres away is San Carlo's theatre the 1st opera house in the world...inside is glorious but you may have to book before your trip (online)

3. Opposite is the Galleria...a real architectural diamond. Buy a cake from Mary's at one of the entrances.

4. Proceed from there to Piazza dei Plebiscito and see the lovely basilica and if you feel inclined do a tour of the Royal Palace that is opposite.

5. In the square if you look towards the castle on the hill you will see Caffe Gambrinus. Stand at the bar and have a coffee very cheap (expensive if you sit)...enjoy some people watching..

6. Now walk up Via Toledo and do some window shopping. All the alley ways to your left are the Quartieri Spagnoli (Spanish Quarters)very atmospheric and very Napoli.

7. When you reach Piazza Carita turn left into Via Pignasecca for a glimpse of real Neapolitan life. At the top of Via Pignasecca is the Montesanto station. Buy a ticket for the funicular railway which leaves from the upper floor.

8. When you get out of the funicular follow the signs for Castel St Elmo. Get the lift up and discover one of the most mind blowing views in the world.

9. Go back down the funicular and walk back down the Pignasecca. Near the lower end is a pizzeria called Da Attilio. Go in and have the margherita pizza. Don't order a fancy pizza with loads of toppings...just a plain margherita. I promise you the taste is heaven on earth....and any other pizza you've had will seem exceedingly ordinary.

If you feel daring eat in the Spanish Quarters. " excellent restaurants I use there. Nennella's (cheap as chips 100% crazy Neapolitan) and Hosteria Toleda (more upmarket)

10. After lunch you must take a stroll up Spacca Napoli(blink and you'll miss the opening). The Old Greek Road that is straight as a die. Pop your head into the church Jesu Nuovo to see real baroque architecture. You could buy a travellers guide for this area alone..at least make sure you visit Via Gregorio Armeno. If you like mystery go to the chapel of San Severo to see one of the finest sculptures in Italy... By my reckoning the best

11. You could spend nearly all day in this area very easily...at the far end is Il Duomo where the liqufaction of St Gennaro's blood happens.

12. At this point you could easily make your way to the National Museum and see all the artifacts and statues from Pompei and Italy. The scale of some of these sculptures is amazing and in pristine condition. Perhaps the 2nd most important museum in the world after Cairo.

13. Now make your way back to the port area. If you have time pop down to Castel Del'Ovo on the seafront. This is the area of Santa Lucia famous for its little fishing boats and restaurants and that famous song that all the tenors murder..a nice place to have some dinner. You can go up the castel ramparts for a lovely view of the bay.

If you can fit this in in 1 day you will have done well (the Palace visit and Museum will eat up hours so think carefully).

As soon as I arrive I would go to a tourist information area and get the free street plan they offer. I would also use Google earth so that you can understand the geography of the city. Naples is a city full of aesthetic treasures (as well as the garbage problem that sufaces periodically) and in a day you cannot expect to see everything...but at least this little tour will give a flavour. Research the City on the internet before you go and you won't waste valuable time.

I hope you have a great time. Usual rules apply in Naples....don't have any gold or fancy watches on show.

Now on the Man City visit I wouldn't recommend a trip into the Spanish Quarters because it is home to "Teste Matte" and "Brigata Carolina" (2 of Napoli's crews) . But if you were a tourist it is a must see area.

Great video Pete thanks for posting, looks like a great amosphere considering the kick off time!

Where in the ground will we be situated in relation to that video fella?

Hi Bill...City fans will be sited in the 'Settore ospiti'(visitors section) . This is directly next to Curva A.
On the video below drag the slider to 11:00 and play it till about 11:30. As you can see I am sited in the same place as the Lazio game.
The camera pans along the 'distinti'(side) to Curva A (behind the goal) and then onto the settore ospiti where you can see the dippers beginning to arrive.
Curva A and Curva B will put on a choreography for the game...most likely Curva B so have your cameras ready.
Napoli is unique in Italy in that it has 2 kops (for want of a better word!!!)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8UnVs8Qh64[/youtube]

Jordie said:
I have never been to Naples but i have travelled a lot and i would be fairly confident it isn't as bad as Moston, Beswick, Ancoats or Longsight so man up you soft shites.

You have much to learn pal!!

Imagine being a villain with the law backing you up . . !

pete1201 said:
117 M34 said:
danburge82 said:

Your dad did what?

Posted this earlier before you came on here, don't worry you don't HAVE to pay me if you don't want to ;)

I'm ready. all the essentials ready. Now tickets and hotel.

globalarmour6.jpg

donl8l.png

M61_Grenade.jpg

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.