NATO

It also makes it far easier for the USA to fight the next war to the last drop of European blood.

And charge us crippling amounts of cold, hard, cash for the next several decades For the privilege of sending our young working class men and women off to die for American values.

Hard to take anyone who thinks NATO members have to fight for America seriously when Belgium, Canada, Denmark, France, Iceland, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Greece, Turkey, Germany, Spain, Czech Republic, Hungary, and Poland all declined to join the United States war in Iraq.

To me it is just a necessary defensive alliance. I'm sure we'd all rather live in a world where such an alliance wasn't necessary (just as we would wish that having armed forces wasn't necessary).

This July will mark 70 years since the last war between world powers, a period of relative peace completely unheard of for centuries.

Nuclear weapons are the reason for this, and the only way to stop the massive proliferation of nuclear weapons is to have defensive alliances like NATO that can bring non-nuclear powers under the defensive umbrella of those with nuclear weapons.

I agree with you about the Soviet sacrifice winning the war, but that was largely based upon their disregard for their own and everyone else's lives. I think Berlin was plenty far enough for 'uncle Joe' Stalin to come thankyou very much. Also, the Americans pretty much owned us after ww2 so it wasn't really a case of 'giving' them bases as them deciding to stay on on bases where they had also committed blood and treasure to the downfall of facism.

You can make just as good an argument that China saved us from fascism in WW2 as the Soviets or the US.

If Chang Kai-Shek's resistance had collapsed and Japan had succeeded in China like everyone expected them to, then not only is there nothing stopping the Japanese from resuming their war with the Soviets in the east, forcing them into fighting 2 wars 3,000 miles apart, but also there's no Pearl Harbour and probably no American boots in Europe in time.

It was set up as a defensive coalition - you attack one you attack all - which is why those around Russia seeking to join should be fast tracked because if you attack a member then it becomes and offensive force to drive the attacker out of the NATO protected land.

When it comes to offensive actions then the last say 50 years have shown how when needs be western powers have formed offensive coalitions of like minded states to do what they feel is needed. The two functions can and should be kept apart.

What are you thoughts?

Is it a purely defensive alliance or is it an alliance that is a tool for western imperialism?

Does it act as an arm of corporate military suppliers or is it a necessary tool in the armoury against an aggressive Putin?

Is NATO basically an extension of capitalist power or does it make you sleep easier at night?

I was against the Iraq war, Blairs compliance has arguably led to the issues we face with immigration and small boats today.

It is something that is rarely discussed, it is sort of accepted that being a member of NATO is a good thing, it has after all meant no war in Western Europe since the end of WW2 , which is a good thing. Yet war seems a real threat and Putin talks about nuclear weapons.

It is a real quandary even for me who has been a life long supporter of CND and an anti war advocate.

Former Soviet bloc countries in Eastern Europe, and now Sweden and Finland, joined NATO/are applying to join NATO for one simple reason. Security.

NATO will continue to expand because Russia is considered an existential threat to these counties, and after the invasion of Ukraine and the bloody year long conflict there, that threat will be alive for generations to come.

Russia is the biggest promoter of NATO. If there was no threat, then NATO would ultimately fade. You reap what you sow and all that.

Very naive to place NATO as the bad guys. Perhaps you should look at the totalitarianism regimes, past and present that NATO has acted and still acts against as a deterrent, and decide which side of the fence you would rather be on.

There's nothing like the smell of anti American sentiment in the morning, another day another grenade launched disguised as St Davids day Daffodils.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.