NBC want two English games to be played in USA

These games played in yanksville are obviously the precursor for the league game attempts.
Play games in US and get everyone used to the scenario.
Classic marketing ploy...
I see it differently.

America is a country with huge potential for growth of the Premier League brand, and the only time clubs can exploit this potential market is pre-season.

Why wouldn’t you?

I see it differently.

America is a country with huge potential for growth of the Premier League brand, and the only time clubs can exploit this potential market is pre-season.

Why wouldn’t you?
You sound like a yank sports TV executive selling the 39th game.
The Americans expect to be the ctr of everything. They are the verruca salt of this world.
If they want the premier league over there, they get it. But let's not kid ourselves the clubs are not complicit in this also. Games would be played there already if the fans were not so opposed.
The clubs take the dollar, eventually they will need to supply something in return.
Makes me think of why the yanks split from England in the 1st place. 'Taxation without representation' was their mantra. Exactly the same here. They see their money going out and want something in return.

Whose idea was it to play NFL games away from American soil? Did those countries ask or did the NFL just decide that we needed it?

Premier league in the US of A is a big NO-NO from me, I can only cope with watching Diana fucking Ross missing a penalty and the goals still exploding once in my life. Razzamatazz extravaganza overload, nah, not for me thanks.

I don't agree with MLB, NBA and NFL games being played in the UK. I certainly hate the idea of English footy games being played in the US.

It's bad enough that matchday tickets are at an extortionate price thanks to the demand from tourists.

What will they do if a team loses one home game from the season as a result of playing abroad?

Last edited:
Whose idea was it to play NFL games away from American soil? Did those countries ask or did the NFL just decide that we needed it?

Premier league in the US of A is a big NO-NO from me, I can only cope with watching Diana fucking Ross missing a penalty and the goals still exploding once in my life. Razzamatazz extravaganza overload, nah, not for me thanks.

It’s not really a great comparison because the NFL has a monopoly on top level American football.

They take their league abroad as part of a long term expansion plan of their league. Which is in effect the sport in general.

That’s a completely different scenario to the Premier League potentially taking games abroad. They wouldn’t do that in an attempt to expand the game. The game is already there. They would be looking to make the Premier League more popular at the expense of the host countries league.

Something the NFL doesn’t have to worry about.

I've always thought one of the great selling points of the premier league in the US was the authenticity of it. That's certainly been what Americans who follow it tell me.

Relegation, promotion, full stadiums of regional accents singing silly songs, endless fierce local rivalries between towns that in an American context are no further away than the nearest Walmart.

NFL translates out because people want spectacle and glitz, I don't think the PL translates into that market on the same terms. No doubt it would do money for us and the league, but I think you'd run a risk of diluting the league's brand in the long run.

Could see them doing a top four team playoff comp to replace the community shield to kick off the season, though, if they sweeten the pot for the four teams and the FA enough.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.