NBC want two English games to be played in USA

I see it differently.

America is a country with huge potential for growth of the Premier League brand, and the only time clubs can exploit this potential market is pre-season.

Why wouldn’t you?
I agree with you 100% V70. However, my issue with bringing the English game to these shores could only really happen after the festive season.
Until January, there are 32 American football fields that you cannot use, these are the stadia that the American owners would want to use. Post January is also the beginning of the run in for the PL crown. As much as I would love to see City play at "the Linc", I wouldn't want to see them have to fly at least 3000 miles to a strange pitch in a strange city to draw with Spurs while arsenal cruises to a 3-0 win at home against Villa, who gets City at Villa Park on the following Wednesday night.

I am a Yank who does not want the PL playing games of ANY consequence over here, regarding league position. Someone else suggested to give us the community shield, but play it on the Wednesday night prior to when it is generally played.

I agree with you 100% V70. However, my issue with bringing the English game to these shores could only really happen after the festive season.
Until January, there are 32 American football fields that you cannot use, these are the stadia that the American owners would want to use. Post January is also the beginning of the run in for the PL crown. As much as I would love to see City play at "the Linc", I wouldn't want to see them have to fly at least 3000 miles to a strange pitch in a strange city to draw with Spurs while arsenal cruises to a 3-0 win at home against Villa, who gets City at Villa Park on the following Wednesday night.

I am a Yank who does not want the PL playing games of ANY consequence over here, regarding league position. Someone else suggested to give us the community shield, but play it on the Wednesday night prior to when it is generally played.
Right. I don't see a world where you can achieve any sporting equality with it in a sport where home/away is so important and when 3 points could be the difference between a league title, relegation or European place for potentially up to 15 teams in the league.

I've always thought one of the great selling points of the premier league in the US was the authenticity of it. That's certainly been what Americans who follow it tell me.

Relegation, promotion, full stadiums of regional accents singing silly songs, endless fierce local rivalries between towns that in an American context are no further away than the nearest Walmart.

NFL translates out because people want spectacle and glitz, I don't think the PL translates into that market on the same terms. No doubt it would do money for us and the league, but I think you'd run a risk of diluting the league's brand in the long run.

Could see them doing a top four team playoff comp to replace the community shield to kick off the season, though, if they sweeten the pot for the four teams and the FA enough.
I get your reasoning behind the last paragraph, sounds good in theory but it would restrict 3 of the 4 teams (based over recent season's final top 4 positions) to be playing in the US every summer. City have been in the top 4 for the past 13 seasons!

I get your reasoning behind the last paragraph, sounds good in theory but it would restrict 3 of the 4 teams (based over recent season's final top 4 positions) to be playing in the US every summer. City have been in the top 4 for the past 13 seasons!
I suppose you could pitch it as a global competition with competitive bidding and clubs would have to push their pre-season tours forward a week or two. But you do get the feeling that FIFA and UEFA are on the verge of killing the golden goose already so I'm not sure how anyone would feel about squeezing another game into the schedule. Money talks, though, I suppose!

What do the American football fans think of some of their games coming over here (Wembley/Spurs), there has to be a parallel with our 'product' going the other way?

What do the American football fans think of some of their games coming over here (Wembley/Spurs), there has to be a parallel with our 'product' going the other way?
It really doesn't matter what we think, we're fans. We'll watch on TV at 6 in the morning, we'll buy the new shirts rolled out specifically for that game etc. We're all just fish waiting for a hook.

will never happen if Trump gets in, he'll pull the septics out of FIFA as well as NATO

Right. I don't see a world where you can achieve any sporting equality with it in a sport where home/away is so important and when 3 points could be the difference between a league title, relegation or European place for potentially up to 15 teams in the league.
And that's why it will never happen in the real world.
Twenty-five pages of people getting their knickers in a twist over nothing.
NBC want it - big bloody deal. They won't get it just as I won't win the lottery.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.