Nedum Onuoha thank you for your honesty.

You really can't blame Nedum for being upset with Cook, and Cook's behaviour over this affair didn't exactly place him in a good light. He had to resign (but there was a suspicion that this suited him).

But there was more to this than is realised. My memory is a little hazy on the exact sequence but I got involved by accident as I think I was a mod at the time and a poster (who was a good pal of Nedum's) put up some personal information about himself and the goings on that I didn't think he should have. So I contacted him and got the whole story (as he told it).

The offending email had actually been sent a year before the story broke and when you realise that, you realise there was more to it than a simple email going to the wrong person. Ned's family were very friendly with the Wright-Philips's, so Ian Wright knew Ned's late mum.

At the time the email was originally sent, Ian Wright was trying to get SWP a new contract at City so had no interest in rocking the boat. But once those talks broke down a year later, and it was clear there wouldn't be a new contract, he passed the story onto the media. He denied he'd been paid but I believe he was. However I also believe he passed it on to Mrs Onuoha, so he didn't benefit from it directly.

Anyway, the background got passed to the club and suddenly it all went quiet. I have some sympathy for Cook, who presumably pressed 'Reply all' instead of 'Reply' to Marwood's forwarding of the email from Mrs Onuoha, but his attempts to wriggle out of it, instead of just admitting his mistake and apologising, sealed his fate. You may well thin Ian Wright's part in this was a little cynical or you might think it was entirely justified. I can see both viewpoints and tend to think it was a bit of both.
The sense of dread Cook got after sending that email must have been immense. :')

I just don’t get the hate for Gary Cook. He was exactly what we needed at the time. He wasn’t perfect but who is? He did a great job for us overall and helped us on our way to where we are now.
He was good at his job but he still mocked Nedum's dying mother.

That's grade-A twat behaviour and everyone who can't see why people don't like Cook, I can only assume, have never had a loved one go through something like terminal cancer.

Nobody is perfect, but that doesn't mean you can get away with being a ****, which Cook is.

Wouldn't play him, promoted Boyata above him. That is more or less it from the podcast, just froze him out.
Was he not injured a lot during Mancini's first season.
Seem to remember him playing against the rags in that late Scholes goal game.
That's it.

Seriously? Imagine if that was your mother who had cancer and received an email like that, how do you think she and yourself would have reacted? Don't forget that she died of cancer around a year later. Cook, for all the love he gets on here, was to all appearances American and had that arrogance mixed in with ignorance that many of them seem to display. Thank god we got rid.
Yeah a few big reds i know we’re gutted when he left. They were saying the blokes a clown and causes loads of problems with his gob. They said you’ll get someone more professional now. Can’t say they’ve been proved wrong really.

Was he not injured a lot during Mancini's first season.
Seem to remember him playing against the rags in that late Scholes goal game.
That's it.
Think Bobby had history of fuming with players who were injured a lot. Great manager for us who i’ll always love but definitely had some personality floors.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.