Nedum Onuoha the pundit

That's a fair point when you think of it from the fans point of view. I'm sure there was a bit more to it though. The mental side of being injured probably wasn't addressed back then. I remember reading that the new villa manager basically forced him to play through what would be his final injury. So bad luck /management also a factor.
I knew someone deep inside the club during the time with his knee problem, and the club not wanting him to play in the Olympic tournament, he was told he was risking his career, he ignored that advice.

He and players of his era had lot's of support, it was players from the past that had zero and also poor medical advice.

I used to watch Richard Edghill after his cruciate injury, in the gym every day, on his own, no medical supervision, just doing his own thing, just trying everything he could to get back to some sort of fitness level, and at the same time getting verbal abuse from his own fans. Guy's like that I have every sympathy in the world for, Micha Richards does not fall into that category in anyway.

Filling in on 5 live tonight. Kind a wish Micah would have more weekends away. Proper pundit.

Nedum, Chapman and Rory Smith are about as close as you get in this country to good, balanced and serious football discussion on mainstream media in this country. Even Sutton stops playing the 606 idiot when he doesn't have Savage or Micah around to clown about with and contributes, although I cold tear my hair out when someone uses a statistic and instead of discussing the statistic, Sutton butts in to do the same old routine decrying all stats he's done for 5 years.

I love Micah as a person and as a blue, but I genuinely can't watch clips of him anymore. That laugh genuinely grates. It's just too much, all of the time.

I was in 127 today instead of my usual SS3 as I had family with me and I spoke to Nedum twice. Once just to say hello when he was coming off pitch side after doing a piece at HT & just before the final whistle when he was making his way up to the media bit at the back of that block. I told him I thought he was doing a great job in his media role and he seemed very appreciative.

He is easily one of the most intelligent and articulate pundits out there.

I was in 127 today instead of my usual SS3 as I had family with me and I spoke to Nedum twice. Once just to say hello when he was coming off pitch side after doing a piece at HT & just before the final whistle when he was making his way up to the media bit at the back of that block. I told him I thought he was doing a great job in his media role and he seemed very appreciative.

He is easily one of the most intelligent and articulate pundits out there.
Yes he was on ESPN+ and very good he was too

Nedum, Chapman and Rory Smith are about as close as you get in this country to good, balanced and serious football discussion on mainstream media in this country. Even Sutton stops playing the 606 idiot when he doesn't have Savage or Micah around to clown about with and contributes, although I cold tear my hair out when someone uses a statistic and instead of discussing the statistic, Sutton butts in to do the same old routine decrying all stats he's done for 5 years.
Smith’s a snide pompous little **** but I agree with the rest of your point about the rarity of intelligent discussion. The trouble is the general dumbing down of everything in society results in us having buffoons or drones foisted on us.

I think the wider problem though is the explosion of “analysis” and punditry in the last 20 years in terms of the time it takes up. We don’t need endless explanations of systems or tactics, we just want ex players we know and like / respect to have a brief chat about the important moments in a game. MOTD now will typically show maybe 9 or 10 mins of highlights of a game followed by 5 mins of analysis most of which is blindingly obvious to anyone who’s ever watched a bit of footy.

Live games where they spend a good half hour afterwards revisiting every fuckin aspect of the 90 mins are just tedious. When you’re leaving the ground with a mate how long do you honestly spend talking about the match before you revert to non footy conversation - 5 minutes tops ? unless it’s a hugely important game.

I've not watched any of the Afcon but I did overhear the TV the other day and was pleasantly surprised to hear Nedum doing analysis of a game for what I think was the the BBC. Would be fantastic if he smashed that, impressed and got himself in the door there. Get rid of the modern day missing link Martin Keown if they need to make room.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.