Ambulance Blues
Saddle Up The Palomino
Thrasher
Star of Bethlehem
When you Dance
Are there any more Real Cowboys
Look out for My Love
Lost in space.

According to the NYA site they are going to be loading up some "official bootlegs" on an un-announced basis "starting with 5 great bootlegs".

I used to have a huge collection of bootlegs (probably well over 500) but I got rid of 99%, keeping only true gems like the 1974 Bottom Line club solo show where he debuted most of the On the Beach album and a couple of the 1984 Catalyst Club shows where he showed what Landing on Water could have been like with Crazy Horse and appropriate production.

I am looking forward to seeing what emerges from this...

Details (including track lists) of Archives Volume 2 were published over the weekend.

There will be 10 disks altogether, but 3 of them were already available via the Performance and Special Release series: Roxy; Tuscaloosa; Homegrown.

However, one of them (Roxy) comes with an extra song: The Losing End.

NYA Volume 2 will be out on November 20.

Across the other 7 disks there seem to be quite a few never before released songs or alternative versions of tracks found on various albums.

One of the disks (entitled Walk On) largely covers the On the Beach era and also includes a never before released track: Greensleeves. I recall he played that song live at the Bottom Line Club bootleg so I was wondering if this might be an official live version of the same show. Probably not as he also debuted Long May You Run on that occasion, but that song doesn't appear on the tracklist for Walk On, so maybe he recorded Greensleeves in the studio.

I'll have to wait until November to find out...

According to the NYA site they are going to be loading up some "official bootlegs" on an un-announced basis "starting with 5 great bootlegs".

I used to have a huge collection of bootlegs (probably well over 500) but I got rid of 99%, keeping only true gems like the 1974 Bottom Line club solo show where he debuted most of the On the Beach album and a couple of the 1984 Catalyst Club shows where he showed what Landing on Water could have been like with Crazy Horse and appropriate production.

I am looking forward to seeing what emerges from this...

Details of the 1st six "official bootlegs" have just been released. Release date is tentatively set for April 2021.

The first 3 should be good but are from an already well-covered period for live recordings. The last 3 are much more exciting, as I said already the Bottom Line club recording is my favourite NY bootleg ever. The audience didn't even now Neil would be playing until he stepped on stage, they were expecting Ry Cooder...

• Carnegie Hall Dec 4, 1970 - first show.
  • Royce Hall. January 30, 1971
  • Dorothy Chandler Pavilion. Feb 1, 1971
  • Under The Rainbow. Nov 3, 1973
  • The Bottom Line aka ‘Citizen Kane Jr. Blues’ May 16, 1974
  • The Ducks - ‘Trick of Disaster’ August 1977

Interesting article (not really an article but anyway) ranking his albums.

Needless to say the order is very debatable and I would say his rank 1 is a bit of a cop out, but the one thing that startled me was that Harvest was ranked so low.

Now, the guy is entitled to his opinion and again where the album should be ranked will be debated to death but I cannot think of any other artist that produced an album of that standard only for it to be ranked where he saw fit (see how I haven't provided any spoilers ;-) ).

Bluemooners have pitted a few bands / artists up against the Beatles on here (I assume the Beatles came out as landslide winners as usual), but did we ever line Mr Young up against them?

Last edited:

Interesting article (not really an article but anyway) ranking his albums.

Needless to say the order is very debatable and I would say his rank 1 is a bit of a cop out, but the one thing that startled me was that Harvest was ranked so low.

Now, the guy is entitled to his opinion and again where the album should be ranked will be debated to death but I cannot think of any other artist that produced an album of that standard only for it to be ranked where he saw fit (see how I haven't provided any spoilers ;-) ).

Bluemooners have pitted a few bands / artists up against the Beatles on here (I adsu the Beatles came out as landslide winners as usual), but did we ever line Mr Young up against them?
He's ranked Harvest Moon higher than Harvest which is a bit odd I think.

The big surprise for me on that list is how high he's ranked This Note's for You...

It's all subjective though and my opinions sometimes change over time. e.g. I've said on this thread previously how much I hate Landing on Water, but I've listened to that album maybe 5 times in the past couple of months and it's growing on me a bit.

His worst album for me is probably Are You Passionate?, but one or two of the recent ones are pushing it close, especially Storytone (the orchestral version, I don't mind the solo acoustic version so much).

A ranked list of his 21st century output would be interesting to do...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.