Neil Young

No room for Harvest in a top 5?

I really like Aphex's top 5 except I'd have Rust Never Sleeps in for American Stars n Bars.

For me Harvest is maybe a bit too polished? The orchestra backed numbers (London Symphony Orchestra I think it was) don't belong on a Neil album for me. It's somewhere around 8th on my list. I absolutely love Out on the Weekend though, one of his best songs. Birds is a great song too.

Edit: my top 10 is:

1.Tonight's the Night
2. Zuma
3. Rust Never Sleeps
4. After the Goldrush
5. On the Beach
6. Time Fades Away
7. Ragged Glory
8. Comes a Time
9. Harvest
10. Hawks and Doves

Bottom 3 (only up to 2010)

Landing on Water
Are you Passionate?
Life

I really like Aphex's top 5 except I'd have Rust Never Sleeps in for American Stars n Bars.

For me Harvest is maybe a bit too polished? The orchestra backed numbers (London Symphony Orchestra I think it was) don't belong on a Neil album for me. It's somewhere around 8th on my list. I absolutely love Out on the Weekend though, one of his best songs. Birds is a great song too.

Edit: my top 10 is:

1.Tonight's the Night
2. Zuma
3. Rust Never Sleeps
4. After the Goldrush
5. On the Beach
6. Time Fades Away
7. Ragged Glory
8. Comes a Time
9. Harvest
10. Hawks and Doves

Bottom 3 (only up to 2010)

Landing on Water
Are you Passionate?
Life
We have common ground on the bit in bold - an unmistakable sound as soon as the album starts, within about half a second it's easily identifiable who you are listening to.

I get what you are saying on it being polished - the opposite reason that I like Tonights the night etc so much is that the vocals are loose and he is struggling with his voice a bit (sounds great to me).

Again, I see what you are saying on orchestra it isn't my preferred sound of his. That's saying all in all for me there are some belters on Harvest which puts it in a similar realm to After the Goldrush (however I am happy to concede that I have played the latter album to death which may be distorting my views on it).

Very much looking forward to hearing his latest release...........

If you could only take one of his albums, it would have to be Live Rust. Career classic recording.

I was one of the few who enjoyed Trans too; Computer Age, Sample & Hold, some great tracks on there.

D'oh. Halfway through my lunchtime walk I remembered that Birds was on ATGR not Harvest.

BTW, Archives Volume 2 is supposed to be released at long last during August.

10CDs filled with rarities, alternative studio recording and other material from the 1972-late 1970s period.
I do it all the time - age catches up with us all ......... :-)

If you could only take one of his albums, it would have to be Live Rust. Career classic recording.

I was one of the few who enjoyed Trans too; Computer Age, Sample & Hold, some great tracks on there.

I agree, Trans is a good album, and IMHO by far the best of his 'genre' albums. It was a toss up between Trans and Hawks and Doves for inclusion in my top 10. (Mind you, I also thought about Sleeps with Angels and Broken Arrow).

I like Trans.

I think I'd favour Weld over Live rust but not played either in ages so might have to put that to the test sometime soon.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.