Nelson Mandela RIP

Sheikh said:
Dakeb said:
nijinsky's fetlocks said:
I doubt you would actually get the point if you sat on a pitchfork.
Some areas of Britain have horrendous crime statistics.
Some areas of South Africa have horrendous crime figures.
So therefore sensible folk don't judge the whole country based on one of it's constituent parts.

Having lived there for 17 years I think I am qualified to comment on it. Knowing most of my friends and colleagues have been subjected to violent crime of varying degrees. Here are some highlights for you. These examples all occurred between 1995 and 1998 so yes, well after democracy and truth and reconciliation had happened.

One of my draughtsmen stabbed 14 times in his own living room.
An old lady neighbour beaten so badly her own teeth were found on opposite sides of the room, just before she was garotted with a wire.
My boss kidnapped in a car jacking.
My friends held up and mugged at gunpoint in broad daylight inside Durban central main post office.
Commuting through a multi car pile up with bodies strewn over the road caused by what? Fog like here? No. Caused by a BMW opening fire with an AK47 on a minibus taxi on the motorway "for stealing another taxi firms passengers".
Other friends held up at knifepoint and mugged of all their grocery shopping in a supermarket car park.
Other friends attempted car jacking at knifepoint in a busy shopping mall car park in broad daylight.
My own car broken into and robbed outside my house and garden equipment and barbeques stolen.
One of my black workers beaten up by other black workers and thrown into a vat of boiling caustic soda in the factory.

These are real offences against people I knew or first hand witnessing of events. There were other events too but I think that's enough for now.

How many of these types of crimes against people you personally knew or witnessed have you seen here in the UK? Believe me my friend, there is no comparison, so I ask you kindly not to be so insulting of my intelligence or awareness without even knowing me.
Ignore him.

I work with a South African guy who has some horrific stories too.

I know two, one white one black from different cities, who also tell horrific stories.

I also know a bloke who says similar stuff about Detroit.

And one who says the same about Toxteth.

Plaything of the gods said:
Dakeb said:
So therefore sensible folk don't judge the whole country based on one of it's constituent parts.

Having lived there for 17 years I think I am qualified to comment on it. Knowing most of my friends and colleagues have been subjected to violent crime of varying degrees. Here are some highlights for you. These examples all occurred between 1995 and 1998 so yes, well after democracy and truth and reconciliation had happened.

An old lady neighbour beaten so badly her own teeth were found on opposite sides of the room, just before she was garotted with a wire.
My friends held up and mugged at gunpoint in broad daylight inside Durban central main post office.
Commuting through a multi car pile up with bodies strewn over the road caused by what? Fog like here? No. Caused by a BMW opening fire with an AK47 on a minibus taxi on the motorway "for stealing another taxi firms passengers".
Other friends held up at knifepoint and mugged of all their grocery shopping in a supermarket car park.
Other friends attempted car jacking at knifepoint in a busy shopping mall car park in broad daylight.
My own car broken into and robbed outside my house and garden equipment and barbeques stolen.
One of my black workers beaten up by other black workers and thrown into a vat of boiling caustic soda in the factory.

These are real offences against people I knew or first hand witnessing of events. There were other events too but I think that's enough for now.

How many of these types of crimes against people you personally knew or witnessed have you seen here in the UK? Believe me my friend, there is no comparison, so I ask you kindly not to be so insulting of my intelligence or awareness without even knowing me.
It is well known that SA has high crime, high HIV/AIDS, etc. Are you saying that this high crime started with Nelson Mandela's presidency, that he failed to bring it down, or something else?

Isn't he simply putting down a flip comment? Why look for more?

sir baconface said:
Plaything of the gods said:
Dakeb said:

It is well known that SA has high crime, high HIV/AIDS, etc. Are you saying that this high crime started with Nelson Mandela's presidency, that he failed to bring it down, or something else?

Isn't he simply putting down a flip comment? Why look for more?

Correct. Thank you.

behind blue eyes said:
Dakeb said:

Show some mercy, Dakeb. Don't you know you are dealing with a forum celebrity?

No I only just started posting here so I don't yet know my place :-)

I think it is silly to be comparing crime in Western Europe or North America with crime in South Africa.

Over 300 million people live in the USA and they have, on average, around 15,000 murders a year.

South Africa has a population of around 45 million but on average around 18,000 murders a year.

I can't recall whether it is homicides or murders but anyway it is the same figure for each country.

There are socio-economic reasons for it probably but that isn't any comfort if you are a victim.

There is a serious crime issue in South Africa. I've seen people interviewed, black and white. They say it is hardly worth working to buy things as when you come home, somebody has stolen them. Then of course sexual violence is endemic.

To compare Gauteng Province (1 rape every 6 minutes or something ridiculous anyway) with Toxteth shows a lack of understanding or possibly somebody not really taking the topic seriously.

Dakeb said:
behind blue eyes said:
Dakeb said:

Show some mercy, Dakeb. Don't you know you are dealing with a forum celebrity?

No I only just started posting here so I don't yet know my place :-)

Long may it stay that way.

:-)

I lived there for a while, just after apartheid ended and it was a fascinating experience. I love the country and the diversity. every white person you meet in south africa knows someone close who has been mugged/ raped/ carjacked/ killed

there is a reason that most (whites as was), and now the rich of whatever race/ colour/creed, in Joburg live in compounds surrounded by high walls and barbed wire with armed response signs all around

yes parts of the UK are grim and there are rough parts in every Uk city but they do not begin to compare to the first world/ third world neighbourly struggle that defines south africa where murder is as likely or more likely to be the outcome as someone being beat up in the uk

not yet anyhow but maybe it is coming

I really respect Mandela and what he achieved despite the odds, but he has changed very little for the vast majority of people on the ground and especially those that lived in third world conditions and continue to do so

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/nelson-mandela/10514250/Rowan-Atkinsons-brother-attacks-Nelson-Mandelas-murderous-legacy.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... egacy.html</a>

TCIB said:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/nelson-mandela/10514250/Rowan-Atkinsons-brother-attacks-Nelson-Mandelas-murderous-legacy.html

Wow, who knew national treasure Rowan "Mr Bean" Atkinson's brother was a UKIP candidate wanker with right wing views?

Good spot TCIB.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2526893/Hollywood-actor-Morgan-Freeman-mistaken-Nelson-Mandela-Indian-billboard-gaffe.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... gaffe.html</a>

Got to love India!

article-2526893-1A37402900000578-20_634x591.jpg

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.