New Champions League format

bent as fuck
An idea dreamed up by Andrea Agnelli, Head of the European Clubs Association (ECA) and a man with more links to the Mafia than Tony Soprano. It is impossible to take the corruption-riddled Champions League seriously. I think most of our fans have the correct attitude towards the governing authorities of European football. The ECA were the driving force behind the FFP carve-up. They will do anything they can to destroy English domestic football.

Why how is it worse for them than the competition as it is now ?
Because it makes it harder for them to qualify.

United and Liverpool will be getting the champions league money every year in this format as they are alway going to be one of the two highest coefficients who miss out, having this constant supply of money pushes the elite even further ahead of the chasing pack.

Why how is it worse for them than the competition as it is now ?
The financial divide will just get bigger and bigger than it already is. Villa,Everton etc could finish 5th but Liverpool in 7th would get in ahead of them. Before the season starts a select few are pretty much guaranteed a place in the champions league. That isn’t going to help with TV rights for the premier league either.

An idea dreamed up by Andrea Agnelli, Head of the European Clubs Association (ECA) and a man with more links to the Mafia than Tony Soprano.
See another one of his ideas is to prohinit transfers between champions league clubs.
Claims it will help the "smaller " clubs financially

The financial divide will just get bigger and bigger than it already is. Villa,Everton etc could finish 5th but Liverpool in 7th would get in ahead of them. Before the season starts a select few are pretty much guaranteed a place in the champions league. That isn’t going to help with TV rights for the premier league either.
Suppose so, though if they miss out on europe next season they could find Sevilla above them in the coefficients when it comes in.
But I agree the wildcards are the one part of this I don’t like. Though it could well benefit us one year.

If you think about Pep's time in charge and playing the biggest sides in Europe, we've played Barca twice in his first year, Madrid....that's it.

I want to see this side against Bayern, PSG, Juventus, Barcelona, Atletico Madrid. Big ties against the biggest names, the clubs whose pride will be dented if we win and the matches that let our players put down a marker against the best players in the world.

And I know that in part it's our own fault for getting knocked out by lesser sides, but even if we'd won those games we'd have maybe gotten 1 big tie each year. in 2020 we would have played Bayern and PSG, in 2018 we would have played Real Madrid in the final, 2017 we could have played Juventus and Real.

So if we'd won the tournament every single year, we'd have had 7 ties against the European heavyweights in 4 seasons.

In 2019 we could have won the whole thing only playing Schalke, Spurs, Ajax and Liverpool. Which is hardly the footballing equivalent of Ali vs. Foreman or Federer vs. Nadal, is it?

So I'm generally in favour of a format that lets us play the biggest clubs more often, even though I know the motivations behind it are simple greed and trying to stop situations like we have in the PL now with West Ham, Everton and Leicester all genuinely in with a chance of finishing top 4.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.