New Champions League format

League Cup winners go into the European Conference League rather than the Thursday League from next season. That means it might still be strong enough to warrant a European place if the teams in the CL and TL give it a swerve. Pity as I've enjoyed some good away trips in that tournament. Mind you I also remember Bury, Doncaster, Lincoln, Barnet, Wycombe and a few others.
I can only see it going like the EFL trophy is now if this new format goes ahead with the teams in Europe playing u23 sides in it on the same nights as CL group games, that'll be a huge blow for it broadcast income wise and the final nail in the coffin for a lot of sides in leagues 1 + 2. For all UEFA's shite about 'protecting sides financially' I can't see league 2 continuing to exist as a full time professional league without the League Cup.

I think no changes are necessary. It’s just a power grab to diminish the importance of domestic leagues and specifically jealousy at the success of the EPL. There should be no safety net for any team. Qualification should be solely on domestic league performance with the current exception of the EL winner which is fine. Arguably, there are too many European games already, let alone increasing the number of teams and fixtures.

I think no changes are necessary. It’s just a power grab to diminish the importance of domestic leagues and specifically jealousy at the success of the EPL. There should be no safety net for any team. Qualification should be solely on domestic league performance with the current exception of the EL winner which is fine. Arguably, there are too many European games already, let alone increasing the number of teams and fixtures.

I think many will agree with you Jack, but the greed and arrogance of certain clubs will drive it forward imo.

And money speaks volumes in these matters .

I'm not sure it is fine. Why should a team that failed to either qualify for the CL or failed to progress to the last 16 of the CL get in via the back door?

I'm not sure it is fine. Why should a team that failed to either qualify for the CL or failed to progress to the last 16 of the CL get in via the back door?
Well it’s better than a club finishing 7th and getting a wild card entry based on their history. The new format is going to be truly awful for the sport.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.