New City fan: what should I know?

Resurrection said:
Can I ask the association between the blues and barms?

<a class="postlink-local" href="http://forums.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=101815" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=5&t=101815</a>

This should keep you going for a bit i think.

For the record the correct answer is barm.

Don Karleone said:
Resurrection said:
Can I ask the association between the blues and barms?

<a class="postlink-local" href="http://forums.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=101815" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=5&t=101815</a>

This should keep you going for a bit i think.

For the record the correct answer is barm.

It is barms, you barmcake. Though I believe that ovenbottoms are better than barms.

Crusty cob? Scatter!

Resurrection said:
So I've been hanging around here reading and throwing in some comments where I can, I've also watched the movie "Blue Moon Rising". As a new City supporter, what should I know?

Some background on me... I'm Canadian and (of course) love hockey. My grandparents on my Mothers side (Ukrainian) were displaced by WW2 and met in Manchester. It's there my Mom was born and just a few years later they sailed for Canada and a new life. So I feel an affinity for Manchester and couldn't see myself being a Reds fan (they seem like real spoiled brats to me). Now with our cable showing so many BPL matches I can actually choose a side and follow a club, which I think is far more fun than just following the league as a whole.

Oh and I also wonder too when they release the schedule each year for the Premiership, how many months in advance. I'm getting married next year and my fiancee has agreed to see a football match in Europe on our way to the honeymoon.

Welcome.
Being that you are a Jets fan I wouldn't question your loyalty to any club you support based on their history. Read Gary James' book, I bought it when I was in Manchester and I really enjoyed it. If you get a chance to go to see City play, do it and join in the signing.

Embrace having to be up at 5:45 MT for a 12:45GMT Kick off.... There is nothing like cheering a goal and waking the whole house up before 6 am on a saturday :)

Some random things to remember...

Alex Ferguson is literally Hitler
The club is putting money ahead of the fans (popular opinion on Bluemoon), but don't dare let a non-City fan tell you that
Aguero's goal vs. QPR was only the second most important in team history; the most important was Dickov vs. Gillingham
Everyone claims to know what "We're Not Really Here" means, but no one actually does
Oasis are huge City fans, but you're under no obligation to listen to their music
Buy an inflatable banana and take it to viewing parties
David Silva and Pablo Zabaleta can do no wrong
All United fans are actually from Jakarta
Most of the media and everyone at UEFA is against us - FFP is Exhibit A
Bert Trautmann, who fought for the Axis, later became City's greatest-ever keeper and even won a game with a broken neck
"Typical City' still exists in Europe. Expect poor results when watching UCL matches and you won't be disappointed
Teams other than United we don't like: Spurs, Stockport County, any club managed by Jose Mourinho, whomever Joey Barton plays for
Mark Hughes was pushed out of City unfairly, but now we have Manuel Pellegrini whom most of us love
City were the first team from Manchester to win a major trophy
The three stars on our badge officially stand for nothing
We wear sky blue. Do not call it baby blue or light blue.
Don't talk to City fans on the Facebook page, it's full of gloryhunters from random countries that don't know anything about the club
Food at the Etihad is overpriced and the security people are heavy-handed
Anyone who complains about City's money is most likely a hypocrite of the highest order
We never win at home, and we never win away, we lost last week and we lost today.
Don't refer to City as "The Citizens," it's a weird thing non-English media say
Learn how to tell a northern English accent from a London accent
There are no United fans in Manchester; Old Trafford is just for tourists
Wayne Rooney fancies older ladies and looks like Shrek
Maine Road was (indirectly) named after the temperance movement, which is ironic considering how often City fans feel compelled to drink
City were originally a church club; we were founded by a woman
The Premier League is a fickle whore and no match is easy
City may not be the world's biggest or most successful club, but we are undoubtedly the greatest.

I'll keep you in mind when the Hurricanes play the Jets. I'm from North Carolina and a die-hard Hurricanes fan. I don't think there are a lot of people who support a small-market NHL club AND City.

Resurrection said:
So I've been hanging around here reading and throwing in some comments where I can, I've also watched the movie "Blue Moon Rising". As a new City supporter, what should I know?

Some background on me... I'm Canadian and (of course) love hockey. My grandparents on my Mothers side (Ukrainian) were displaced by WW2 and met in Manchester. It's there my Mom was born and just a few years later they sailed for Canada and a new life. So I feel an affinity for Manchester and couldn't see myself being a Reds fan (they seem like real spoiled brats to me). Now with our cable showing so many BPL matches I can actually choose a side and follow a club, which I think is far more fun than just following the league as a whole.

Oh and I also wonder too when they release the schedule each year for the Premiership, how many months in advance. I'm getting married next year and my fiancee has agreed to see a football match in Europe on our way to the honeymoon.

Welcome new blue
My only bits of advice are

This club has given me amazing highs and depressing lows over the last 38 years so read as much as you can about our history to understand what City and in particular the fans have been though to get a feel for the club

Be prepared to be hated. We used to be everyones 2nd team because of the rags in Trafford and we were a club know for shooting ourselves in the foot or snatching defeat from the jaws of victory but since we have became rich and a very good team no one likes us now

Please dont call the league the bpl or epl. Just call it "The League"

The cellar is a dangerous place to go

Hope that helps

BlueMoonOverNC said:

The club is putting money ahead of the fans (popular opinion on Bluemoon), but don't dare let a non-City fan tell you that
Aguero's goal vs. QPR was only the second most important in team history; the most important was Dickov vs. Gillingham
Everyone claims to know what "We're Not Really Here" means, but no one actually does
Oasis are huge City fans, but you're under no obligation to listen to their music
Bert Trautmann, who fought for the Axis, later became City's greatest-ever keeper and even won a game with a broken neck
"Typical City' still exists in Europe. Expect poor results when watching UCL matches and you won't be disappointed
Teams other than United we don't like: Spurs, Stockport County, any club managed by Jose Mourinho, whomever Joey Barton plays for
Mark Hughes was pushed out of City unfairly, but now we have Manuel Pellegrini whom most of us love
Don't talk to City fans on the Facebook page, it's full of gloryhunters from random countries that don't know anything about the club
Anyone who complains about City's money is most likely a hypocrite of the highest order
We never win at home, and we never win away, we lost last week and we lost today.
Maine Road was (indirectly) named after the temperance movement, which is ironic considering how often City fans feel compelled to drink
City may not be the world's biggest or most successful club, but we are undoubtedly the greatest.

I'll keep you in mind when the Hurricanes play the Jets. I'm from North Carolina and a die-hard Hurricanes fan. I don't think there are a lot of people who support a small-market NHL club

Sound advice , http://youtu.be/u9okFFpXbtQ. Please observe the well executed fire drill at a ground which we call "the swamp". <a class="postlink" href="http://youtu.be/psuJZQbwJm4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://youtu.be/psuJZQbwJm4</a>

Another thing you should read up on is a common game around Manchester played by most City fans called 'Rag Baiting' great fun , but it's becoming a bit easy lately.

BlueMoonOverNC said:

I'll keep you in mind when the Hurricanes play the Jets. I'm from North Carolina and a die-hard Hurricanes fan. I don't think there are a lot of people who support a small-market NHL club AND City.

awesome post thanks!

and would you do cam ward for ondrej pavelec? lol

CITY24/7 said:
BlueMoonOverNC said:

I'll keep you in mind when the Hurricanes play the Jets. I'm from North Carolina and a die-hard Hurricanes fan. I don't think there are a lot of people who support a small-market NHL club

Sound advice , http://youtu.be/u9okFFpXbtQ. Please observe the well executed fire drill at a ground which we call "the swamp". <a class="postlink" href="http://youtu.be/psuJZQbwJm4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://youtu.be/psuJZQbwJm4</a>

Another thing you should read up on is a common game around Manchester played by most City fans called 'Rag Baiting' great fun , but it's becoming a bit easy lately.

Of course we know what this refers to.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.