New CL Format | Thoughts after 2 games (pg13)

I’ve noticed more goals and less draws I think. Too early to tell.
Yeah more goals because some teams are just cannon fodder.
All I see this format doing is giving additional income to top clubs in the smaller leagues, ultimately leading to more leagues like Scotland (1 and a half horse race)
That said it was refreshing to read about Sturm Graz breaking RB Salzburgs monopoly last season and qualifying

I regard the CL as a joke competition with not much sporting integrity but from our perspective I’ve come round to the view that this year’s changes make it more interesting for us.

The seeding spot earned by finishing position in the league should in theory keep us apart from the big hitters until the SF stage thus avoiding the mammoth QF battles of the previous two campaigns.

I regard the CL as a joke competition with not much sporting integrity but from our perspective I’ve come round to the view that this year’s changes make it more interesting for us.

The seeding spot earned by finishing position in the league should in theory keep us apart from the big hitters until the SF stage thus avoiding the mammoth QF battles of the previous two campaigns.
Never liked it or it’s ridiculous moniker (Champions my arse), but in my opinion this has made it worse.

I wouldn’t bet on it,where there’s a will there’s a way ..

All I see this format doing is giving additional income to top clubs in the smaller leagues, ultimately leading to more leagues like Scotland (1 and a half horse race)

This was my thought last night too. All the minor leagues in Europe must be sewn up for the next decade or two bar a miracle or collapse based on this year's money.

4 groups of 9 if they want this number of games to survive. 9 matchdays with 1 rest.

4 away, 4 home but at least you all play the same team. Top 2 through to last 16. Next 4 into the playoff round, bottom 3 out. Easier to build narratives, easier to know where you stand.

Still some excitement with the draw too.

That's the only way I'm convinced this number of games survives more than 1 or 2 seasons.

Think there will be a shit load of complaints about this format in January.

The group stage wasn't perfect but I don't see how this new format solves anything. There are still plenty of meaningless matches and I haven't noticed an increased number of "big" clubs playing each other.
You get 2 Pot 1 teams, and 2 Pot2 - so Inter, PSG, Juve and er Club Brugge.
You would have been unlikely to draw the first 3 together under the old format.
I'm not a fan simply because you're adding fixtures to a congested calendar.

I bet Villa are excited to play Bayern tonight though maybe less so at £65 a ticket. More exiting than Shaktar.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.