New CL Format | Thoughts after 2 games (pg13)

What did you expect?

The formats strengths and weaknesses are really clear. We get more unique games instead of drawing the same teams every year, there’s a much better chance of smaller teams getting into the last 16, and there should be some last-day-of-the-season bedlam across the last few match days.

The negatives are more games against weaker opposition and the longer format means it’ll take longer to get interesting.

We won’t really be able to assess this format for ~5 years, when there’s been a chance for those weaker teams to reap the financial rewards and get better, and hopefully make some deep runs to break up the monotony of the last 8 in the previous format.

The weaker teams will reap the financial rewards compared to their domestic competitor's but while their domestic competitor's get 10p, they get £1 while the already wealthy get £100 it won't improve this abomination of a competition

I bet. I’ll are excited to play Bayern tonight though maybe less so at £65 a ticket.
More like £97 with no concessions at AVFC -and the traditional VAR BS disallowed Goal to rub it in -the full CL experience

They've won three qualifying rounds, so who would have knocked them out?

Regardless of the number of qualifying rounds they’ve had, they are at too high a level.

The champions league is now 36 teams when it used to be 32 teams in 8 groups. I’m pretty sure they and three other teams are in the wrong league.

You'll NEVER get a buy in for that now - it's a lovely cash cow for teams, and likely a look at a European Super League I'm afraid

Sly introduction of a few more teams, spit the competition into 2 leagues get a few players to mention they are playing too many games and what's left?

The chumps (European) super league.

The world club cup.

Manchester City Cardinals are born :)

They've won three qualifying rounds, so who would have knocked them out?
I was wondering that myself, but couldn't be arsed looking that hard.
I assume it relates to Bratislava getting a slightly easier route as a couple of teams they may have faced went straight into the group???
(Tempered by the fact there's only 4 extra sides so it couldn't have been too much easier)

Slovan are ranked 60th in Europe and plenty of clubs with higher rankings such as Spuds, West Ham, Chelsea and our nauseating neighbours didn't even qualify.
I'd be happy with an ESL based on UEFA coefficients as that would get rid of cannon fodder like Slovan, but UEFA covers all nations in the association not just the ones that generate huge amounts of TV money and hideous gate receipts.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.