New CL Format | Thoughts after 2 games (pg13)

Same opinion as when it was announced, it's going to make for an even more boring first stage than usual.

UEFA can claim they want to make the first stage more appealing but we all know it's purely about getting extra games in for more money and the result is the opposite of what they claim.

There is practically zero jeopardy in it now for most of the big teams, it was rare a big team would go out in the groups but it did happen from time to time, if a fancied team lost one of their home games it at least put pressure on the rest of the fixtures, now though there's next to no chance of not finishing in the top 24. We could lose first 4 games and still qualify.

A team like us or Madrid or bayern could realistically play a second string side in every game, comfortably finish in the top 24 if not the top 8 and then play a strong team in the play off and get through that way, it's a little more risk in it that isn't going to be the obvious route those teams will look to at first but I honestly think after a year of this new format and we see how much of a toll it takes on the players, especially if one of the bigger teams league form is impacted we will see a team adopt that approach and once one team does it, all the bigger sides will and you essentially create a league version of the early carabao cup games

If we put 8 carabao cup level sides out in the league stage, we'd likely lose to an inter and psg level of side but we'd still win the games against the likes of Bratislava and sparta prague to qualify with ease and then could be well rested for the premier league games, that advantage could make a huge impact on our ability to win the league and then we go strong in the knockouts.

8 games at full strength to avoid playing an extra 2 but rinse your first team with 3 games a week for 5 months solid and have a shattered squad when it matters or 8 games with a largely second string, give your players the odd rest, play those extra 2 games if needed and go into the latter parts of the season fresher and probably in a better league position. Seems like an inevitability to me, just needs somebody to take the small risk and it'll become the norm.
Good point about teams resting their best players and playing squad players in the group stages with a focus of finishing in the top 24.

Hate the new format, its unfair as group tournaments meant everyone in a group played each other so those who qualified did so on merit. Here its the pure luck of the draw. Add to that extra games which is not needed with the crazy schedule as it was.

The group stage was fucking dull. We seemed to always get similar teams, batter the majority and could often rest and rotate for the final two. Last night was good in that it was a tough game, but the club rewarded fans with overpriced tickets and the crowd was therefore full of day trippers and the instagram crowd.

On the one hand you can ask how many "legacy" fans would have bothered anyway, and CL group games were always a bit "meh", on the other you feel disappointed it's become so commercial that fans feel that way.

Another bug bear was the fact City wore that kit! I get the idea behind teaming up with Noel to do something City related and market the club and band together, but don't fucking play in it. For starters, Bonehead is a rag bastard and there's a photo of George Best on the Definitely Maybe album cover, that City shouldn't be fucking re-creating!!! Every man and his dog know the Gallagher's support City. Do some Oasis style tracksuits or bucket hats and leave it at that.

The thing with the whole premiss of the new format is that they want more "big" teams playing each other, but the thing with that is then we will just get more games like last night where they just end up with both teams playing for a draw because neither team wants to lose because they know they'll be able to pick up points against the weaker teams. it just gives a chance for the club to charge an obscene amount for the first game of the "group" stages

I think if the Top 16 teams qualified straight for the knockouts, this would've been much better, and more jeopardy involved. I have to say I like the fact that we're playing 8 different opposition.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.