New highway code rules

Looks to me like he was too close - gauging by the fact there was no-one coming towards them he frankly could have gone to the other kerb and passed safely - there is a joint in the road surface and if you look at the first car ( grey Golf?) and the one that followed the Q8 both went over that to the far side - the Q8 driver stayed the other side which showed he was close.

As for all the protestations about fines and costs - if you read the article he had plenty of chances to bale much more cheaply but he wouldn't and took the expensive route. All his own fault.

I am an ex club cyclist and always have given them plenty of room. But since this new highway code they seem to have got abit militant.

The other day I was behind a club cyclist on a wide road but with road furniture. I kept about 20 or so feet behind him. I wasnt close or doing anything other than waiting to get through the road furniture. As the cyclist move to the middle of the road to go round the road narrowing furniture, he looked over his shoulder and started shouting abuse and waving his hand around at me !.

I have no idea what his problem was I was at least 3 car lengths behind him at this point. He had the right hump. I had given this knobhead loads of room yet he wanted even more space lol.

Luckily my missus was with me or I would have got out of the car and had words with the knobhead.

As an ex club cyclist back in the day we seemed to be more considerate to others. We would ride shoulder to shoulder. Now cyclist ride with a out a 3 foot gap between them !
We would single down when in traffic not stay two a breast. And I never remember jumping lights.

As for pedestrians just walking across the road looking at their phones !!

I am an ex club cyclist and always have given them plenty of room. But since this new highway code they seem to have got abit militant.

The other day I was behind a club cyclist on a wide road but with road furniture. I kept about 20 or so feet behind him. I wasnt close or doing anything other than waiting to get through the road furniture. As the cyclist move to the middle of the road to go round the road narrowing furniture, he looked over his shoulder and started shouting abuse and waving his hand around at me !.

I have no idea what his problem was I was at least 3 car lengths behind him at this point. He had the right hump. I had given this knobhead loads of room yet he wanted even more space lol.

Luckily my missus was with me or I would have got out of the car and had words with the knobhead.

As an ex club cyclist back in the day we seemed to be more considerate to others. We would ride shoulder to shoulder. Now cyclist ride with a out a 3 foot gap between them !
We would single down when in traffic not stay two a breast. And I never remember jumping lights.

As for pedestrians just walking across the road looking at their phones !!

When I'm following a cyclist or preparing to overtake I always have in the back of my mind 'what would happen if they fell off now?'

Maybe this guy has been previously hit from behind by a driver who got to too close and is now quite nervous about being followed closely. You just never know. I'm certainly not saying you were too close. Personally I'd be slightly uncomfortable at 2 car lengths, but it's not an unreasonable distance really.

Your observations on cyclist being more militant probably holds some water. There are definitely some cyclists who don't do the rest of us any favours. What you do have to consider though is that in the last 40 years or so cars have got much bigger, heavier and faster and in general roads have not been widened to compensate so cyclist do feel a lot more vulnerable at times.
1655367062105.png

When I'm following a cyclist or preparing to overtake I always have in the back of my mind 'what would happen if they fell off now?'

Maybe this guy has been previously hit from behind by a driver who got to too close and is now quite nervous about being followed closely. You just never know. I'm certainly not saying you were too close. Personally I'd be slightly uncomfortable at 2 car lengths, but it's not an unreasonable distance really.

Your observations on cyclist being more militant probably holds some water. There are definitely some cyclists who don't do the rest of us any favours. What you do have to consider though is that in the last 40 years or so cars have got much bigger, heavier and faster and in general roads have not been widened to compensate so cyclist do feel a lot more vulnerable at times.
View attachment 47116

I dont disagree with you ;)

But there are far to many lycra clad cyclists who just cant ride a bike lol.

Saddle to high, knees point outwards etc lol. Yet are riding expansive bikes !

When out on the Sunday club run we would 'oil up' or 'oil down' ie go single file, when riding in a group two abreast it was with your front wheel about 6inches of the wheel in front and with shoulders nearly touching. Now says I see a club run of say 10 cyclist taking up as room as we would with a group of 20 !.

But times change we would always say 'hello' to other riders we passed. When I tried to get back into cycling last year I was just blanked by about 70% of other cyclists.

Anyway this thread is going of track lol

View attachment 47116
A typical family car compared to a fuck off expensive Range Rover now.
Very objective.

do i have to give a wide birth to the little **** on a motorised scooter(kids scooter) who was all over the road and when it suited on the pavement .

Mobility scooters and these motorised scooters are a danger around here both use the road, both use the pavements. Both go to fast on pavements, I have been hit once by a mobility scooter which came flying round the corner. It bloody hurt !

View attachment 47116
this is one 0f the major problems, personally I'd tax the shit out cars over a certain width.

Last edited:
In Canada, pedestrians have the right of way already, and you won’t believe the numbers who will walk out into a road without looking. Had to slam the anchors on quite a few times.

Canada has far quieter roads and far less pedestrians on average. I suspect carnage if pedestrians start behaving that way in the Uk.
I dunno where in Canada you are mate but when I cross a Street I always feel like it is a lottery. In recent years I have taken to giddily waving at drivers in the hope they look up over there extra large double double and see the red light/stop sign etc

A typical family car compared to a fuck off expensive Range Rover now.
Very objective.
Okay, how about the Kia Sportage, Nissan Juke, Nissan Qashqai, Honda CR-V, Hyundai Tucson, Toyota RAV-4 or the other multitudes of SUV's clogging up the road space which are far cheaper than the Range Rover and therefore becoming much more common on the roads.

Rather than focus on the issue being cars are regularly much wider these days, you've chosen to focus on the 'brand'.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.