New highway code rules

Better set off an hour earlier for work then if we're all going to be stuck behind cyclists riding at 1mph in the middle of the road with no hope of getting enough clearance to overtake them.
Oh yay cunting cyclists slowing the rest of us down coz they like to feel trendy

Cards on the table: I am a pedestrian, cyclist and driver (I've driven Cat's B, C1E, D1E) so I have a good spread of experience of road use, both in the UK and overseas. I passed my test in 91, but I've ridden cycles on the road from the age of about 10.

The highway code is a quasi-legal document which details guidance as to the interpretation of the law laid down in the Road Traffic Act 1988. The proposals are nothing new. More of a rewording to clarify the hierarchy of responsibility and it makes perfect sense. Too often drivers put their convenience ahead of the safety of more vulnerable road users by behaving irresponsibly. They seem to forget that the people outside of their 5-star NCAP safety bubble are actually incredibly vulnerable. EVERYONE shares the space and nobody has any more entitlement to be on the road than anyone else (although uninsured drivers can f*ck right off). It's only right that the more vulnerable road users be protected from potential harm from vehicles which have the ability to do more damage.
Riding anything on the roads requires common sense, a commodity often lacking in too many people, and if people drive, cycle, jaywalk without using more than a modicum then they run the risk of prosecution if they cause an accidentl

I don't think the new rules give pedestrians carte blanche to just cross the road regardless of what's coming. The new rule merely states that they should be given priority to cross the road when clear to do so. Same with green traffic lights and motorists. Green does not automatically mean go, it means 'proceed with caution'.
It says that now, at junctions a vehicle must allow a pedestrian to cross if they’re waiting. If they’re already crossing then yes that is common sense to allow them to cross so no change there. I already sometimes allow pedestrians to cross if they’re waiting and it is safe for them to do so but they are not always in the best position to know if it’s safe. Add into that the varying speeds of pedestrians approaching junctions on the pavement, those stood around having a chat, deciding which direction to go etc. It’ll be fun but there will be fatalities in my opinion.

When do you think the high water mark was?
Hard to tell and quantify, I suppose. But it seems that there are so many oddball rules coming in at the moment, or in the last few years, that they are starting to outweigh any technical and medical advances.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.