new kit '14-'15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Umedaman said:
Can someone please explain to me how clubs decide on their away kit designs?

I only started following football a few years ago, but I've easily noticed that although their are traditions followed in away kits, they tend to be pretty inconsistent season to season. So why is it that so many fans are getting so upset by a minor tweak to our shorts color?

upto the 1990's, clubs rarely had use for a 3rd kit, in fact mostly, there were only home and away kits, with the away kit classed as an 'alternative' kit, incase the home shirt clashed with the team they were playing away from home, so the alternative kit was used.

a 3rdkit was introduced in case the 1st and 2nd kit still clashed with the home kit when playing away from home, but this was quickly used as a commercial tool to generate revenue to offer more range for replica kits.

the alternative 2nd kit or 'away' kit normally used to use follow a traditional 2nd kit. in the case of City, this might have been a white shirt with blue shorts. but this has changed with the likes of the black/red stripe kit (introduced by a manager at the time to resemble the mighty AC Milan at the time) ... so there are many varieties of an alternate kit over the years.

but mostly now the colours get rotated between the away kits and '3rd kit' with the home kit (in theory) remaining the same.

as in "how do clubs decide on designs", we always used to kit that manufacturers gave the clubs a list of designs and the clubs chose what they liked. but in the modern day, multi-million deals that manufacturers pay to clubs for, it will be the manufacturers that decide on the designs (staying within a pre-agreed scope), as they are the experts and know more about "what sells more" (in theory) .... at least .... the manufacturer will strongly advise what the kits should look like etc ... but its all in the details of each club deal who decides what.

Actual shirt review time!

I received my new shirt over the weekend, I think the colour is great, though the numbers on the back I'd probably prefer white, they're navy blue (lighter slightly than the sleeve trim) with a white outline. It feels light, the badge doesn't feel intrusive, the material feels to be of a good quality... It's a good length too, being rather tall it can be a hassle...

I like it. Though if I could have found a ladies third kit option from last season I would have been much more pleased. That was a sweet kit.

lunebleu said:
Anyone know the last time City's home kit had no white in it whatsoever?

[bigimg]http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Manchester_City/images/manchester_city_1895-1896.gif[/bigimg]

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Manchester_City/Manchester_City.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Manches ... r_City.htm</a>

But there is white in the badge...

117 M34 said:
lunebleu said:
Anyone know the last time City's home kit had no white in it whatsoever?

1895 according to someone about 100 pages back

Thanks.....,glad someone's diligent into their reading! If that is the case, even more disgraceful. The indifference to the issue by some punters on here suggests we've got a new breed of supporters who could'nt give a shit about history or identity.

GeekinGav said:
Umedaman said:
Can someone please explain to me how clubs decide on their away kit designs?

I only started following football a few years ago, but I've easily noticed that although their are traditions followed in away kits, they tend to be pretty inconsistent season to season. So why is it that so many fans are getting so upset by a minor tweak to our shorts color?

upto the 1990's, clubs rarely had use for a 3rd kit, in fact mostly, there were only home and away kits, with the away kit classed as an 'alternative' kit, incase the home shirt clashed with the team they were playing away from home, so the alternative kit was used.

a 3rdkit was introduced in case the 1st and 2nd kit still clashed with the home kit when playing away from home, but this was quickly used as a commercial tool to generate revenue to offer more range for replica kits.

the alternative 2nd kit or 'away' kit normally used to use follow a traditional 2nd kit. in the case of City, this might have been a white shirt with blue shorts. but this has changed with the likes of the black/red stripe kit (introduced by a manager at the time to resemble the mighty AC Milan at the time) ... so there are many varieties of an alternate kit over the years.

but mostly now the colours get rotated between the away kits and '3rd kit' with the home kit (in theory) remaining the same.

as in "how do clubs decide on designs", we always used to kit that manufacturers gave the clubs a list of designs and the clubs chose what they liked. but in the modern day, multi-million deals that manufacturers pay to clubs for, it will be the manufacturers that decide on the designs (staying within a pre-agreed scope), as they are the experts and know more about "what sells more" (in theory) .... at least .... the manufacturer will strongly advise what the kits should look like etc ... but its all in the details of each club deal who decides what.

Ohh ok gotcha!

I remember reading about the away kit switch to emulate AC Milan's success, but I just wasn't sure if there was a time when our away kits had ever used sky blue too. I definitely like keeping with traditions, but it had always struck me as odd that our away kits were red to some degree. Perhaps now AC Milan should have sky blue away kits to emulate us ;)

Thanks for the info Gav and noely!

Without wishing to sound disrespectful does it really matter?

If and when City win the league this season I doubt whether the kit will be at the forefront of peoples minds.

Its blue and that's all it needs to be.

Put yourselves in Cardiff fans' shoes.

bodak said:
Without wishing to sound disrespectful does it really matter?

If and when City win the league this season I doubt whether the kit will be at the forefront of peoples minds.

Its blue and that's all it needs to be.

Put yourselves in Cardiff fans' shoes.

100%

It's not ideal, but who cares. It still has our badge on it which is all that matter. Oh and the gold EPL badge this season is a nice icing on the cake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.