New Midfielder in January

posted this in the transfer window thread:

few unfancied names for Central Midfield:

Gregory Sertic(Bordeaux), Celso Ortiz(AZ), Jordy Clasie(Feyenoord), Luca Cigarini(Atlanta), Fernando(Porto), Fabian Lustenberger(Hertha BSC), Idrissa Gueye(Lille)?

There are lots of quality midfielders out there of varying degrees of attainability, from the pretty impossible (Vidal, De Rossi etc.) to the very unlikely (Pogba, Verratti etc.) but there are plenty who the stats are showing are playing well who may be attainable. Obviously we could go after CL dropouts, but really the only guy you'd plump for is Gundogan and a) he's injured and b) won't move in Jan. There are plenty of maybe unfancied players though, all highly rated on whoscored and the like, like Rakitic, Cigarini, Parolo, Badelj, Sertic, Clasie, Parejo, Gueye, Gutierrez, Lustenberger, Ortiz, Kramer, Fernando etc.

It's difficult to think who we'd be able to buy off, I doubt PSG and Roma are options, and maybe even a punt at Lucas at Liverpool would be very difficult. In terms of realistic prem players who are rated highly then it's the likes of Cabaye or Mark Noble (yes Noble) or Schneiderlin. Not convinced looking at the stats at the Bender's or Matic, in fact Matic is the only one who comes out in the stat tables close to Garcia.

It just depends on how ambitious can we, can we get these Level 2 signings like a Verratti, Pjanic, Pogba or perhaps a Pirlo as a stopgap (or a very good level 3 in Matuidi), having to be realistic in that it would be an end of season deal, or do we try to address an immediate problem and go for someone unfancied but in great form but is from a lesser league. The likes of Sertic and Cigarini seem interesting on paper, but I haven't seen much of either of them so am relying the stats of people I assume have....

The question is how patient we are likely to be? We are short in depth and quality maybe a stop gap or a left field signing in January is the best we can hope for now. The level 2 players are unlikely to move midseason.

Ray78 said:
The question is how patient we are likely to be? We are short in depth and quality maybe a stop gap or a left field signing in January is the best we can hope for now. The level 2 players are unlikely to move midseason.

agreed, but maybe a few of the understated ones can be blooded into very good players, and would take a squad role as they're not at top clubs.

In terms of level 2, only those with little contract time left may be an option, so I guess that's Fernando or Matuidi, but that would depend on CL progress. Porto aren't set so Fernando could be an option in Jan, but obviously only for league games, whereas Parejo, who's having a good season statwise and rating highly, could move and play in the CL as you're allowed a swap from Europa to CL, at least you used to be able to...

I can think of a few times we have been "desperate" for a defensive mid but recent times is not one of them.

An addition to help improve the squad possibly yes, but "desperately" ?.

Sorry op but this is just drivel.

I think we need a box to box midfielder who can link up well with either Fernandinho or Toure, and occasionally play all three. Another Fernandinho would be good, and as I've said I believe Gundogan would be a perfect fit for us. However he's injured and won't be available in Jan, so maybe Pogba or Matuidi are the best options. We'd have to tempt Juve with one of our players in part-ex, maybe they'd take Kolarov, Dzeko or Garcia off us.

Matuidi seems more likely if he isn't going to sign a deal with PSG, and if he did we may only be left with Cabaye as a reasonable option, not cup tied and is used to the Prem, unless of course Rodwell becomes the player we want and can stay injury free and ups his game from January, or maybe tonight against Bayern.

Jimfv1 said:
I think we need a box to box midfielder who can link up well with either Fernandinho or Toure, and occasionally play all three. Another Fernandinho would be good, and as I've said I believe Gundogan would be a perfect fit for us. However he's injured and won't be available in Jan, so maybe Pogba or Matuidi are the best options. We'd have to tempt Juve with one of our players in part-ex, maybe they'd take Kolarov, Dzeko or Garcia off us.

Matuidi seems more likely if he isn't going to sign a deal with PSG, and if he did we may only be left with Cabaye as a reasonable option, not cup tied and is used to the Prem, unless of course Rodwell becomes the player we want and can stay injury free and ups his game from January, or maybe tonight against Bayern.
Matuidi signs a new deal don't he??<br /><br />-- Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:13 pm --<br /><br />If Garcia out

At least 1 paper had us linked with a move back from DeJong. Probably just lazy journalism though. Did people see Mancini's quotes about Pogba...."we could have signed him on a free, I can't remember why we didnt!"

Witsel. Similar in style to Fernandinho, ideal for our style of play. We desperately need more options in the middle.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.