New Music - 2024

Yard Act - Where's My Utopia

It's pretty hard to pull off an album which self- referentially leans into your recent success. I remember Mike Skinner trying with his third and just not getting the tone right. Fair play to Yard Act then as they've done it really well and then some.

My only issue is I wish I hadn't listened to all of the four previously released singles so I could hear it all fresh in one go. Oh, and that people from the wrong side of the Pennines can make music this good :-)

This and Idles have made me feel like a teenager again, getting excited for new music to arrive and not being disappointed.

Yard Act - Where's My Utopia

It's pretty hard to pull off an album which self- referentially leans into your recent success. I remember Mike Skinner trying with his third and just not getting the tone right. Fair play to Yard Act then as they've done it really well and then some.

My only issue is I wish I hadn't listened to all of the four previously released singles so I could hear it all fresh in one go. Oh, and that people from the wrong side of the Pennines can make music this good :-)

This and Idles have made me feel like a teenager again, getting excited for new music to arrive and not being disappointed.

If you want to continue feeling young, the St.Pierre Snake Invasion are a fun band I'm really enjoying just now. Snash, are worth giving their wider singles a right proper go too.

I have to say the new Idles album reveals a fair bit of filller, with further listening. There are a few really strong songs, but overall I find it weaker than their other albums. But Crawler was always going to be a tough act to follow.

Not gave YA a go yet, good reminder, thanks.

If you want to continue feeling young, the St.Pierre Snake Invasion are a fun band I'm really enjoying just now. Snash, are worth giving their wider singles a right proper go too.

I have to say the new Idles album reveals a fair bit of filller, with further listening. There are a few really strong songs, but overall I find it weaker than their other albums. But Crawler was always going to be a tough act to follow.

Not gave YA a go yet, good reminder, thanks.

Been having a bit of a listen to Snash as you've mentioned them a few times. Will give St. Pierre...a try.

No doubt Tangk is lighter/more lightweight than Crawler but personally I'm still enjoying it.

Been having a bit of a listen to Snash as you've mentioned them a few times. Will give St. Pierre...a try.

No doubt Tangk is lighter/more lightweight than Crawler but personally I'm still enjoying it.

Funnily, it is the lighter/more lightweight parts of it that I really like, and the rest, the more expected of them, that I find to feel a bit filler.

It is their intensity that I love most, and that doesn't at all have to be heavy or loud. They know how to create intensity in the quiet, the lightweight and slower songs, and that is pretty impressive.

Don't know what it is about Crawler that really drew me in (and I think the album thread isn't ready for it to use others' comments to get there), but this, other than a handful of songs, just didn't as much.

But then, I saw them perform crawler live, and that is yet to come with this one so things may change. At the end of the day, how many albums can you say have more than a handful of top songs anyway, so it is not in any way meant as a criticism.

I gave the Last Dinner Party album a second, more attentive, listen on Tidal and it impressed me more, though still as you say derivative. They've sold out nearly all of their tour dates this year.
I've given it a bit of attention and it's grown on me somewhat. There's 3 or 4 quality tracks on there.
Interestingly, and coincidently, Mr Hawkins critiqued nothing matters on his you tube channel with initial skeptisam regarding the hype, etc.
He gave a positive review

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.