New PL financial controls | Clubs agree squad spending cap 'in principle'

the transfer threads going to be great need to be an mathematical genius will we pass FFP?PSR rules are but 70% turnover comes into calculation because scunthorpe might win promotion via the play offs

Kieren Maguire saying if it's capped at 4.5 then us and Chelsea would have to restrict spending.

My question again, then is what is to stop Brentford borrowing 350 million (actually more because of capitalisation, but let's keep it simple), making a 350 million loss and going bankrupt the same year? There must be more to it than this ......

Only really two teams with a shout of winning it and one of them is finanically fucked.

Girona an anomaly.
I mean City are on course for 4 in a row and 6 in the last 7 so the Pl isn’t exactly a shining example to put up in defence.

I agree with this. Plus other leagues will soften their financial rules if it means the PL becoming weakend.

On paper it seems a really sensible proposal, but as with anything the success or failure will be in the details.

From a PL title perspective it likely solidifies City as champions for the foreseeable future so really people should be happy.
Unless I’m not understanding,likely, it makes no sense. If clubs that can least afford it can spend over their income and the same as us, how is that stopping them going into massive debt?
Or have I misunderstood?

In principle, I don't object to it. The biggest problem in football is the gap between the haves and have nots. That's what makes leagues uncompetitive and keeps the same teams winning every year. That's what stops teams being able to afford to keep the great squad they've built even if they win the league.

However, as always, the devil is in the detail, and the football authorities have shown themselves completely incapable of dealing with things like this, from the shambles that is the profit and sustainability rules, to the great idea that is VAR ruined by the incompetence of those put in charge of it.

There's a fundamental problem of changeable wage bills. For example, last season our wage bills went up from £354m to £423m, largely as a result of bonuses paid out for winning the treble. In the current system, that's absolutely fine, because those bonuses are directly linked to the extra revenue the players have created by winning those competitions. But under this system, it doesn't work, because no matter how well our players do and how much extra revenue they bring in as a result, our treble-winning season is doing nothing to boost Southampton's revenue. You could end up in a situation where a club fails FFP because they won everything.

Just as a quick test case:
Southampton's TV revenue: £128 x 5 = £640m
City's outgoings: £423m wages, £145m amortization, £51m agent fees = £619m

And so you see that we're right on the edge. But the stupid thing is that we wouldn't know we were right on the edge until the end of the season when all of these bonuses were activated. But it's also worth mentioning that while we are on the edge, in our most expensive ever season, we're still operating within the proposed rules, which raises the question, what problem are you solving? If it doesn't force us and the other top teams to cut our spending and does nothing to redistribute funding to the lower teams, then what's the point of it? Other than to give some suits something to make themselves feel important?

I mean City are on course for 4 in a row and 6 in the last 7 so the Pl isn’t exactly a shining example to put up in defence.

Not sure what your point is?

The PL is far more successful currently than La Liga. They screwed themselves with how the tv rights are done and with their new financial restrictions.

We're currently an anomaly due to Pep. He leaves then we won't be as dominant.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.