New PL financial controls | Clubs agree squad spending cap 'in principle'

I think this is a really significant vote for the future of the PL.

By linking the top clubs spending to the bottom clubs revenue (and therefore ability to spend) the PL is making sure it has to pay attention to the lower third of the table. The only way for City, Chelsea & United to spend more money is to grow Luton's revenue.

It strikes me as a very sensible move to preserve competition, probably the most "fair" thing they've done since abolishing shared ticket revenue in the 70's, although I'm concerned about how much it will exaccerbate the parachute payment problem - the only real way for City/Chelsea/United to grow Luton's revenue is to push for bigger central payments from the PL, which is what the parachute payments are tied to.
To be honest, I'm not interested in fairness. I want us to be able to outspend every other team. Under current rules, spending is linked to revenues and we are the highest earners so we should be able to spend more. Utd and Chelsea won't be in CL so won't have the revenues to spend as much as us. Why the hell would we want to swap this model for one where Utd and Chelsea (and Newcastle, Arse, Liverpool, etc) can all spend the same as us. No wonder we voted against it

It'll be a draft system next and then the money will move to Spain where it can breath.

Can't imagine the PFA will be too happy with the prospect of restricting their members' earnings.

It doesn't restrict their members earnings.

That's why it's not a wage cap or a transfer spending cap or an agents fees cap, it's a cap on all combined spending.

If the PFA wants players to earn more, they're now in a position to want to drive down agents fees and transfer fees and make sure the players get a bigger slice of the spending pie.

If, in purest terms, all clubs can spend the same amount (which is what I've inferred from the announcement, admittedly I could be wrong) then I don't see the issue with it.

A draft system similar to US sports would be the fairest approach but that's a logistical nightmare at this stage.

It doesn't restrict their members earnings.

That's why it's not a wage cap or a transfer spending cap or an agents fees cap, it's a cap on all combined spending.

If the PFA wants players to earn more, they're now in a position to want to drive down agents fees and transfer fees and make sure the players get a bigger slice of the spending pie.

That only works properly if every league does it.

La Liga doesnt have those controls, neither does Serie A.

Nothing stopping teams in those league paying the demanded transfer fees and agents costs and wages.

It'll be a draft system next and then the money will move to Spain where it can breath.

Yes, I can just see the investors queing up to spend in La Liga now.

Between the clubs you cant actually own, to the legally required reasonable release clauses, to having to run every single euro spend past Javier Tebas before you can spend it or register a player.

The league which is so bankrupt top to bottom they just voted to give away 25% of it's revenue for the next 25 years to a hedge fund for up front cash to keep them afloat.

The Premier League isn't an industry, but even if it were, your point is nonsense. Our domestic cricket and rugby are competing with foreign leagues as well, they all impose spending controls. And La Liga and the Bundesliga self impose far harsher restrictions with 50+1 and Tebas' active spending monitoring.

Do you even understand the rule you're complaining about? The current limit would allow PL clubs to spend £566m a year. Which is more than any other clubs in Europe. It's not lowering the spending to the level of a promoted side, it's capping it at 600% what the promoted side can spend.

I read it would be capping it at around £110m?

La Liga has fucked itself with its spending controls and it's financial decisions. Only two teams ever really compete and one is financially screwed.

Cricket and Rugby isn't comparable as they earn no where near the PL.

Spending caps just won't work in a league with relegation and with other competing leagues unless they adopt the exact same rules and even then it will cause problems.

I can't see the players union going for it either.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.