New PL financial controls | Clubs agree squad spending cap 'in principle'

I really cannot emphasise enough that SPAIN ALREADY HAS A SPENDING LIMIT AND IT'S MORE STRICT THAN THIS.

It is so fucking frustrating seeing people like you writing comments about how the PL is fucking itself by introducing similar, but less strict controls than the ones already in place at all their competitors.

I've already said above, La Liga has fucked itself with its financial controls. So it's madness that the PL would want to introduce their own.

No other industry except every other sport on the planet, which all have their own financial controls.

I'm also not sure how this is damaging the league. They've clearly decided that the competitiveness of the PL is it's key differentiator compared to Spain, Germany etc. so they've taken a step which ensures that stays no matter how big the top clubs grow, the bottom clubs in the league will stay competitive and preserve the top to bottom "anyone can beat anyone" thing the PL has been selling to become the biggest league in football.

Top 4 want to spend more? Make sure the lower table clubs are growing too.

Where does this myth that the Premier League is competitive come from? The games are every weekend to a degree but the title winners aren't and never has been. Certain teams have had a monopoly on winning the Premier League singes it's inception. The Rags in the 90's and 2000's with Arsenal and Chelsea thrown in. Since the 2010's until now it's been us with Chelsea winning a couple and Leicester and Liverpool grabbing one.

In fact throughout the Premier League's existence there's only two outlying winners of it. Blackburn and Leicester. Blackburn cause they were backed by a rich owner and Leicester as it happened during a season where every big club was in transition and they had a superb season.

The move they've made today doesn't make sense to me and I don't see what they're trying to achieve.

Where does this myth that the Premier League is competitive come from? The games are every weekend to a degree

There you go, you just answered your own question. The bottom teams can beat the top teams on their day. That doesn't happen in Spain or Germany. Or ask Pep, who once said the difference was that unlike in Spain or Germany, when you got 2-0 up against a relegation team in England, they don't think they've lost the game and give up.

But even if you just restrict it to the top. In Spain there's a big 2.5. In France there's a big 1. In Germany there's a big 1.

In England there's at least 4 clubs who are realisticaly trying to win the league every season. We're in a 3 way title race. When was the last one of those in Germany?

Last edited:
I've already said above, La Liga has fucked itself with its financial controls. So it's madness that the PL would want to introduce their own.

LA Liga had to do it they were haemorrhaging cash at an alarming rate. Premier league clubs are getting more and more money.

Wont be long before the money saved by this initiative will be doled out down the divisions.

I’m surprised Newcastle have voted in favour of this.
Maybe I’m missing something?

I’m surprised Newcastle have voted in favour of this.
Maybe I’m missing something?

Newcastle's commercial revenues will not allow them to spend to the cap for probably 10 years.

FFP came in 2013, so Newcastle are probably thinking that by 2035 when they've grown their revenues to be competitive this rule will be reassessed.

Until then, it keeps them closer to the clubs they're trying to overtake.

I am surprised tbh, this adds an extra level of complexity on top of the UEFA rules for the top clubs.

We don't know the details yet, of course, but 6 times the lowest PL broadcasting revenue pretty much equals 70% of City's revenue anyway, so shouldn't affect us too much unless our revenue keeps growing faster than PL income for a few years. I suspect it may stabilise now, anyway.

If they are completely scrapping break-even requirements, I can see why Newcastle, for example, would vote for it. They can now invest more, until they qualify for Europe again. But are they scrapping break-even? If they are, what about debt?

Wait and see, I suppose.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.