New TV Offers

this will be brilliant, last years model but it’s the gallery version so thinner and comes with its own mount, only thing is you don’t have much room behind it for cables and plug up if you use the supplied mount.
Looks great will look into it further thanks again

Bump on this.

Looking at having a media wall done in the new year so might be a good time to invest in a new tv. We currently have a 1080p piece of shit

@Two Gun Bob seems to be the man in the know?
Thanks for the heads up, but I'm more of an enthusiast, than an expert. I spent over two years having to perform in depth research on the prevailing technology, in order to persue a case through the courts.

Regardless of whether you purchase an OLED (a beyond the excellent P.Q as owners on here will attest) or an LED or one of Samsungs excellent QLEDS offerings, I think the criteria should be more of the ... "where you buy it from"

As others have mentioned Richer Sounds with it's industry beating 6 year warranty or John Lewis's splendid aftercare, should serve you well. On the other hand I wouldn't buy a battery from Curry's, let alone a precious piece of advanced technology. The Richer Sound crew actually appear to be knowledgable concerning items they sell, and will explain things in a much greater depth than any fast sell conglomerat will or could.

Go on the main audio-visual forums first and spend a week or so reading up the lastest tech ..
AVFORUMS.COM is an excellent prooving ground, and then make your own call.

On a personal level I would not purchase an OLED, but that's only my own preference, based on previous burn ins with an 65 LG 3D TV. Incidently LG are still not covering burn as they say it's a user issue and not a defect. Plus they say they have developed lots and lots of advanced tech to stop this happening in a modern day suburban setting. How do you spend a fortune to develop a tech within a tech, to stop something happening, that according to them .. doesnt happen?

If you don't "consistantly"watch a lot of content with logos or banners, then you should be good to go as the P.Q is insanely good. If you err on the cautious like myself, then QLEDS are as close to an OLED as you can get with a 10 year screen burn warranty thrown in. (they dont burn). As your mounting on a wall, you will have little issues with angle viewing, as this is perfected well by filters.

Tech radar bods said last year that if you use an OLED .. then they offer this valuable advice to it's readers.

"The best way to avoid burn-in is to keep watching varied content. Don't leave your TV on the same image all the time and definitely don't leave anything paused for hours on end. Alternatively, turn the brightness down or choose a dimmer picture mode from your TV's options such as Cinema instead of Vivid. You don't need to do this all the time, though – only if you're playing the same game for hours on end or watching rolling news for most of the day.
Also, check your TV settings and enable features like LG’s Screen Shift – or Pixel Shift, in the case of Sony. Run Pixel Refresh or Panel Refresh to reset the pixels to avoid image retention"

As much as I love the OLED picture, I dont have the time, patience or the incliniation to "baby sit one"

Regarding your referenced 1080i piece of shit : )
I still have our 16-17 year old Sony KDL 52W4000 SERIES 52 inch 1080 in the grandkids play room, in beautiful condition, and still giving hours and hours of pleasure in a gaming/you-tube environment. Makes a nonsense of Currys/LG defence saying I didn't know how to look after a tv saying we must have absused their tech : /

I'm under the impression ..but do check, that John Lewis have an insurance policy costing £180 for a 5 year guarantee that specifically mentions/covers "burn in" issues, so you can have your cake and eat it with 5 years of piece of mind ownership. If you are unfortunate enough to get burn-in, they'll simply replace the panel.

After 5 years however, you will have had reasonable value for money in a throw away society. Your £1,000 spend over a 260 week tenur, will effectivly have worked out at £3.84 a week or ten bob a day..Hoozah!

Good luck Mr Thasksin, and whatever you choose I hope you'll be as happy as we both are with our Sammy Q90.

Not an OLED dis post (they are fabulous). Just a user that prefers his 3k outlay to last a tad longer than 2 years.

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up, but I'm more of an enthusiast, than an expert. I spent over two years having to perform in depth research on the prevailing technology, in order to persue a case through the courts.

Regardless of whether you purchase an OLED (a beyond the excellent P.Q as owners on here will attest) or an LED or one of Samsungs excellent QLEDS offerings, I think the criteria should be more of the ... "where you buy it from"

As others have mentioned Richer Sounds with it's industry beating 6 year warranty or John Lewis's splendid aftercare, should serve you well. On the other hand I wouldn't buy a battery from Curry's, let alone a precious piece of advanced technology. The Richer Sound crew actually appear to be knowledgable concerning items they sell, and will explain things in a much greater depth than any fast sell conglomerat will or could.

Go on the main audio-visual forums first and spend a week or so reading up the lastest tech ..
AVFORUMS.COM is an excellent prooving ground, and then make your own call.

On a personal level I would not purchase an OLED, but that's only my own preference, based on previous burn ins with an 65 LG 3D TV. Incidently LG are still not covering burn as they say it's a user issue and not a defect. Plus they say they have developed lots and lots of advanced tech to stop this happening in a modern day suburban setting. How do you spend a fortune to develop a tech within a tech, to stop something happening, that according to them .. doesnt happen?

If you don't "consistantly"watch a lot of content with logos or banners, then you should be good to go as the P.Q is insanely good. If you err on the cautious like myself, then QLEDS are as close to an OLED as you can get with a 10 year screen burn warranty thrown in. (they dont burn). As your mounting on a wall, you will have little issues with angle viewing, as this is perfected well by filters.

Tech radar bods said last year that if you use an OLED .. then they offer this valuable advice to it's readers.

"The best way to avoid burn-in is to keep watching varied content. Don't leave your TV on the same image all the time and definitely don't leave anything paused for hours on end. Alternatively, turn the brightness down or choose a dimmer picture mode from your TV's options such as Cinema instead of Vivid. You don't need to do this all the time, though – only if you're playing the same game for hours on end or watching rolling news for most of the day.
Also, check your TV settings and enable features like LG’s Screen Shift – or Pixel Shift, in the case of Sony. Run Pixel Refresh or Panel Refresh to reset the pixels to avoid image retention"

As much as I love the OLED picture, I dont have the time, patience or the incliniation to "baby sit one"

Regarding your referenced 1080i piece of shit : )
I still have our 16-17 year old Sony KDL 52W4000 SERIES 52 inch 1080 in the grandkids play room, in beautiful condition, and still giving hours and hours of pleasure in a gaming/you-tube environment. Makes a nonsense of Currys/LG defence saying I didn't know how to look after a tv saying we must have absused their tech : /

I'm under the impression ..but do check, that John Lewis have an insurance policy costing £180 for a 5 year guarantee that specifically mentions/covers "burn in" issues, so you can have your cake and eat it with 5 years of piece of mind ownership. If you are unfortunate enough to get burn-in, they'll simply replace the panel.

After 5 years however, you will have had reasonable value for money in a throw away society. Your £1,000 spend over a 260 week tenur, will effectivly have worked out at £3.84 a week or ten bob a day..Hoozah!

Good luck Mr Thasksin, and whatever you choose I hope you'll be as happy as we both are with our Sammy Q90.

Not an OLED dis post (they are fabulous). Just a user that prefers his 3k outlay to last a tad longer than 2 years.
Burn in doesn’t happen anymore it’s all moved on since your old one mate, JL do a n extra warranty like you said, I’ve got 4 OLEDS never had a problem, I game watch tv films and stuff with banners never had a problem.

Burn in doesn’t happen anymore it’s all moved on since your old one mate, JL do a n extra warranty like you said, I’ve got 4 OLEDS never had a problem, I game watch tv films and stuff with banners never had a problem.
Just because it hasnt happened to you mate (which I'm glad of) doesnt mean that the issue no longer exists.
It still causing issues and it's still causing problems for many people, as of today. When you say it doesnt happen anymore ..what build date TV's are you you refering to?

Burn in doesn't happen overnight and can take many years to materialise. Why are LG and others still integtraing anti burn measures to their tech. Seems a bit pointless for something that does no longer exists.And why are J.L selling an insurance warranty for something that cant or wont happen.

Looking to get a new TV. Probably a 65". Does anyone have any insider info on when the prices might start to drop in Currys or Richer Sounds etc...?

From looking at price spy on a few sets they seem to be more expensive than around Christmas time.

I know there is usually a drop around spring when the new sets come out but if the Coronavirus is causing production issues I am worried it could be a while before the current TVs drop.

Don't go into Currys - whenever I do all the TV's are showing rags or dippers action

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.