New York City FC Thread (new away kit P245)

It's in the interests of City for these clubs to do well. It attracts more global sponsors and if the likes of NYCFC get better and better and the MLS improves then we can send academy players there to get more first team football and improve.

Currently they're a club still finding their feet and unfortunately the majority of their fans don't really get why they were started and don't appreciate the role City had in that. I get the bitterness over Lampard as many bought season tickets on the premise that he would be a NYCFC player and then it emerged he hadn't even been registered with them at all. It's unfortunate but they should still understand that without City there wouldn't be a NYCFC for starters, and secondly Lampard would never have gone there. He'd be in LA or with the New York Red Bulls.

It's in the interests of City for these clubs to do well. It attracts more global sponsors and if the likes of NYCFC get better and better and the MLS improves then we can send academy players there to get more first team football and improve.

Currently they're a club still finding their feet and unfortunately the majority of their fans don't really get why they were started and don't appreciate the role City had in that. I get the bitterness over Lampard as many bought season tickets on the premise that he would be a NYCFC player and then it emerged he hadn't even been registered with them at all. It's unfortunate but they should still understand that without City there wouldn't be a NYCFC for starters, and secondly Lampard would never have gone there. He'd be in LA or with the New York Red Bulls.

Therein lies the issue for me. Who in their right mind buys a season ticket based upon one 36 year old Englishman playing for the club? An idiot, that's who. Yes, the situation was handled poorly, and I can see there being a degree of disappointment, and maybe even some anger, at how it all panned out. However, if you're making such expensive, and committal decisions like season ticket purchases on the promise of one player joining a club then you need to take a long, hard look at where your life has gone wrong.

The major issue I have is with their "fans" claiming to be just that, fans. No, you're not. You may be in time, give it a season or two, but at this stage you haven't "served your time" to class yourself as a fan. They had people talking about how they were "die hard fans" before NYCFC had even kicked a ball! Before they, technically, existed as anything other than a concept. That's borderline mental illness. People who "became NYCFC fans" when they came into existence had to fall into one of the following categories prior to that stage:-

1 - Fans of another MLS club who jumped ship to NYCFC - By that very definition they are fickle individuals who's loyalties can be bought, or easily transferred. The kind of fan all successful clubs end up attracting, and the kind of fan they'll lose in harder times.

2 - People who had no real affiliation, or care, for "soccer" - This group obviously don't really understand the game, as they don't have any real history in it as a supporter. They'll be the ones who make rash decisions, jump to incorrect conclusions, and don't grasp NYCFC's place in the grand scheme of all things "City" related.

3 - Fans of "football" in general who hadn't chosen an existing MLS side to support - Probably the best of the 3 categories to fall into. At least this group understand the game, and aren't the types to go from club to club as whim, and success, determine. You're likely to get a greater degree of sensible discussion from this lot and, ultimately, give it 4 or 5 years, and it'll be these fans who are most likely to still be around.

I've no time whatsoever for category 1 fans. The majority of category 2 fans will fall away, although some will learn about the game and stay. Category 3 fans are fine, and will eventually form the bedrock of a club like NYCFC's fanbase.

Therein lies the issue for me. Who in their right mind buys a season ticket based upon one 36 year old Englishman playing for the club? An idiot, that's who. Yes, the situation was handled poorly, and I can see there being a degree of disappointment, and maybe even some anger, at how it all panned out. However, if you're making such expensive, and committal decisions like season ticket purchases on the promise of one player joining a club then you need to take a long, hard look at where your life has gone wrong.

The major issue I have is with their "fans" claiming to be just that, fans. No, you're not. You may be in time, give it a season or two, but at this stage you haven't "served your time" to class yourself as a fan. They had people talking about how they were "die hard fans" before NYCFC had even kicked a ball! Before they, technically, existed as anything other than a concept. That's borderline mental illness. People who "became NYCFC fans" when they came into existence had to fall into one of the following categories prior to that stage:-

1 - Fans of another MLS club who jumped ship to NYCFC - By that very definition they are fickle individuals who's loyalties can be bought, or easily transferred. The kind of fan all successful clubs end up attracting, and the kind of fan they'll lose in harder times.

2 - People who had no real affiliation, or care, for "soccer" - This group obviously don't really understand the game, as they don't have any real history in it as a supporter. They'll be the ones who make rash decisions, jump to incorrect conclusions, and don't grasp NYCFC's place in the grand scheme of all things "City" related.

3 - Fans of "football" in general who hadn't chosen an existing MLS side to support - Probably the best of the 3 categories to fall into. At least this group understand the game, and aren't the types to go from club to club as whim, and success, determine. You're likely to get a greater degree of sensible discussion from this lot and, ultimately, give it 4 or 5 years, and it'll be these fans who are most likely to still be around.

I've no time whatsoever for category 1 fans. The majority of category 2 fans will fall away, although some will learn about the game and stay. Category 3 fans are fine, and will eventually form the bedrock of a club like NYCFC's fanbase.

I agree with your fan classification but I think you're a bit harsh on the season ticket aspect. This is a newly formed club and clearly they marketed the hell out of it to get people to games. Part of that was to bring in a headline act. Yes Lampard is old but the MLS isn't going to sign big names until they've hit their early to mid 30s. Most people in New York who like football will have watched the prem and they'll have been excited at the prospect of seeing Lampard even if he is past his best. I think that's understandable and that would be a big reason many bought season tickets.

As regular football fans we're more seasoned to what happens. Season ticket renewal time always sees Liverpool and the Rags announce how much money they're going to spend. Most regular attendees know it's probably bollocks but want to watch the club anyway. Because NYCFC is just starting many were probably more interested in the players they might get to watch than the team itself to start with.

Didn't know you had to qualify to consider yourself a supporter.

So, tomorrow, I could suddenly decide I'm going to be a fan of Salford City Reds Rugby League, watch one game, and then start spouting off to anyone who listens how huge a fan I am? Of course not, you don't just decide "oh, I'm a fan of that team" and it makes you a fan. You EARN the right to be a fan by demonstrating, over a period of time, that you act like a fan. We all start out like that, I went to my first City game in 1987, as a 10 year old. I wasn't a Manchester City fan. I became a fan as I attended games, and as City became more important to me. It's simply not possible for a football club that has existed for less than 20 games, who played their first ever game only 4 months ago, to have any real fans at this stage. They'll get them, but it'll take longer than half a season or so to develop true fans.

Many of their fans on "that" forum just don't grasp Football culture at all, and seem to dislike their chosen american clubs association with City, one factor being many already have an affiliation with another English club... So when a Blue (such as myself) goes on there and starts defending City of course the biggest Arsenal fan in the world is gonna start firing his Shotgun at me.
I was having a joke about NYCFC losing in their Live Chat Box a few months back, saying how NYCFC are exactly like typical city, always losing".... and I was banned from their live chat for this comment.

Leave em to it. Now My interest goes as far as only watching to see the progression of City Loanees and my previous desire to actually get up and go and watch the match they had over here in Manchester has now gone, sadly due to their legions of Arsenal fans who have acted like cocks to me and fellow blues.

So, tomorrow, I could suddenly decide I'm going to be a fan of Salford City Reds Rugby League, watch one game, and then start spouting off to anyone who listens how huge a fan I am?

If you like. You can even go on a Salford City message board and say so for all I care.

Of course not, you don't just decide "oh, I'm a fan of that team" and it makes you a fan. You EARN the right to be a fan by demonstrating, over a period of time, that you act like a fan. We all start out like that, I went to my first City game in 1987, as a 10 year old. I wasn't a Manchester City fan. I became a fan as I attended games, and as City became more important to me. It's simply not possible for a football club that has existed for less than 20 games, who played their first ever game only 4 months ago, to have any real fans at this stage. They'll get them, but it'll take longer than half a season or so to develop true fans.

IMO people put way to much effort into whether or not people are proper fans or not. I consider myself a supporter of Melbourne City, NYC and YF Marinos.

Been to two friendly games between the three sides.

If someone doesnt think I've put in enough yards to call myself that I, quite frankly, couldnt give a shit.

Feel for the fans????...and this is the guy who runs their forum.

We won't tolerate supporters throwing around personal insults. But the Lampard fiasco was a big blow to the club. We sit in last place without a second DP (this is a big thing here) and it's inexcusable the way things went down. If supporters of THIS CLUB THAT THIS FORUM REPRESENTS want to direct anger at MCFC who was responsible for it then by all means let them. If you want to defend your club then go to BM because this isn't the place. We do welcome all supporters. However, if it offends you to be an MCFC fan here then it's clearly not the place for you to be and you should respect that and leave.
Will people forgive Lampard and move on, sure eventually. But a lot sooner than they will MCFC.

Not all their fans will be like the wankers on their forum

The thing is, people don't go over to their forums to give "constructive arguments in defence of MCFC". A few have come and been reasonable for a while, but very few seem to be able to resist the lure of slipping towards "we gave you your club, suck it up" - and what's worse, it's usually (not always, but usually) said not in a gentle or suggestive way but in an arrogant or argumentative style that positively invites the angry replies.

Can anyone here honestly say that if we bought Pogba, and he was properly announced and so on, and then as the start of the season came round, when it was obvious that City's renovations were built around his place in the team, it was announced that Juve had decided to take him back on loan until February, that you wouldn't burst with fury? I know I would. Maybe if the deal all along was that he would be loaned back for half a season people would accept it, but the transfer was announced and then suddenly it was revealed that actually he was never signed, and Juve want him back thank you very much. People would be apoplectic.

And then imagine that, after that happening, Bluemoon starts getting flooded with Juve fans coming in saying "what you've got to appreciate is that Pogba will probably win you the Champions League in a few years time. We don't care that you're not getting him now, just think of how good you'll feel in 2021!" And imagine that it didn't happen once but it kept happening for six months in a slow but continuous trickle. You better bet that Ric and the mods would be banning them, and the forums would be going into meltdown every time the next one signed up.

Oh, and by the way - "the guy who runs their forum" is a City fan. He's just been forced to do this because the forum basically tore itself apart every time the next one signed up. I'm also a City fan first and foremost and an admin on their forum, and even I've got sick of seeing new City fans signing up, even though at the start I was truly hoping that both teams would get along like brothers in arms.

Wish id made that post,brilliant

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.