New York City FC Thread (new away kit P245)

Re: New York City

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/86003/the-designated-player-new-york-city-fcs-smart-choice-in-jason-kreis" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-trian ... ason-kreis</a>

New York City FC has a lot to get right in a short amount of time, but appointing Jason Kreis as their first head coach is a very good start.

Since the team was announced back in May, the MLS expansion side has been under intense scrutiny — not just for the possible appointments they make, but also for any signs that might betray a tin ear for the dialect of soccer in America. That's partially to be expected: The ownership at Manchester City aren't so naive as to think that name recognition alone would see them welcomed without reservation in the U.S. — especially in the tribal world of football. That said, the NYCFC admin might have been surprised to be immediately labeled Chivas Mark II and asked to prove otherwise with their every move.

The other 2015 expansion team, Orlando City, already exists as a competitive entity, and their English head coach, Adrian Heath, has brought them considerable success at the USL Pro level, where they are reigning champions. But considering the scrutiny surrounding NYCFC, it's impossible to imagine a scenario in which the appointment of an English coach — even one with American coaching credentials and a Manchester City playing background such as Heath — would fly as a credible appointment in MLS circles. NYCFC appointments have to walk the tightrope of being at once part of the global vision of Manchester City while also indicating absolute respect for, and knowledge of, a local context to avoid being labeled arrogant or even imperialist.

They also couldn't come with too much baggage. For example, I tried to imagine what would happen if NYC had managed to lure Bruce Arena, but that would have been somehow too aggressive a statement of intent, and Arena's need for a well-run fiefdom wouldn't jibe with the City infrastructure anyway. Other coaches are too embedded in the history of the league. NYC couldn't have appointed a returning Bob Bradley, or even a coach like Dom Kinnear, whose real-politic take on the MLS system makes his teams consistently literate in what needs to be done to manage an MLS schedule, but somehow too parochial to speak meaningfully to the wider context of the larger City structure.

Kreis, though … The minute his name first came up a few months ago, it felt right. Kreis knows MLS, has succeeded in the league, tries to play attractive soccer within sensible limits, is young enough to learn, but has done enough to be trusted. And he’s someone who can be entirely his own man while not blanching at the "holistic" vision Manchester City — and chairman Ferran Soriano in particular — have for the organization.

That vision has endured its fair share of sneering in the U.K. press, but in exploring everything from open-sourcing match data, to quietly buying up and developing land near City's stadium into a huge academy, to their engagement with America via NYCFC, City have been nothing if not creatively ambitious. They've also tried to develop this via a long-term ethos that has run counterintuitive to the prevailing mythic archetype of Premier League soccer — a myth that begins and ends with Sir Alex Ferguson.

Watching Roberto Mancini chafe his way out of the club culture seemed puzzling to those who saw successful management only in terms of the type of dominant cult of personality that could emulate Ferguson — surely this is what the club needed, wasn't it? The fact was, after ending the club's trophy and title drought, Mancini had in some ways done as much as a coach of his instincts and ego could within the long-term project of that particular club. The type of power base and recruitment policy he sought to build off those trophies was never going to be possible, or in the eyes of those running the club, desirable.

Manuel Pellegrini — early mixed results notwithstanding — is a better fit, and when the news of Kreis's appointment in New York was followed by news that he would be shadowing his Manchester counterpart, alongside other key figures on the sporting side such as Patrick Vieira and director of football Txiki Begiristain, it was somehow easy to envisage Kreis in dialogue with these men. Imagining the same dynamic with Mancini, you can only see Kreis enduring one of the Italian's alternately charming and vengeful monologues with the type of steely, indifferent patience he has perfected in Real Salt Lake press conferences down the years.

Kreis is comfortable with systems. That doesn't mean he looks less at the individual potential of players and more at their utility; while it's true that he and GM Garth Lagerwey never altered the RSL team to build round a talented individual who might unbalance as much as he contributes, he and his staff took great pleasure in developing individuals within a clear system.

That's a very good write up. Be interesting to see how it all pans out.

BufordUSABlue said:
Frank the Yank said:
sergiokun said:
Nasri reveals MLS ambition

Manchester City midfielder Samir Nasri claims he would like to experience life in the American MLS before heading back to his roots at Marseille.

The France international is in no rush to leave the Etihad Stdaium, having penned a long-term contract upon his arrival in 2011.

He is, however, aware that the time will come to move on at some stage.

A return to Marseille would certainly appeal to a man who graduated out of the academy system at Stade Velodrome, but Nasri concedes that such a switch forms no part of his immediate plans.

The 26-year-old told L'Equipe: "Clearly, economic reality stops me from thinking about playing at OM right now.

"In the future, I don't know yet. I would like to discover the MLS. I love American culture."

For now, Nasri remains very much part of the set-up at Manchester City, with new Blues boss Manuel Pellegrini having made it clear that he is counting on the talented playmaker to raise his game and rid himself of the inconsistencies which marred his 2012/13 campaign.

Nasri added: "I had a talk with Manuel Pellegrini. We'll see what happens.

"He came to me the first day and told me that he was counting on me, that I would be an important player, that I was going to play.

"We'll see - I'm not worrying about it. If I'm good, the coach will play me. He's just arrived and he has to get results."

-- Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:41 pm --

Will we see some of our players heading over there?? Maybe even Barry next year

After I heard Henry was on $4 Million per year, NOW I know why these guys would LOV to ca$h in during the twilight of their careers!!! had no clue Henry made that much!!!

No sh*t Frank, this was reported by Forbes;
"David Beckham signed a contract in January 2007 to join the Los Angeles Galaxy of Major League Soccer. His deal was widely reported to be for $250 million over five years. The reality is the $250 million was the potential earnings for Beckham from all sources on and off the field. His base salary was $6.5 million a year and he received a percentage of Galaxy revenue that brought the total to $50 million over the five years.

And despite turning 37 in May, Beckham continues to be the sport’s top-earner off the pitch. Forbes examines the world’s highest-paid athletes each year and Beckham ranked No. 8 this summer with earnings of $46 million. It is estimated that Beckham earned $255 million over the past six years in MLS, including salary, revenue sharing, endorsements, appearances and licensing (he signed a two-year contract extension with the Galaxy in January, but will depart with a year left on the deal)."

For the record;
The highest-paid players in 2012 in the MLS overall were:

1. Thierry Henry, New York, $5.6 million
2. Rafa Marquez, New York, $4.6 million
3. David Beckham, L.A., $4 million
4. Tim Cahill, New York, $3.6 million
5. Robbie Keane, L.A., $3.4 million
6. Landon Donovan, L.A., $2.4 million
7. Torsten Frings, Toronto, $2.4 million
8. Marco Di Vaio, Montreal, $1.9 million
9. Julian DeGuzman, Dallas, $1.9 million
10. Danny Koevermans, Toronto, $1.6 million
11. Kris Boyd, Portland, $1.5 million
12. Kenny Miller, Vancouver, $1.2 million

They are the only players in the league making more than $1 million.

So both Tim Cahill & Robbie Keane both earned between $280,000 & $300,00 per month, $70,000 & $75,000 per week respectively - not a bad gig at all!! And the 'legendary Kenny Miller, when he's not scoring against England, earned $100,00 per month, $25,000 per week!! with all his board and lodgings paid also......... in a fascinating and beautiful City (albeit a wee bit wet sometimes) one things for sure.......

Don't knock the MLS, there is a lot of money to be made out here.

Beckham also got a guarantee he would be the next owner of an expansion franchise at a reduced price.

Just read that Jason Kreis, new head coach, will be spending a year in in manchester shadowing members of the coaching staff and txiki.

Anyone know of what this entails. Not expecting people to know his schedule, just wondering if someone knows whether were likely to see him playing an active part with the first team.

Sleeping_Easy said:
Just read that Jason Kreis, new head coach, will be spending a year in in manchester shadowing members of the coaching staff and txiki.

Anyone know of what this entails. Not expecting people to know his schedule, just wondering if someone knows whether were likely to see him playing an active part with the first team.

He´ll be doing a media-meet on Friday in NY..We might know more afterwards

The news going overboard with our owner's purchase of an MLS expansion. Really?? Chivas is probably bankrupt
and can't even draw 5,000 fans. And that's not news! They are putting an Orlando club in the middle of a Tornado
Trailer Park and a concrete retirement home. That's news. Beckham and Lebron starting a team in Miami. Now
THAT will get ink.

Kun Aguero said:
Who's going to be our marquee signing? I'm hoping for Donovan and think Ronaldinho will be another.
I have previously said it'll be Ronaldinho, SWP and Demichelis

So I've never bought in to all this "second club" bollocks.

However if they are following our philosophy, our coaching methods and scouting network as well as signing players like Villa and Lampard then I might take a bit of an interest.

I suppose they are like a subsidiary of City so it's not as bad.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.