New York City FC Thread (new away kit P245)

Re: New York City

JoeMercer'sWay said:
101toMR said:
JoeMercer'sWay said:
One thing I don't really get with American Sports is how they split the divisions East/West, yet everyone still plays each other?

Is it a distance thing?
The winners of each regional division play each other to see who's king dick?

why would they play each other though? If they didn't play east v west, then I'd understand it, but everyone plays each other so why not just have 1 league?
I don't know about socccerball, but in baseball you play the teams in your division a lot more often, so you don't have to travel as far as often. But they play 162 games a year, so obviously it makes a much bigger difference than with however long an MLS season is

MC_fan_in_Texas said:
acquiesce said:
JoeMercer'sWay said:
why would they play each other though? If they didn't play east v west, then I'd understand it, but everyone plays each other so why not just have 1 league?
I believe (though dont quote me on it) they only play the other division once and the teams in their own division twice. Thats how other US sports roughly work.
Yeah this is correct. It does save on some travel costs. It's almost 2500 miles from NYC to seattle for example.
2500 miles??, fuck all that, try getting to crystal palace on a monday night, now thats a mission

aguero93:20 said:
101toMR said:
karen7 said:
Watched last weeks game and half of this one and really enjoyed it,they work really hard even if the quality is not as good.I'm really going to follow them and it'll be good to have something to watch over the summer as well

That's exactly why I am trying to get into this MLS side.

I know the leagues not the highest quality but that might prove difficult, unless you're a decent fullback.

If you had ever seen me play (We had leather balls back then) you would seriously just have me down as a left back.
left back in the dressing room.
The old ones are always the best mate :-)

wilky2868 said:
MC_fan_in_Texas said:
acquiesce said:
I believe (though dont quote me on it) they only play the other division once and the teams in their own division twice. Thats how other US sports roughly work.
Yeah this is correct. It does save on some travel costs. It's almost 2500 miles from NYC to seattle for example.
2500 miles??, fuck all that, try getting to crystal palace on a monday night, now thats a mission

Well to give you an idea of the travel differences between MLS and EPL, I live in Fort Worth, TX so the closest team to me is FC Dallas. If I wanted to travel to a away match, the closest for me would be the Houston Dynamo. It would be a 267 mile drive to Houston. The longest distance between two EPL teams is Newcastle/Southampton at 328 miles.

East/West is a general designation that allows for more regional play. In many sports, teams from the East will play teams from the West, but usually with much less frequency because the travel is too onerous. If the team in New England travels to play the team in Seattle or LA (or vice versa), they're looking at at least a 5 hour flight.

But no matter what, it'll be a bit hard to understand our fascination with playoffs. We've got it pretty weird over here, where we play an entire season to determine who more or less is the best, then have those people play a tournament to decide who the champion is. So our league isn't about crowning a winner, it's about establishing an order for the playoff tournaments. In that vein, playing the teams from the other division just offers a little variety of opposition.

watched NYC last night , cracking game , young city lad facey , looked decent when he came on , they are the not skillful or technical side , but every player gave 100%,cant wait for the next game.

MC_fan_in_Texas said:
wilky2868 said:
MC_fan_in_Texas said:

Well to give you an idea of the travel differences between MLS and EPL, I live in Fort Worth, TX so the closest team to me is FC Dallas. If I wanted to travel to a away match, the closest for me would be the Houston Dynamo. It would be a 267 mile drive to Houston. The longest distance between two EPL teams is Newcastle/Southampton at 328 miles.

You think New England to Seattle is bad? Try some of the trips in the southern hemisphere Super Rugby competition! Must be the most far flung tournament in the world. Take the Highlanders (Dunedin, NZ) playing the Blue Bulls (Pretoria, SA); 11 182 KM, or 7000 miles, near as makes no difference. Not to mention about 10 hours time difference and the 4000+ feet difference in altitude. Not an easy away trip!

Regarding the whole travel distance thing, once a team goes out on the road they will generally stay out for a while.
Eg. Toronto's 1st. eight matches are away from home.

Barcon said:
Regarding the whole travel distance thing, once a team goes out on the road they will generally stay out for a while.
Eg. Toronto's 1st. eight matches are away from home.

Fucking agenda.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.