Newcastle (a) post match thread

I can't bear to read through the previous 91 pages so sorry if its been mentioned already, but does anyone else think this team has a real habit of sulking whenever a referee makes a particularly bad decision?

I think it's happened quote a few times now over the last few years. We get a really bad decision, whether it's a goal disallowed or a blatant penalty or red card not given and they just seem to take ages to get over it.

Yes like the time kdb was kicked to fuck by spurs but went down the other end and smashed home a goal dedicating it to silva

And like the time he did similar v wba

Just 2 examples of the players doing the opposite of what you are saying

It’s very, very difficult to retain the title.

So many factors feed into a title defence. The mentality of the players, the desire of opposition teams to lift against the top dog, balancing all the demands of all the various competitions, luck with fitness, getting a fair shake from the refs where the margins are razor slim, and reinvigorating the team in the off season through player acquisition.

In our case, I think there’s a valid argument in regard to the mentality of our team. Complacency has always loomed large and I think we have seen evidence of this in some games. Secondly, we lost our best player for a good part of the season. Thirdly, we’ve copped it from quite a few refs this season (the non penalties to Sterling being a good example). Finally, we didn’t reinvigorate the team in key positions in the off season.

I’m still not writing us off. But if last night’s game doesn’t give our players an almighty kick up the rear end, then nothing will.

Our players have to forget about believing their own publicity, roll their sleeves up, and get back to basics. That is, working their butts off for 90 minutes.

It starts with the next game.

Just goes to show, for all the superior possesion and passing stats, it counts for nothing if you don't put the ball in the back of the net.

Why is pep so rigid in his formations against the lower teams. We could easily have gone 3.5.2 or 3.4.3 against them lot last night.

And we've gone back to conceding at every bloody effort on goal. I'd love to see the shots on goal to goal ratio both for and against us. I bet it's miles apart. Still think in the summer is where we are performing badly. It's happened the last 2 times of winning the league. The board think "well we won it so we don't need to compliment the squad. Liverpool addressed all their problems in the summer with key acquisitions, whilst we argued with Leicester and Napoli over a few quid. The same will happen this summer. We will spend a shed load, win it, stand still then lose it the year after.

Long way to go, but I think last night might just be that one loss too many.

Although I didn't expect last night's 'performance' the fact is we have been well below last seasons standards for months and even before our recent semi-collapse. Half arsed, strolling around play from far too many, the whole team seemingly stopping playing when we get in front and a mass loss of form have combined to create a perfect storm.

The league may have gone but there is still time to make sure the season isn't a complete non-event. However, there needs to be some hunger and desire shown in order for that to happen & Pep needs to show that he won't accept what the squad is currently delivering.

One thing with the part about Pep showing them it will not be accepted seems to be his hands are tied with signings.

We have missed out on a few players he wanted, why is that?

I not arsed about working with what you have got, if this manager wants someone, then you go and get them.

We seem for want of a better word, stale at times

Pep gets £15m per year to find solutions to our teams problems, if I was at the club I'd tell Pep it's ok to win 1-0, and more importantly it's ok to play on the counter.

You don't hire Pep to develop a counter attacking team and the club has a clear vision as part of its strategy as to how it wants to play and Pep embodies that philosophy.

Strategies can change and should if they are not working but it's far too soon to divert from the vision. The players have to execute their roles better or be replaced.

I'm sure Pep will evolve how the team plays to a degree but the fundamental approach is not going to change.

One thing with the part about Pep showing them it will not be accepted seems to be his hands are tied with signings.

We have missed out on a few players he wanted, why is that?

I not arsed about working with what you have got, if this manager wants someone, then you go and get them.

We seem for want of a better word, stale at times

I think we have seen more and more evidence that we have to do a bit more in the transfer market. Easier said than done though.

Oh, we can win it, no question. But we've now put ourselves in the position where, not only do we have to play bloody well (more than possible, despite last night) but Liverpool have to start dropping two, or even three, points against mediocre and downright poor opposition. Something which there's been no indication whatsoever so far that they're going to do. On the contrary, they dig in, even when they haven't played very well, and get the three points (i.e. Palace, recently). We don't. Not this season. I had forgotten that we lost three times from winning positions. Now that is dire.

Dave needs to shave his head again

Yep. Although I think this is sadly the start of his decline as he is of that age. I was actually surprised quite how brilliant he was last season, probably his best along with 2011/12 season. Same goes for Dinho.

Both still have the ability to have outstanding games (Dinho against dippers a prime example) but not sure they can reach those levels week in week out anymore as they are simply just getting old.

Urrgh... today is a grim day.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.