Newcastle Thread - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
This Friday is the anniversary of the club being taken over and what a difference a year makes.

7th October 2021:

League position 19th, Played 7, Won 0, Drew 3, Lost 4, Goals for 8, Goals against 16, Goal difference -8, Points 3.

7th October 2022:

League position 7th, Played 8, Won 2, Drew 5, Lost 1, Goals for 12, Goals against 8, Goal difference +4, Points 11.

Difference year on year:

League position +12, Played +1, Won +2, Drew +2, Lost -3, Goals for +4, Goals against -8, Goal difference +12, Points +8.

That’s not too shabby really.
Eddie Howe has done brilliantly and deserves a great deal of credit for the fantastic improvement in your results.

I thought he would do well for you, but I didn’t really expect him to take you so far so fast.

I think you can consider yourselves genuine top five/six contenders. Maybe even top four, especially if you can bring in one or two top quality additions I. January.

Last edited:
Eddie Howe has done brilliantly and deserves a great deal of credit for the fantastic improvement in your results.

I thought he would do well for you, but I didn’t really expect him to take you so fat so fast.

I think you can consider yourselves genuine top five/six contenders. Maybe even top four, especially if you can bring in one or two top quality additions I. January.

Eddie has been much better than I expected and he's been hugely impressive from day one when he came in to training at just after 6am and didn’t leave until after 7pm. He came in during darkness and left under darkness. Before Eddie took over as manager we had a team of players who couldn’t play for more than 60 minutes during a game and we sat back and hoped for a bit of magic from somebody, anybody.

We had absolutely nothing going for us and he’s changed that little by little.

At first we could see the players fitness level raise and that allowed them to do things which they sinply couldn’t do because we’d run out of steam even earlier. This season we’ve seen a sea change as we’ve gone from sitting everybody behind the ball. The only time we had players in front of the ball was when it was in our net.

We’ve evolving as a team and it will still take time because we need to learn how to break teams down at times but we’re learning and everybody is now enjoying playing for the club again.

We’ve brought new players in and we’re building a really solid spine to the team. Pope, Botman, Bruno and Isak have all improved us. Some of the players we brought in came in to do a job and were never going to be long term. Wood weakened a rival and held the ball up well for us last season which kept the ball away from out goal and allowed other players to get involved. Burn solidified our defence when we were leaking like a colander, we no longer do that but we need to phase Burn out of the team.

I would say our best 11 is Pope, Trippier, Schar, Botman, Targett, Bruno, Joelinton, Willock, Isak, Wilson and Saint-Maximin. Add Shelvey, Almiron, Lewis, Fraser, Anderson (young kid) and we can cause problems for a lot of teams.

I hope that we can spend again in the Winter transfer window and bring in another quality, youngish, midfielder and then we need to look to get older players out of the starting 11. Schar, Trippier and Wilson are getting on and Targett is too slow. Hopefully we’ll spend on quality and we’re probably now comfortable with our numbers.

Last edited:
If Newcastle do eventually win a trophy they will have nowhere to keep it.
The last person to have the keys to the trophy room was Joe Harvey and he's been dead for 33 years !!

I wouldn't begrudge their long suffering supporters a trophy to cheer about.

Providing its not won at our direct expense,obviously.

Fucking deluded Geordie on 5 Live saying Howe is the best manager in the PL. Win fuck all in his career, managed Burnley to 8th and 14th, relegated Bournemouth. Top CV

Fucking deluded Geordie on 5 Live saying Howe is the best manager in the PL. Win fuck all in his career, managed Burnley to 8th and 14th, relegated Bournemouth. Top CV
He's not the best in the league but he is a very good manager and nothing you've put in your post proves otherwise.

Howe did an absolutely brilliant job at Bournemouth and the fans of the club love him.

He took over as manager of Bournemouth when he was 31 years old when Bournemouth were 10 points from safety at the bottom of the 4th division and he kept them up, he took over on New Years Eve so a lot of the season had already gone by.

Howe got Bournemouth promoted in his first full season, a season when they had a transfer embargo so couldn’t buy players. In one and a half seasons he’d taken them from 10 points adrift at the botton of the 4th division to promotion. He was spending his own personal money to help keep the club afloat.

Howe took Bournemouth from the 4th division to the Premiership where they stayed for 5 seasons when they were eventually relegated from 3rd bottom of the league. They were relegated by a single point and I’m sure that they would have stayed up if it wasn’t for a failure of goal line technology which missed a goal scored by Sheff United against Villa. Villa would have rightly been relegated if it wasn’t for that failure as Bournemouth had a better goal difference.

So far, he’s been fantastic for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.