Newcastle Thread - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's not the best in the league but he is a very good manager and nothing you've put in your post proves otherwise.

Howe did an absolutely brilliant job at Bournemouth and the fans of the club love him.

He took over as manager of Bournemouth when he was 31 years old when Bournemouth were 10 points from safety at the bottom of the 4th division and he kept them up, he took over on New Years Eve so a lot of the season had already gone by.

Howe got Bournemouth promoted in his first full season, a season when they had a transfer embargo so couldn’t buy players. In one and a half seasons he’d taken them from 10 points adrift at the botton of the 4th division to promotion. He was spending his own personal money to help keep the club afloat.

Howe took Bournemouth from the 4th division to the Premiership where they stayed for 5 seasons when they were eventually relegated from 3rd bottom of the league. They were relegated by a single point and I’m sure that they would have stayed up if it wasn’t for a failure of goal line technology which missed a goal scored by Sheff United against Villa. Villa would have rightly been relegated if it wasn’t for that failure as Bournemouth had a better goal difference.

So far, he’s been fantastic for us.
He has done a very decent job, I agree, but “the best manager in the premier league” is somewhat far-fetched, to put it mildly. PS if you get to the top 4 and help make it harder for the likes of liverpool, united, chelsea, spurs getting into the CL I will welcome it

Last edited:
He has done a very decent job, I agree, but “the best manager in the premier league” is somewhat far-fetched, to put it mildly

He's not the best in the league, clearly. For where we are, he's probably the best that we could have and will hopefully grow as the club does because he deserves it.

I'm quite happy that he's being spoken about in those terms though as it's much better than what we've been through with most of our managers.

He's doing a great job to turn us around. We currently have the 5th best goals for and we've had both of our best forwards out through injury. Our defensive record is even better as we have the joint best number of goals against.

Not bad for a manager that we were told couldn't organise a defence.

They are one to watch. Decent team, good manager, play good football, and could finish top 4 this season, hopefully at the dippers expense

I don't think we can finish top 4 this season, yet. I think we'll have a much better idea after the next 3 games. Man U away next Sunday, Everton at home the next Wednesday and then Spurs Away 2 weeks today.

He's not the best in the league, clearly. For where we are, he's probably the best that we could have and will hopefully grow as the club does because he deserves it.

I'm quite happy that he's being spoken about in those terms though as it's much better than what we've been through with most of our managers.

He's doing a great job to turn us around. We currently have the 5th best goals for and we've had both of our best forwards out through injury. Our defensive record is even better as we have the joint best number of goals against.

Not bad for a manager that we were told couldn't organise a defence.
Dan Ashworth was probably your most shrewd signing.

Howe is, as you say, the best that you could have got to progress you up the league and is probably even exceeding your owners’ expectations currently.

The next step will be to see how long they back a manager if you go through a sticky patch. The more time given the better, imho.

Ashworth is really good at his job though and will keep you signing the right players, whoever your manager is.

I don't think we can finish top 4 this season, yet. I think we'll have a much better idea after the next 3 games. Man U away next Sunday, Everton at home the next Wednesday and then Spurs Away 2 weeks today.
How many players will you have going to the World Cup?

I think this is the season where weird things could happen in the new year. I wouldn’t rule you out of the top 4 just yet.

Dan Ashworth was probably your most shrewd signing.

Howe is, as you say, the best that you could have got to progress you up the league and is probably even exceeding your owners’ expectations currently.

The next step will be to see how long they back a manager if you go through a sticky patch. The more time given the better, imho.

Ashworth is really good at his job though and will keep you signing the right players, whoever your manager is.

Ashworth could turn out to be a great acquisition for the club, as could Eales as CEO. I don’t think either have had an impact on the club yet as they’re both still getting their feet under the table. Ashworth did help out in the Summer Transfer Window but he didn’t have a lot of say because we had already identified our targets. It looks like we’re going to step up our presence in Brazil to try and tap that market for good value players and I think we’ll be paying good money for potential. I’m more than happy with that until we can get our academy working.

The club are spending a lot of time talking to the local city council as we work on what we can do to increase our capacity as we could probably get another 30,000 and that’s before we win anything. We’re also doing some work at the training ground to improve it but we’re also working on a brand new state of the art training ground which will bring the academy, women’s team and men’s facilities all within the same facility.

It's probably the most excited that I’ve ever been supporting Newcastle and I started watching us when you won your second league title when you beat us 4-3. I was really young back then so remember more about the occasions than the games as my uncle used to take me because he didn’t have his own kids back then. I think I was his excuse to go.

Ashworth could turn out to be a great acquisition for the club, as could Eales as CEO. I don’t think either have had an impact on the club yet as they’re both still getting their feet under the table. Ashworth did help out in the Summer Transfer Window but he didn’t have a lot of say because we had already identified our targets. It looks like we’re going to step up our presence in Brazil to try and tap that market for good value players and I think we’ll be paying good money for potential. I’m more than happy with that until we can get our academy working.

The club are spending a lot of time talking to the local city council as we work on what we can do to increase our capacity as we could probably get another 30,000 and that’s before we win anything. We’re also doing some work at the training ground to improve it but we’re also working on a brand new state of the art training ground which will bring the academy, women’s team and men’s facilities all within the same facility.

It's probably the most excited that I’ve ever been supporting Newcastle and I started watching us when you won your second league title when you beat us 4-3. I was really young back then so remember more about the occasions than the games as my uncle used to take me because he didn’t have his own kids back then. I think I was his excuse to go.
Lovely story Mick and welcome to how we felt in Autumn 2008. Buckle up for the ride of your lives!

Are you thinking of expanding the Sports Direct Arena aka SJP or looking at a new stadium?

Training facilities are a key part of success, so doing that lays the foundation for life at the top.

How do you think your location will affect who signs for you? Do you think that if you become a regular top 4+ team that players will just come then anyway?

How many players will you have going to the World Cup?

I think this is the season where weird things could happen in the new year. I wouldn’t rule you out of the top 4 just yet.
Off the top of my head we have Bruno playing for Brazil. Trippier will probably go with England and Schar should go with Switzerland.

We have a few others who could go but are unlikely. Joelinton is still uncapped for Brazil, Wilson is good enough to go with England but he's never fit for enough games. Botman could get a call up as he does look good enough but he dropped out of Holland’s last set of under 21 games because he felt that it would be better for his career if he had 2 weeks training with Newcastle while he settles in.

Weird things could happen, I supported us when we went into Christmas 12 points clear at the top of the Premiership so I expect anythign happening to us is more often than not going to be negative rather than positive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.