Newcastle Thread - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if that fat geordie prick is wringing his hands bemoaning the oil money or whether he’s just mopping up after another crafty Sherman?
I'm guessing you're on about 'True Geordie'.

I can't stand the bloke. I remember seeing him a few times and all he did was shout his mouth off and clearly hadn't been at games. He only ever talked about something which had already been mentioned in the press or Match of the Day and he never went into the slightest bit of detail other than that.

Richest club in the world can’t beat Bournemouth at home. Think Eddie will be toast soon as they need to bring in a big name to get better players in.
spent a lot of money as well.
Deluded beyond belief

Only beaten Forest, and draws against Wolves, Brighton, Palace, and now Bournemouth, the last two at home, are probably less than they anticipated.

Watched bits of the game in between watching Burnley game and it looks like teams are patching the bus and taking them very seriously which means it’s going to make it very hard for them

They're finding that a big money takeover doesn't guarantee a quick route to success. I recall us not having the best of starts with our new found wealth. Indeed we dropped into the bottom 3 prior to our Christmas game at Blackburn when Agent Hughes was in charge that first season after the takeover. It took us 3 seasons, a new manager and significant improvements in players before we won a trophy. They may well get there eventually but in the meantime welcome to the real world Geordie Lads.

This is the form table for 2022, in that time we've played 22 league games which covers every team at least once apart from two of the promoted clubs, we've played you twice.

It's a shame that we never seem able to get Wilson match sharp. He comes back and regains his fitness but never seems able to get his match sharpness. He's our best goal scorer and has only played 5 times in this games connected with the information below, not all of those have been full games and he's scored 4 goals in those games and forced another because he would have scored against Arsenal if White hadn't diverted the ball into the goal with Wilson right behind him and less than a yard off the line.

View attachment 53915
That is very insightful. Looks like a City in the making if they could get a cutting edge and some consistency...

Last edited:
Watched bits of the game in between watching Burnley game and it looks like teams are patching the bus and taking them very seriously which means it’s going to make it very hard for them

That's definitely happening to us. We've gone from having virtually no possession and playing on the break to dominating possession and we're struggling to create good openings when teams do to us what we used to do and sit back. We have a decent starting 11 when everybody is fit, move away from that and we struggle.

Our bench on Saturday was Botman, Lascelles, Ritchie, Lewis, Karius, Manquillo, Wood, Murphy and Longstaff. That’s 5 defenders, a keeper, Ritchie who was played more as a defender over the last 2 or 3 seasons, a forward, a winger and a midfielder.

Botman didn’t start for some reason, he should have because he’s much better than Dan Burn in every aspect of his game, Burn played Bournemouth onside to get their goal because he’s a ball watcher.

Against Bournemouth we had our best technical player(Bruno) only playing 72 minutes because he’s coming back from injury and he clearly wasn’t 100% fit. We’re also without Wilson and Saint-Maximin who are both potential game changers. I’m no fan of Shelvey but he still adds something, especially if he’s coming off the bench. We still came close to winning the game as we his the post twice and their keeper made some fantastic saves.

We didn’t have a clue what to do and we kept playing the same balls, unsurprisingly the outcome was the same. We must have some really thick footballers if they can’t work out that what they are doing isn’t working.

Hopefully we’ll have Wilson back for Fulham, Bruno is away on international duty so will get some more minutes so will come back match fit. It’s not known whether Saint-Maximin is going to be fit for Fulham and we’ll not know that until the team is named on the day as Howe keeps team selection to himself.

I still think we’ll finish the season in a better position than last season, Howe has changed our style of play massively and it was never going to click on day one of this season, he has them playing much better than I expected at this stage, even if the results haven’t been great. He’s clearly a good coach because most of our players have improved under him, some massively.

We need to spend wisely, go for quality over quantity, spend all of our money in the next couple of windows on single players who can change games. We need players who can split defences and we need pace.

My starting 11 would be Pope, Trippier, Targett, Schar, Botman, Bruno, Joelinton, Willock, Saint-Maximin, Isak and Wilson.

I would look to replace Willock first and get him on the bench. After that we need to upgrade Schar then probably Trippier because of his age. Targett will need replacing as he’s reliable but lacks pace, maybe Lewis can stay fit and put pressure on Targett as Lewis has a good performance in him, even if he doesn’t show it too often, mainly because he always seems to be coming back from an injury. Wilson will also need to be replaced sooner rather than later, he's getting on and he's injury prone which is a shame because when fit, he's a very good footballer who can score goals out of nothing.

Anyway, I'm more than happy with the progress that we're making as a club and a team, everything is going in the right direction and we don't seem to make many mistakes at club level, if any.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.