Newcastle United (A) | PL | Post Match Thread

Don't think it's just a case of Gundo being one of "Pep's pets".
Gundo is obviously more experienced than Phil, but he is also more accustomed to keeping the ball and better defensively.
Both KDB and Phil try to create something special or magical.
Unfortunately, Pep will seldom if ever play KDB and Phil together in midfield, with Rodri injured.
Pep doesn't have the same faith in Kova to be the only defensive midfielder, as he did with Rodri...
Phil/ Kev and Stonesy for me!

Bottom line is if you don't win the ball back quickly and often enough on the deck AND in the air we won't be dominating games like we do when Rodders is there

Thing is, proper quandary now for Pep, as he won’t start both Kev and Phil in midfield, no chance without Rodders. He didn’t even like starting them together in midfield when Rodders was available!

But Savio is our best winger, imo, but needs to play on the right, which is where Pep needs to play Phil if he’s going to accommodate both Phil and Kev in the starting line up.

Pep might even have to be brave enough to properly play a 3-2-4-1 where instead of an inverted fullback it’s actually a double pivot in front of a 3.

We could then for example try to play:

Eddie

Akanji
Dias
Gvardiol

Kova
Bernie

Savio
Phil
Kev
Jack

Erl

I’d be interested to see it given a whirl, certainly against lesser opposition. No chance he’d play that against a top 6 side.

Really hope sentiment doesn't hinder Pep this season which must be very hard when there is so much respect and trust the game can catch even the best out. Bernardo is included in this also in my eyes potentially too.

Seeing Cole Palmer and Morgan Rodgers at Villa these guys are fresh, ultra hungry and quick as fuk. Also were Blues. Random link I know just throwing it out there.

Explain where he fits in midfield.

When Kevs fit Kev will play

When Gundo is fit Gundo will play

When Kovacic is fit Kova will play due to Rodri injury and Kovacic is our only recognised 6.

Foden played last season since we had no Gundo so we could play a midfield of Foden and Kev when Kev returned. But Gundo is here this season.

I’d like to be proved wrong, as Foden is one of our best players. But I just don’t see Pep dropping none of Gundo or Kev for Phil in midfield, maybe out wide
I'd drop Gundo in a heartbeat. He's been God awful. How can you possibly propose him playing over Foden?? News flash, Foden and KDB was our best combination in our final stretch to the title.

Really hope sentiment doesn't hinder Pep this season which must be very hard when there is so much respect and trust the game can catch even the best out. Bernardo is included in this also in my eyes potentially too.

Seeing Cole Palmer and Morgan Rodgers at Villa these guys are fresh, ultra hungry and quick as fuk. Also were Blues. Random link I know just throwing it out there.
Yeah, tough watching Cole, felt like we got decent money for him however I always thought it was more to do with Pep not wanting to bring another talent thought whilst he was still nurturing Phil. Got to say Cole is right up there and I’d have loved to see the pair of them together.

I also fully agree about the sentiment bit too, he’s trying to get Gundo back up to speed but you could see yesterday that we can only have one of them in the team, just too slow. He needs to bench Gundo for now and use him sparingly for 30/4% mins here and there.

I'd drop Gundo in a heartbeat. He's been God awful. How can you possibly propose him playing over Foden?? News flash, Foden and KDB was our best combination in our final stretch to the title.
we dropped the LW to get it that combo though, think on the west ham game they actually both started as 8s with wingers.

might need another shuffle of formation to get them all in,

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.