Newcastle United (A) - Post-Match Thread

Ederson didnt deliberately bring him down.....he was sliding out and once sliding NOONE can stop instantly.....Ederson tries to pull out but now way he can and they hit each other.......the Newcastle player wasnt within a few yds of the ball and Cancello is in complete control of the situation..>Even if Ederson didnt hit him, the Newcaslte player wouldnt have got anywhere near it.....

Complete non-incident.
That is more or less what I said, but if it had been a foul Canelo having control of the ball has nothing to do with it, which is what seemed to be discussed, rather that it just not being a foul.

That is more or less what I said, but if it had been a foul Canelo having control of the ball has nothing to do with it, which is what seemed to be discussed, rather that it just not being a foul.
I think you need to look at the whole situation and not just the isolated incident. (ie the coming together of the two players)......
If Cancello hadnt been there and the Newcaslte player was going for the ball then yes it would possiibly have been a penalty (but then again Ederson wouldnt have tried to stop and probably wuld have gone with his arms outstretched as well and may well have got the ball or a hand on it....so its all ifs and buts

I think there was only ever one decision looking at the whole of the incidence and it was the one that was given...ie no penalty...the Newcastle player wouldnt have got the ball either way potentially.

The penalty incident is obviously getting alot of debate, Personally I think it's a penalty. If that was the other way around I'd be livid if that was given against us. I can see peoples point of view that Cancelo was in control of the ball and Fraser would never of got their before him. Ederson does bring him down and I think we got away with one their. Then again, Many occasions this season we didn't get a penalty that clearly was, I'm sure over the next few weeks we will have a blatant penalty going against us.

It's not a disgraceful decision: Cancelo had the ball. Ederson's contact with Fraser is off the ball and unintentional.
A foul off the ball is still a foul.
Intention does not determine whether it is a foul or not but does affect the punishment. E.g. a genuine attempt to get the ball means you can't be sent off for a professional foul, even if a foul is given.
My bet is that the ref decided it was not a foul but a 50/50 coming together and that Cancelo having the ball was not relevant.
Of course we will never know but we should.

Cruise control yet again, and I agree with Pep when he says we were poor in that first half. Second half we stepped it up and were worthy winners. Great strike from Cancelo, the best right back in the league, I wouldn't swap Alexander Arnold for him, not a chance

A foul off the ball is still a foul.
Intention does not determine whether it is a foul or not but does affect the punishment. E.g. a genuine attempt to get the ball means you can't be sent off for a professional foul, even if a foul is given.
My bet is that the ref decided it was not a foul but a 50/50 coming together and that Cancelo having the ball was not relevant.
Of course we will never know but we should.
It was a penalty
But it’s about time we got one in our favour

Sloppy first half performance, an awful lot of stray passes and balls just hit into the defender, they all seemed half asleep. Much better in the second half with good movement on and off the ball. I do think we were a little lucky with the so called penalty decision but had it been their goalkeeper on Sterling it wouldn't have been given. A week off now, hopefully everyone back fully fit and hungry for the second half of the season.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.