Newcastle United (A) | Post Match thread

First half was probably one of the worst ones we played in recent years. The amount of chances we conceded was shocking compared to our usual standard. In terms of xG, the amount of expected goals we had against us in that half is what we normally concede in 4 full games on average, with other words almost 8 times as bad defensively as we normally perform, stats wise. Cant remember a single time since Pep took over we conceded that many chances in one half alone, at least not in a PL game. Stats obviously doesnt tell the full story, but when you play that bad for half the game, its hard to win. Much better second half, but unfortunately that shocking first half made the task to big today.

I love Foden and he is one of my favorite players in this team, but he was poor today and for the 2nd straight game he for some unexplainable reason refused to pass Haaland for an easy goal. Last game it didnt hurt us, this game it did. Expect more from him going forward, and I'm sure he will perform better. Because if he doesnt, he will soon be on the bench.

No need to say Pep got our tactics completely wrong in the first half, but he showed why he is a world class manager in the 2nd with tweaks to our tactics which made us take over the game. Why he refused to make any subs, at least in the last 10-15 minutes, I have no idea. Only logical reason must be that our players on the bench are either injuried or not good enough to make an impact when chasing a goal. Hopefully its the former, that would at least be a problem thats not a long term one.
All things considered it was a bad day at the office. But I would rather come back from being 3-1 down, than the other way around. Newcastle away is not an easy fixture and a draw is not a terrible result. And with a little bit of luck we could even have gone home with all 3 points.

Hopefully we will just send the EDS to Barcelona since the last thing we need is another fixture ahead of Palace next weekend. Why we complain all year about it being to many fixtures and then schedule a charity one in the middle of the season, I dont know. Seems like this one could easily have been scheduled after last season, during preseason, or even during the World Cup break. If the club wants to help this charity, we could also just have donated some money instead of playing a game in the middle of the season when we cant even fill our bench with senior players as it is. Going Gomez over Cucurella saved us pretty much, donate some of that money and focus on Palace instead. I know it wont happen, I'm just a little annoyed about it. Hopefully it wont have any impact on our performance in the upcoming fixtures that actually matters.

Don’t people see the problem with Rodri in games like these? When we have the ball with 70-80% possesion in games, he’s loving life. With time on his side and no pressure from the opposition, he could pick out anyone to pass to. But in games like these when they are closing him down, his weaknesses are shown very clearly. His defensive contributions are a problem. That’s always been my view.
Not saying this is on him, but Newcastle just sliced through our midfield today.

A problem? We’ve won back to back league titles and just finished a season with 93 points having also reached the CL and CL semi finals. There isn’t a better play than him in that position right now.

I wonder why Pep didn't change it up. Mahrez, Spider may have made a difference. maybe he felt taking Foden off would've really affected the lad.
I think it was really physical game and maybe that was the reason. I thought they were dirty at times.

Fair play to Newcastle they were class and we managed to get a point and would have won if it wasn't for a wonderful free kick. The challenge by trippier was a red in my opinion but its one of them just on the borderline.

So fkng uneccessary. Defence was shocking. Rodri can’t play against teams with speed. He stands no chance. He’s so slow.
Rodri has been here a while, I think Pep might have noticed that? Bad day at the office, nothing more, don't overreact

I'm still of the opinion slow motion / stop motion should not be able to dictate an officials ability to overturn a call made in real time.

It's funny how others view the same game,and players differently.

Everyone's shit when we're losing and should be subbed off.
The vast majority of the comments are typical fans immediate reactions and aren't to be taken seriously.
Some of the hysteria is amusing though.
Why people sit in the match day thread rather than sit n watch the game baffles me

Cup final for Newcastle today. They won’t play like that in the first half again this season. Very good result today for us considering we went 3-1 down.
We have won four of the last five league titles and will be everybody's cup final.
I'll reserve judgement on today until I see what Newcastle do over the next couple of months. They were fighting relegation last season but had a good transfer window. I'm certainly not convinced they'll take a lot of points off top clubs though as their defence looks a bit open.

i haven’t read the thread but Haaland has changed us, a year ago we would not have won this game. We didn’t have a player that we could turn too. The team will see this as we go on with the season and start picking him out. The way he draws space for the team and then a finish like today. A point gained and remember we take 2 months to get into gear and if this is where we are now we are in for a ride…
I love that fact he looks so disinterested and then bam he bursts into space. It's almost as if he saves his energy for those quick bursts of pace. That something different he''ll haver to change getting used to operating in small spaces. He's deadly, he could've easily had a hat trick.

I'll take that

Pope played well should be England number 1.

Newcastle were never going to keep up that work rate.

Fair play to Newcastle play well, City looked abit lost and confused. But City began to get it together from about the hour mark.
Not to sure about or defence at times lol.

After Newcastles 3rd I dont remember them get another shot, but still looked dangerous with their pace.
Once we got it together at the hour, like you say, we created a lot of good quality chances, enough to get the three goals needed for the win. That is a big positive from today, matches are won over 90 minutes and the Geordies were time wasting for a reason, they knew only one team was going to win it in the end.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.