Newcastle United (A) | Post Match thread

Never seen Pep’s tactics failing so badly ever. Walker is probably the least technically gifted player in the entire squad and Pep play him inverted, allowing potenitally the best counter attacking winger in the league acres of space. All three goals happened through St.Maximin racing down the left side. I’ll take a point, after being 3-1 down, but feel we could easily have won it
It worked against West Ham but they were so much more passive. I didn’t think he would employ that tactic today because of their threat through ASM, I really think it is a time and a place.

What was a worry as well (and possibly because he was so far out of the right starting position) he seemed to struggle to match ASM repeatedly and once versus Willock. Hopefully not an indication of a decline in his pace but a concern.

I thought the way ASM started should have seen a more traditional close marking starting position.

I think there was clearly and obviously not excessive force used and it was the right decision all round.
I agree, it was refreshing to see the ref change his mind about it. The decision didn't really affect the outcome of the game and I've come away feeling that another 10mins and we win it, but were ripped apart in midfield and down our right hand side in the first half, so on balance a very fair result. On to Palace, who might not have the intensity Newcastle have, but they are very compact, play on the counter and have proved a thorn in our side the past couple of seasons.

Studs to the knee should have been a clear red. We were poor in the first half and deserved to be be down. 2 points dropped in my opinion. I hope Pep has a think about his inverted fullbacks as that clearly doesn't work against a team with 2 out and out wingers.

I thought we were too casual with our passing today. Our supreme confidence can sometimes get the better of us. Example was Stonesy chipping the ball into the middle of the park and they picked it off and put us under pressure. We need to stop taking the piss and get back to our precise passing game. It only takes one bad pass to get us rocking for a few mins.

Newcastle got a deserved draw. From minute one they played like the team with something to prove, & we just continued at our comfortable early season pace.

It was evident very early that Newcastle were targeting Rodri by closing him down & giving him zero time on the ball. They were also targeting the space Walker leaves in behind when he plays centrally.

With St Maximin driving into that space, Joelinton kept bombing down the right to give St Maximin the choice of playing the ball back out to the wing, or driving inside, & we just never dealt with this tactic & it kept causing us a whole heap of problems.

They eventually scored by closing down a dawdling Rodri & playing the ball into our vacated right back space, & this is how their first two goals originated.

In my opinion Rodri was to blame for their first two goals, as he keeps having lapses of thinking he's got all the time in the world when on the ball.

TWICE he waited for passes to come to him instead of advancing to meet the ball & twice a Newcastle player nipped in & took the ball off his toes which put us under heavy pressure.

At times we looked in disarray defensively, & just like Chelsea with Leeds earlier, we struggled to pick up the pace & match the opposition's intensity.

You could see this match meant everything to the Geordies, but we approached it like a standard PL game & it wasn't until after Trippier's free kick midway through the second half that we started to match their intensity & it was only then our extra quality told.

We scored the two goals to equalise & it became evident Newcastle were gonna be happy with a draw & were playing us on the counter & taking few defensive risks, unlike in the first.

When Rodri FINALLY upped his intensity, we began to tick & then it clicked & Newcastle were firmly of the mind of what we have, we hold.

I've no issues with the straight red being rescinded, as I was surprised when the card was shown. A yellow was the correct call.

I had a feeling of foreboding about this match, ESPECIALLY as the media kept playing up the "Almiron" comment from Grealish at the end of the season. I'd suggest that was the reason he wasn't in the squad & not because of a knock he received last weekend.

I reckon the Grealish comment & Newcastle wanting to test where they really are as a football team were the primary reasons why they played like this was a title or relegation decider.

Haaland played his best game for us today, by dropping deeper to add to our midfield numbers which created spaces where their central defence didn't know whether to advance to track him, or to drop off & leave the defensive midfielders to drop deep to cover him. Either way, he kept creating spaces for us to play in & was more involved in the game.

Overall it was our failure to raise our tempo to match Newcastle's until it was too late & Rodri's fuckin dawdling on the ball which ultimately cost us today. On reflection we got what we deserved, but at least we didn't drop all three points which was a distinct possibility based on our first half display.

Hopefully this is the wakeup call we needed to know we have to fight fire with fire for the whole game, or in the PL there's a good chance it will cost us. Gutted to lose two valuable points, but relieved to get one. :-|

Roll on Wednesday...
Nope. Way too long......

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.