Newcastle United (A) | Post Match thread

I enjoyed the game today even though we drew. It was almost worth going 3-1 down for the buzz in the away end when we got it back to 3-3. After that I thought we would go on to win it, with plenty of time left to get another goal. Overall a draw was probably a fair result.

We looked a bit all over defensively at times, particularly in the first half. But I still think we look like the best team in PL.

Walker could most definitely not cope with his speed. He was running in his vapour trail most of the game. Walker's pace looked like a distant memory for much of the game.
ASM had the revs & two metres on Walker who was always chasing after ASM on the wings, from a standing start in central midfield.

It was evident this was their target, because Joelinton kept going out wide giving ASM the option of a pass out to the wings, or to drive in on our Centre Backs. He did both with chasing & retreating defenders, which is why ASM caused such havok.

We should have reverted to a traditional back four, with Walker & Cancelo providing overlaps. We should have changed tactics as soon as it became clearly apparent the spaces the fullbacks left because they were inverted, were being exploited.

The evidence was clear & it wasn't Walker's fault. He was acting under Pep's orders.

Excellent fightback and a shame we couldn't find a winner but we were under the cosh for a good 50 mins and out of it at 3-1. Yet again a couple of chances at 1-0 where Haaland was free for a pass but ignored. Need to try and improve that. He has shown already that he can make something of an imperfect pass, it doesn't need to be as good as it did when we had a false 9. That Pope save to tip Haaland's shot onto the post... amazing but gutting as his skill to make space and then the shot were phenomenal on his "weaker" foot.

One of those days where their forwards were bang on it and our defence wasn't unfortunately. We needed to dig in and keep the ball a bit better and absorb the pressure but made it very easy for them to play down our right where Walker just couldn't deal with it today.

Just when we thought it was going to be a stroll this season.......

The defence was all over the place for 25 minutes of the first half, and we couldn't get a hold on the ball.
Was sceptical after West Ham about Walker playing in midfield even though he was grand that day, but he was a big problem today. He just isn't comfortable enough on the ball to play there, he's a defender and a very good one who relies on pace and strength.

Rodri wasn't his usual self either today.

At 56 minutes i'd happily have taken a draw, but we had enough chances in that last half hour to win 6-3

This season will be an eye-opener for many big clubs who think they just turn up and have the points without much fight, the so-called smaller teams are getting better at home and worked out that some bigger teams with so-called superstars don't like a fight, the respect is earned, and you have to face them up first and show them you are not going to back down, then the quality shows through.

Manchester city are the champions elite of England, you think we don't have a belly for a fight ? We have had to learn that everybody wants a bit of you, and this season is no different,

very big point after falling apart at 3.1 down, not many will come back like city did today, but I feel pep and city feel deep down we should have won the game, but settle for the point after a crazy start and a very good Newcastle team

Just when we thought it was going to be a stroll this season.......

The defence was all over the place for 25 minutes of the first half, and we couldn't get a hold on the ball.
Was sceptical after West Ham about Walker playing in midfield even though he was grand that day, but he was a big problem today. He just isn't comfortable enough on the ball to play there, he's a defender and a very good one who relies on pace and strength.

Rodri wasn't his usual self either today.

At 56 minutes i'd happily have taken a draw, but we had enough chances in that last half hour to win 6-3
The two fullbacks play inside when we have the ball, then revert to their normal positions when we lose it. The trouble today, was we gave the ball away in positions we shouldn't. To be fair to Newcastle, they forced us into those situations. It was hard for both fullbacks to recover quickly enough, when we lost the ball.

Not the ideal result but it proves we can fight back when needed.

I only hope this is a sign Newcastle are improving, and they play with the same intensity against other top 6 sides……..my concern is that it was only a flash in the pan in an attempt to win that most coveted of trophies the ‘We beat Man City’ cup…….

My heart tells me it’s the former………my head insists it’s the latter

Chelsea played away at a team who were outstanding and they got smashed 3-0z
We played away at a team who were outstanding and we got a 3-3 draw.
Proper team and proper character
There are many in the spoiled category that simply doesn’t want to understand you vsn have these kind of performances from opponents.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.