Newcastle United (A) | Post Match thread

Well that was a superb game if you were a neutral. However, I'm not a neutral!

One thing that really annoys me now is that passing right back to our defence from the kick off. They had a corner in under a minute as our passing was off and none of them expected the ball. I knew from that moment it was going to be a hard game. That lack of concentration showed they weren't expecting the game we got. Luckily we went ahead but after that, for the next fifty minutes it was all Newcastle.

It's no secret that Saint-Maximim is rapid and it's no secret that our defence is terrified of pace. In fact, fast forwards who press are our kryptonite. Walker was constantly out of position and racing back for his life. I honestly was expecting him to give away a penalty as he was having to twist and turn all the time. What I couldn't understand was that every attack came down both flanks and Pep did nothing to counter it. Pep just doesn't seem to have any answer to the old "fast forwards who press" tactic.

Stones stunk the place out too on that side. Why on earth he decided to take out Saint-Maximim right in front of our goal was a mystery, it's not like he has an end product - let him shoot! It must have been Saint-Maximims easiest game - he had the run of that right hand side. It does worry me that Stones had a shocker as when he's off form, he's useless. I hope he's not having another down spell as we need him on top form - if him and Dias are on top form, we win the league.

I don't know why but when Newcastle upped a gear, none of our players did. Our midfield just kind of disappeared. Under the press, our passes were sloppy. I find it very frustrating that we just allowed them to do what they wanted without any response from us. Once we got the second goal, it finally kick started us, but why did we wait so long? When they were on top, why not switch to a back 4 just to make us a bit more solid and grind them down a bit? Do something!!

Haaland is a strange one though - he looks phenomenal when he has the ball, but doesn't seem to get the ball much! I honestly think this is down to the team playing with no forward for so long, but he should've had 2 - why didn't Foden play him in?! Just bizarre!

When we got going though, we were brilliant and there was only one team who was going to win that game. No wonder they were celebrating the World Cup at the final whistle. However, this was a game we should've won.

A note on the ref - he was awful for both sides. Too eager with the yellows one minute then allowing shirt pulling the next. As for the Trippier incident, I've seen them given. I despise VAR and this was another example of it spoiling the game. What's the point of him sending him off then checking it? He might as well of just asked VAR first FFS. One thing that I hate though is the fact that Trippier just decided to take him out - he made no effort to get the ball. I wish refs would send players off for that type of tackle and shirt pulling.

As for Newcastle, Howe has proven to be pretty shrewd in the transfer market and they clearly enjoy playing for him. I think at the end of the season, a point there will be a good point. They will make it difficult for a lot of teams and Liverpool won't fancy a trip up there. I expect they will be pushing for a top 6 spot this season easily.

I don't know if I'm being harsh, but we were great after the 2nd goal went in. It's the bit before that that I'm more disappointed with. On one hand, I feel I've been a bit too critical but drawing away at a difficult ground is still a good result. I think it's more the manner that we let them boss so much of the game which bothers me.

I’m a sheep for questioning the sub policy as countless others here have done? That’s rich mate. Seems like you’re the sheep for never questioning anything, and Pep is your shepherd. He’s a brilliant manager but I’ll continue to bang on about subs, Europe, or anything else that strikes me.

In the meantime your bird is eating those Mars bars out of my arse.

You got to be on the gear, surely?

The Mars bar comment. Pmpl.

Very enjoyable game. I thought we sport washed really well early on, in particular Gundogan’s early sport washing. But Newcastle fought back with some fantastic sport washing themselves to take the lead.

The thing to take from this game though is grit and determination of the players to sport wash to the end and get the draw.

Probably a fair result as both teams equally sports washed.

Source: Miguel Delaney, Jonathan Wilson, Barney Ronay

Just seen the goals now, my first thought for their first was surely that's interfering with play plus a close handball call. The trippier red, hmmm, not a straight red but then again he's off the ground so not in control? Enough to overturn the original decision? Not sure.

Other than that, in these early days of the season and with so many new additions, I suppose a draw isn't the worst result and our fightback shows we have the appetite for it again this season. Haaland is just getting his stride too.

I get the Barca friendly is for a good cause and a mate of our management team, but I really wish we were not messing up our schedule to go over there and do a favour for a club trying to publicly tap up one of our players. Maybe it will work out well for us, but any injuries and it'll be a sore point for weeks.

This was not Ederson’s best match. He was positioned poorly on Trippier’s goal and should have had a better effort for Wilson’s.
I love Ederson as he trier, and the players seem to like him. Good for the team, can pass a ball, although i think the ability to chip a ball to an advanced full back to chest down is overrated... his shot stopping % i imagine is fairly low - good job we usually have most of the ball, particularly at home...seems harsh but for a top class keeper, when the opposition attack i instantly think goal here...used to be so confident with Corrigan, until shoulder injury hampered him and have the same feelings now as i had at big Joe's last season or two

You got to be on the gear, surely?

The Mars bar comment. Pmpl.
Not in many years mate.

If I could just do a night perhaps I would. But one hit and three days later I’m blowing Russell Brand in an alleyway in Croydon. Not good.

Still say some fresh legs could’ve won us the game tho.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.