Newcastle United (A) | Post Match thread

Walker looked shot, for the first time ever he started to look his age, hopefully just a bad game but also maybe a sign his pace is going and if that's the case we need to worry.
The tactics yesterday did him no favours at all that’s for certain, but there were signs last season Kyle’s physical excellence had dipped just slightly, that “B of the bang” has gone slightly, or his reflex’s, that ‘snap’, if you want it in simpler terms, his powers of recovery and recuperation are not what they were, people with a sports/science background will see these things too, it’s to be expected.

That’s not a slight on the lad either, he still remains one of the most outstanding athletes I’ve ever seen in my life and he’ll still have quite a few years ahead of him at top level if the decline remains steady and gradual, we as a club just have to manage what we ask of him a bit better.

Stones' sending off vs Villa after a VAR review

Was this any different to Trippier's?
Yes, quite a lot of differences between them. And I still don’t think Stones’ was a red card neither but there was far more force in his than Trippier’s.

The tactics yesterday did him no favours at all that’s for certain, but there were signs last season Kyle’s physical excellence had dipped just slightly, that “B of the bang” has gone slightly, or his reflex’s, that ‘snap’, if you want it in simpler terms, his powers of recovery and recuperation are not what they were, people with a sports/science background will see these things too, it’s to be expected.

That’s not a slight on the lad either, he still remains one of the most outstanding athletes I’ve ever seen in my life and he’ll still have quite a few years ahead of him at top level if the decline remains steady and gradual, we as a club just have to manage what we ask of him a bit better.
He has been a huge player for us and I am sure he still has a lot more to give.

If Walker loses his pace, his demise could happen more quickly than people think. I’ll put it down to early season lack of sharpness but it wasn’t only St. Maximin who outran him yesterday. We won’t face that kind of intensity every week though.

Most of our players are not up to full fitness yet! If you listen to the pro’s they say 5/6 games into the season is when they found there full fitness stamina

If Walker loses his pace, his demise could happen more quickly than people think. I’ll put it down to early season lack of sharpness but it wasn’t only St. Maximin who outran him yesterday. We won’t face that kind of intensity every week though.
It was definitely that. Our lack of pre-season showed massively yesterday. The first two games were played in 32°C heat and the games were at a snail’s pace, yesterday it was 100mph and we looked well off it for an hour until Newcastle tired themselves (probably for the same reason as us) and when the game slowed down we looked alright again.

Walker isn't a football player. He's a defender, likes his one v one's in a race, wins his tackles, likes a battle.
Him inverted in the midfield trying to do the Rodri role is like watching Alan Kernaghan taking the ball off Ikie Immel and his tits falling out.
Please pep,I know you've won a couple of things but Kyle ain't a baller.
Never thought i would see Walker being compared to that world class defender Kernaghan.

Set aside the question of the late red (or not) for a second.
First fifteen minutes. Ref makes a good decision on Guimaraes, letting him know that he can't scythe down players with impunity without even pretending to play the ball. That it was his first offence was neither here nor there — I'm astonished that the player disputed it. Yellow card — correct (incidentally, if the ref had had the balls to do that with Atlético Madrid right from the off, it would have made it a much better match). Guimaraes has clearly learnt no lesson because he then proceeds to scythe down Foden five minutes later. Puzzlingly, the ref doesn't issue a second yellow card. There is no logic to it, other than the fact that he's already received one. So what? Should be a second yellow, therefore red, therefore Guimaraes off. Furthermore, because he gets away with it, stone me if Joelinton doesn't proceed to wipe out Gundogan immediately after! It was, again, a clear yellow.
As Souness would say, it's a man's game, and I'm all in favour of hard tackling. But those three tackles did not even pretend to go for the ball. They were just designed to leave a foot on City players.
Edit: Schär on Foden. He's last man. Foden's away. No attempt to get the ball, no chance of getting it. Why isn't that a red instead of a yellow?

Last edited:
Law 12: FOULS AND MISCONDUCT

SERIOUS FOUL PLAY

A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play.

Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force or endangers the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play.

VIOLENT CONDUCT

Violent conduct is when a player uses or attempts to use excessive force or brutality against an opponent when not challenging for the ball, or against a team-mate, team official, match official, spectator or any other person, regardless of whether contact is made.

In addition, a player who, when not challenging for the ball, deliberately strikes an opponent or any other person on the head or face with the hand or arm, is guilty of violent conduct unless the force used was negligible.

Violent conduct is when a player uses or attempts to use excessive force or brutality against an opponent when not challenging for the ball.

Trippier attempted to use excessive force when not challenging for the ball.
Made no attempt to get the ball.
Only aim was to stop KDB.
Knee height brutality.
RED CARD
yeah agreed, he made no attempt at the ball, was late and "out of control", I always thought thought that 1 or 2 of those are a red, but all 3 its a definite red. If it happened against us I would be biased and complain but to overturn it is just preposterous

That’s three times in the last five games, we’ve come back from two goals down to get something from the game. Suppose you could look at that as a positive or a negative. I’m looking on the bright side because I’m struggling to remember the last time anybody took a game to us like that. And while some of the defending was a bit disappointing, it took great character to get back in the game and have Newcastle hanging on for a point in the end. If they can keep that level up, there’s going to be some pretty decent sides more than happy to come away from Newcastle with a point this season.

Won’t be easy next week but if we can beat Palace, 10/12 points will be very satisfactory for a team of slow starters.

Trippier should have been sent off. He only wanted to trip De Bruyne up and bring him down but he was out of control and the consequences could have been severe. It's no different to a player trying to win the ball and failing to do so and then catching a player's ankle or knee. That would be a red, what they were trying to do was irrelevant, what they actually did and how they did it is the critical point.

For the other cynical challenges that could have led to more bookings, I felt like the ref tried to let the game go on and we got away with a couple. I think Rodri did a similar challenge to Bruno not long after but got away without a booking. Either way a draw was a fair result, they'll be a tough team to beat at home this season.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.