Newcastle United (A) | Post Match thread

I turned off the 5 Live commentary because the bias was so evident. Switched over to Alistair Mann and Michael Brown. Not wild about Mann as a commentator, to be honest, but his natural bias is tempered by Brown, and they do both make an effort to be objective, and give credit where credit's due on both sides. The open bias in favour of Newcastle on the BBC just sickened me in the end.
I think you're right about the underdog phenomenon up to a point. Although I seem to remember all rag goals being greeted with yells of triumph on tv and radio during their glory years. Maybe that was just my bitterness imagining it, I don't know. For sure, the whole fucking world and his little dog celebrated the Michael Owen goal in the 255th minute. And it was always “Good old Fergie, he always manages to do it!”. Yes, he always managed to do it by browbeating linos and the ref shamelessly.
I had the (dis)pleasure of listening to Radio Manchester for the commentary. They had Mike Minay and Malcolm Christie. Mike Minay professes to be a blue but always remember a commentary v the Scousers and he greeted one of their goals with 'Oh Yes !!'. Malcolm Christie with no affiliation to City as far as I can see co-commentating was willing the Geordies on at every opportunity. I thought that local radio would have at least a small bias but not Radio Manchester. Very weird. I remember last season being in Derby when we played Leicester away and listened to the match on Radio Leicester - that is how local radio commentary should be, totally biased to he team in their locality.

I think we did fine to take a point from yesterday. My key take-away was the spirit shown at 3-1 to get back in the game. Historically we've lost those games, not playing well and tactical errors.

Newcastle probably played at their absolute maximum too.

The major issue first half was how we ceded control of the match with the inverted full back system. It was allowing us to attack quickly and vertically through their lines, but it also meant there were a lot more turnovers of possession. This then allowed Newcastle to play quickly through us and get ASM one on one, with a lot of runners from midfield/wide areas. It didn't help that Walker, Rodri & Stones weren't at their best and played some awful passes - like when Stones just floated the ball into midfield - not enough conviction.

A large part of our success in the last two seasons has been the control of games.

We did change shape to a more traditional 4-3-3 after the Trippier goal and two good goals to get level. They dropped off significantly and were happy to counter from deep for the rest of the game. Chances were there to win but a point was fine given the circumstances.

However, there's still room for improvement. Foden has twice failed to square for Haaland to tap in now and we need to show more conviction when defending.

One final point - there's a case for us needing to be more 'professional' or sly when dealing with challenges like Trippier, Joelinton & Guimares in the first half. Trippier endangered De Bruyne through the height of the challenge and it was a red card, but KDB getting up and accepting an apology just adds weight to the overturn. Guimares committed a second yellow offence but we just bounced up and got on with it, hence the referee will let them go. Joelinton pulled back and tripped Bernardo out wide and we just got on with it.

Too often we're on the end of tackles and jump straight up, like Foden at Anfield last year. Stay down and make the referee think, unfortunately by getting straight up etc it just lets them off. Pope was happy to sit on the ground and kill the game at 3-3. Every week you'll see teams use these ideas against us, we need to give to back to them.

We normally have a performance like this at the beginning of every season due to lack of match fitness, so coming back from 2 goals down (again) is a positive imo.

We probably did miss Grealish ability to slow down the game, hence the basketball style game.

7 out of 9 points to start is fine, just have to kick on now with a winning run before the World Cup. Palace normally are our bogey team at home but we’re due a big win against them so we’ll put it right on Saturday

Everything positive by them came through Maximo teams will double up and treble up on him now
He wont play that well again this season. He always shows flashes of it, but yesterday he exploited our full back tactics and ripped us to shreds.

Everything positive by them came through Maximo teams will double up and treble up on him now
Agree, but we did ourselves no favours in how we dealt with him. Huge gaps and then letting him drift about willy nilly.

I am not a cynical person.... well only a little bit...but I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that the powers that be in the FA et al have 2 rule books.

The rules of the Football Association for England, Wales, Scotland and N. Ireland.
These rules apply to all clubs with only one exception. Please see the Blue labelled rule book for the other club.

The rules of the Football Association for Manchester City Football Club ONLY.
Including in particular: Even the slightest query MUST ALWAYS be referred to VAR.

Agree, but we did ourselves no favours in how we dealt with him. Huge gaps and then letting him drift about willy nilly.
Not often i criticise Pep but i thought he got it horribly wrong yesterday. Allowing Maximum the freedom he got by playing walker in the position he was just opened the game totally up for them. When Walker did play at RB his head was so gone from trying to play that CM position, he couldn't get near him and just allowed Maximum to completely run the game. We should of known that was the one area they could really hurt us and set up to stop that.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.