Newcastle United (A) | Post Match thread

That’s three times in the last five games, we’ve come back from two goals down to get something from the game. Suppose you could look at that as a positive or a negative. I’m looking on the bright side because I’m struggling to remember the last time anybody took a game to us like that. And while some of the defending was a bit disappointing, it took great character to get back in the game and have Newcastle hanging on for a point in the end. If they can keep that level up, there’s going to be some pretty decent sides more than happy to come away from Newcastle with a point this season.

Won’t be easy next week but if we can beat Palace, 10/12 points will be very satisfactory for a team of slow starters.

It also highlights that we're not quite at it as a defensive unit. West Ham and Newcastle both took it to us. Villa looked to counter. We had a lot of injuries at the end of last season so I wouldn't group those games together. I think we were just off the pace a bit yesterday, it will have been one hell of a workout! But we need to come up with a way of seeing out those periods if we can. Gundogan possibly dropping a bit deeper or just having a spell of possession to calm things down. The Newcastle pressure was relentless and for a good 40 minutes or so we struggled. The character is clear for all to see, we're one hell of a team in terms of our mental bottle. Not quite mentality monsters though.

I was a bit nervous before the game yesterday as the teams' body language walking into St James Park looked somewhat subdued. Moving on, it was evident after 15 minutes that we were not on it. Not to take anything away from Newcastle because they were up for it, organised and hungrier for it than us. Our below par 'team' performance probably gave them the impetus to go for the jugular. Subs could have helped (Phillips and Mahrez poss) and I sometimes wonder if Pep sees things differently than us fans and his stubbornness contradicts his greatness?!!

It also highlights that we're not quite at it as a defensive unit. West Ham and Newcastle both took it to us. Villa looked to counter. We had a lot of injuries at the end of last season so I wouldn't group those games together. I think we were just off the pace a bit yesterday, it will have been one hell of a workout! But we need to come up with a way of seeing out those periods if we can. Gundogan possibly dropping a bit deeper or just having a spell of possession to calm things down. The Newcastle pressure was relentless and for a good 40 minutes or so we struggled. The character is clear for all to see, we're one hell of a team in terms of our mental bottle. Not quite mentality monsters though.

There’s only ONE mentality monsters mate and they’ve got that one league title in a third of a century to prove it.

Most of our players are not up to full fitness yet! If you listen to the pro’s they say 5/6 games into the season is when they found there full fitness stamina
When I used to play my manager always used to say it would take 5/6 weeks into the season before everything is firing on all cylinders.

I was a bit nervous before the game yesterday as the teams' body language walking into St James Park looked somewhat subdued. Moving on, it was evident after 15 minutes that we were not on it. Not to take anything away from Newcastle because they were up for it, organised and hungrier for it than us. Our below par 'team' performance probably gave them the impetus to go for the jugular. Subs could have helped (Phillips and Mahrez poss) and I sometimes wonder if Pep sees things differently than us fans and his stubbornness contradicts his greatness?!!

i think he thinks that the lads have to sort the mess out they have made to a point mate?

Like others have alluded to, the red card was a yellow but was it a clear and obvious error by the referee to justify interference? Possibly, but then how many nasty challenges do our boys suffer and VAR come out with the same shite. Career ending challenges ignored.

For me I'm quite happy with his decision as long as its consistent throughout the season and not dependent on shirt colour.

Thats simply not true imho. On the very few occasions Walker was in the right back position he dealt with St-M fine. He was in CM most the game so when St-M got the ball Walker was 10-20 yards behind him. He has no chance of catching him. Walker and stones’s performances were totally all on Pep today
Disagree. Several times he couldn't make up a short distance on opponents:

Newcastles cup final add into that we was sloppy/cocky in the first half it made it really hard for us. Great character shown after World class free kick went in we bossed the 2nd half and should have come away with the 3 points.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.