Newcastle United (A) | Post Match thread

We really did miss Grealish. His ability to win fouls and slow play down is vital to stopping opponents momentum. He may not pop up with goals and assists but what he does do is slow the game down and help us control the game. He’s also brilliant at retaining possession.
I also think he squares it a lot more than Phil, who sometimes has tunnel vision.

All well and good, but don’t expect them to play like that against every team, we are every teams cup final!
This was only 2 home games ago and no way does this do the team justice.

I asked the question earlier in the thread and didn't get a response.

Has Kyle Walker had a bout of Covid at all? Even the slightest one can (not always does but can) leave a 'residue of fatigue for a loooong time later. I'm not talking Long Covid here just the after effects. I know at least 3 people who had a very mild dose and are still talking a month and more later of feeling extremely tired.

Just a though lads and lassies.
I’ve no idea if he has or hasn’t EB, although I get where you’re coming from as it took me a good while to get over my second bout of Covid, but this is different and shows classic signs of aged related decline in sporting prowess/performance like I’ve mentioned above.
A big sign also last season for me was Kyle going up and down the flanks both defensively and offensively at lung bursting speed, sooo used to him having amazing/elite recuperative/recovery abilities no matter how many times he did it in quick succession, his level barely dropped, then, he did about 3 sprints (6 in total) in one game and he was done.

Have a read up on VO2max and how it affects endurance of athletes when they age EB if you get the time.

Yep we controlled it better second half or maybe Maximo burned himself out bottom line we should of gone on and win after we equalised on the 64th min but still happy with the fight back and draw..

I assume Pep made some adjustments at HT, pity they didn't get effective until the early third goal, but Stones needed to show more composure. Stones needs more game time, hence why he started, and was somewhat unfortunate to have to keep dealing with ASM's pace.

The eternal problem City face is that they play an attacking game and it is susceptible to counter attack. Pep is constantly trying to solve that issue without resorting to having the team sit back more.

It's a trade-off and nothing is perfect but ultimately I feel we win more games this way and lose more but don't actually draw many and end up with more points (that's why Liverpool can lose less but finish behind us) so the formula is a good one.

I am not a cynical person.... well only a little bit...but I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that the powers that be in the FA et al have 2 rule books.

The rules of the Football Association for England, Wales, Scotland and N. Ireland.
These rules apply to all clubs with only one exception. Please see the Blue labelled rule book for the other club.

The rules of the Football Association for Manchester City Football Club ONLY.
Including in particular: Even the slightest query MUST ALWAYS be referred to VAR.
stop it

I go back to something that Rodri said in the changing room before one of the games, in the Champions Again doc - 'Get our rhythm early'. We had the rhythm but we lost our heads and let the game shift to Newcastle's fast pace, something that Bernardo mentioned post-game as well. It's no secret that we are at our worst when on the backfoot with fast players running at us, we need to slow down the pace but we were uncharacteristically panicking on the press and making un-forced errors. It was great work from Newcastle tbf, but it's not something out of the ordinary that we haven't faced before, we just didn't expect it and didn't adjust.

That pass from KDB was INSANE, the run was brilliant as well - what a goal. Overall to comeback from 3-0 away and to have chances to steal a win, we can't complain too much. Just need to make adjustments in training, i think the Haaland threat still makes us rush it a bit too much and Haaland himself gets really mad when he makes the runs and doesn't get the ball. What he will learn is that this is who we are, its part of the process and as a consequence he will actually get a better quality of finishing chance instead of having to run onto through-balls he will have tap-ins.

Walker isn't a football player. He's a defender, likes his one v one's in a race, wins his tackles, likes a battle.
Him inverted in the midfield trying to do the Rodri role is like watching Alan Kernaghan taking the ball off Ikie Immel and his tits falling out.
Please pep,I know you've won a couple of things but Kyle ain't a baller.
Yesterday Kernaghan could have outpaced Walker.

I’ve no idea if he has or hasn’t EB, although I get where you’re coming from as it took me a good while to get over my second bout of Covid, but this is different and shows classic signs of aged related decline in sporting prowess/performance like I’ve mentioned above.
A big sign also last season for me was Kyle going up and down the flanks both defensively and offensively at lung bursting speed, sooo used to him having amazing/elite recuperative/recovery abilities no matter how many times he did it in quick succession, his level barely dropped, then, he did about 3 sprints (6 in total) in one game and he was done.

Have a read up on VO2max and how it affects endurance of athletes when they age EB if you get the time.
Will do thanks Dirty Harry. thanks for your response. Making/finding excuses for our players is a hobby of mine I've decided!! :-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.