Newcastle United (H) | Sat 19th Aug, 20:00 | Pre-Match Thread

Match Result Prediction

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Fucking hell, thank fuck City have got more spirit and bottle than so many of the posters in this thread. We’ve come through a hell of a lot more adversity under Pep than we are facing today, get a fucking grip, seriously. The transfer forum has been a pathetic flap fest for 2 months, this forum has become a depressive’s paradise, and the fucking match day thread is still 11 hours away.
It’s only the truth. Ive not really seen anyone saying we are going to get beat, but they are rightly saying this is going to be a very tough game. I reckon, with the our absentees, transfers out and lack of transfers in at this point, this will be the toughest game we’ll have all season.

No Stones, Silva, de Bruyne, Gundogan and Mahrez for tonight’s game compared to last season is huge.

I would say we haven’t gone into a game so thin on the ground in the Sheikh’s era.

Here was our bench against Chelsea in September 2008:
Schmeichel, Ben-Haim, Garrido, Gelson, Elano, Evans, Sturridge.

Here’s our potential bench for tonight:
Ortega, Carson, Akanji, Lewis, Gómez, Phillips, McAtee, Bobb, Palmer.

If Foden, Kovačić and Grealish all need replacing for tactical reasons, tiredness or an injury tonight, who’s coming on to change the game in attacking midfield?

Newcastle are the hardest team in the league to play against. They have the potential to be our biggest title challenger this season. They’ve got the second best striker in the league and a very good midfield who are all rapid, they get from front-to-back quicker than any team in the league (and that’s what we struggle against most) and a defence that concedes very little.

They’re a better team than Sevilla and they had about five good goalscoring chances the other night.

Again, I’m not saying we won’t win because:

——————Ederson—————-
—————Dias——Aké—————-
Walker——-Rodri——Gvardiol
——————Kovačić——————
————Foden—————Grealish
Álvarez——Håland——————

…is a fantastic XI (although lacks pace with only Walker, Foden and Haaland having any). But it’s going to be a proper tough game… which makes it all the more exciting, I’m well up for it and so will the players be.

Last edited by a moderator:
I keep hearing how good their midfield is.. and with the team we have, it might actually suit our strengths for them to be on the ball a bit more and let us play in transitions... Foden and Haaland might do some serious damage :)

Newcastle will never have a better chance of ending their dismal record of defeats (and the occasional draw) against us. We're bereft of pace and ideas in the attacking third (if I see Jack Grealish receive the ball out wide and then cut back onto his right foot and play the ball backwards one more time, I may have a seizure), our talismanic striker barely touches the ball (not his fault), and we're vulnerable on the counter all the time. If Newcastle play their cards right - as Brentford, Inter and Sevilla all did - and wedge everyone in behind the ball and then counterattack quickly, they'll have a very good chance of winning. If we manage to get a result today against them, with Gunders, Mahrez, Kev, Stones, Ruben, Bernie all either departed or injured, it'll be some achievement. Really need Foden to step up to the plate today, cos on paper he looks like our only real source of impetus
Enjoy your seizure.

Anyone who isn’t more relaxed than ever after last seasons success needs mental help. It’s not healthy to demand constant success.

I keep hearing how good their midfield is.. and with the team we have, it might actually suit our strengths for them to be on the ball a bit more and let us play in transitions... Foden and Haaland might do some serious damage :)
Against both Burnley and Sevilla, Kovačić was trying to put Håland in behind the defence at a more frequent amount than I saw from any of our players last season.

The only thing is, his final balls have been bobbins so far. But at least he is looking to put them either over the top or through the defensive line.

Håland was telling him the other night to put more weight on the passes. So instead of him receiving the ball and trying to knock it past the defender, he’s running onto the ball in space and can be away from the defender by the time he touches the ball. Will be good to see more of that.

What exactly is stonesy out with as I'm just watching the latest inside city episode on the city website and there he is playing table tennis!

Hopefully he'll be back soon.

Enjoy your seizure.

Anyone who isn’t more relaxed than ever after last seasons success needs mental help. It’s not healthy to demand constant success.
Our manager is Josep Guardiola Sala.

He is the living epitome of a human who demands constant success.

If any of our players or fans aren’t up for Guardiola’s demands for constant success, they’re at the wrong club.

It’s only the truth. Ive not really seen anyone saying we are going to get beat, but they are rightly saying this is going to be a very tough game. I reckon, with the our absentees, transfers out and lack of transfers in at this point, this will be the toughest game we’ll have all season.

No Stones, Silva, de Bruyne, Gundogan and Mahrez for tonight’s game compared to last season is huge.

I would say we haven’t gone into a game so thin on the ground in the Sheikh’s era.

Here was our bench against Chelsea in September 2008:
Schmeichel, Ben-Haim, Garrido, Gelson, Elano, Evans, Sturridge.

Here’s our potential bench for tonight:
Ortega, Carson, Akanji, Lewis, Gómez, Phillips, McAtee, Bobb, Palmer.

If Foden, Kovačić and Grealish all need replacing for tactical reasons, tiredness or an injury tonight, who’s coming on to change the game in attacking midfield?

Newcastle are the hardest team in the league to play against. They have the potential to be our biggest title challenger this season. They’ve got the second best striker in the league and a very good midfield who are all rapid, they get from front-to-back quicker than any team in the league (and that’s what we struggle against most) and a defence that concedes very little.

They’re a better team than Sevilla and they had about five good goalscoring chances the other night.

Again, I’m not saying we won’t win because:

——————Ederson—————-
—————Dias——Aké—————-
Walker——-Rodri——Gvardiol
——————Kovačić——————
————Foden—————Grealish
Álvarez——Håland——————

…is a fantastic XI. But it’s going to be a proper tough game… which makes it all the more exciting, I’m well up for it and so will the players be.
Good post.

A few are throwing the abuse for daring to mention the reality of our situation.This game is far from a given and people are only expressing their thoughts on such,they should not be hounded for or insulted for it.

Newcastle are strong,they look fit and organised and after last weeks excellent result.....they have momentum.

Given our injuries,lack of prep/rest.....This game could go either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.