Next Captain

Toure did a lot of talking on the pitch last night, which was just what we needed and it was great to see. I can't remember the last time we had a defender that did so much organising and encouraging. I was leaning towards Barry being captain but I think I have changed my mind after last night.

Toure was always my choice as he had been inspirational at the Arse! I agree Barry would be a good choice too but for me the captain should be both a leader and a talker, plus when your captain is a defender he can also see everything that is happening in the game.

Barry was never going to be captain, he's only just here, he was hardly going to make him captain..and it would have been slightly insulting in my opinion if Barry came in and was just handed captain, when in most places you've to earn it.

bluetonium said:
Leaders all over the park is the key!

Toure is fine with me, Barry or Ireland as vice-captain. Give Toure the task of organising the back four, which will help Micah, Barry the job of ensuring the others know their jobs. Along with Given booming out orders, could be a very talkative team during the match!

I agree there are leaders throughout the team now so the choice of captains
is not as important as the roles they play.
The spine of team are cast iron dependable and the more they play together the
stronger we will become:

given
toure lescott
barry
adebayor

IrishMacca said:
Barry was never going to be captain, he's only just here, he was hardly going to make him captain..and it would have been slightly insulting in my opinion if Barry came in and was just handed captain, when in most places you've to earn it.

You do realise Toure is our new captain who arrived after Barry

IrishMacca said:

I don't think it matters if you are new at a club. If you are a natural leader then you have a good chance of being captain. Toure's a good choice in my opinion.

If i remember correctly I think Kompany was named captain for a couple of game last year and led the team well being courageous and vocal.

GRAHAM mcfc said:
IrishMacca said:

I don't think it matters if you are new at a club. If you are a natural leader then you have a good chance of being captain. Toure's a good choice in my opinion.

If i remember correctly I think Kompany was named captain for a couple of game last year and led the team well being courageous and vocal.

If you're a good leader you're a good leader, I just think that you've to earn the captaincy.
I remember hearing Owen got it at Newcaslte, purely to keep him at the club, and he didn't deserve it, he was, like he still is now, overrated and undeserving of even a starting place, and that was at Newcastle. Owen was given it despite calls from the fans to give it to Given.

I know that if you're leader material, you're leader material, I just think, the players might have thought otherwise. A captain should know there players, should know there club and team, and I think that the armband should be earned, not just handed to, no matter how good of a leader you are. That is just my opinion, I wouldn't have minded too much if Barry got it, I just think that he needs to earn it fully first.

In some teams it's a tactical move and I suppose if Barry got it, it would have been, and in some teams a player earns it like people thought Given had at Newcastle, it mightn't have been the most tactical choice, but it's an honour to hold the captaincy, and I genuinely think that that's an honour that should be earned.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.