Next Captain

BibbyBlue85 said:
bluebarn said:
I agree that in an ideal world the captain would have earned the right to be so over a period, however, when you consider that 8 of our starting 11 last night (excluding SWP as it's his second spell) have been at the club less than a year, and of that 8 5 were signed in the summer, then earning the right has to be secondary to giving it to the best man for the job irrespective of his time at the club.
<BR itxtvisited="1"><BR itxtvisited="1">Abit like when Morrison captained us in Div 2

Correct. If the captain then had been based on longevity then we could have ended up with Edgehill as captain! I actually think that Edgehill, unlike many on here, was a reasonable player, but a captain he wasn't.

Blue Dan said:
Having just watched his interview on the OS, I've gotta say I love the way he says "really".

"I am willy happy to be at Man City."

funnier when he puts emphasis on the importance of the Portsmouth game

"today was a weally important game. but we have a weally, weeeally important game on Sunday."

I think you have to give it to Toure for the time being. He's been the most infuential captain at his previous club. Barry was captain but he didn't seem to influence to the extent that Toure did at Arsenal. Toure's also been around some other very good leaders at Arsenal. Keown and Campbell were the two names he picked out in an interview about defensive partners, and to my knowledge both did sterling jobs of leading, whether given the armband or not.

The fact is our team has been together for so little time that it's impossible to tell who suits or diserves it. The more games they play together the more they'll begin to gel and work around an emerging natural leader; and that will happen, it happens in every area of society, at that point the right choice will be obvious. I have a feeling Toure be that player however i could be wrong.

On the other hand if Toure holds the captaincy for long enough and a different player emerges at the "natural leader" thats enevitably going to cause some upset if its just snatched off him and handed over. Tricky one to call and thats what Hughes has to do. The decision for the time being seems to be Toure and i think thats been made clear already. Lets just hope he does fill the big boots left by Dunne, and nothing need be changed. There's no point handing it around the dressing room until someone does really well.

sorry if posted:

Kolo Toure will continue to wear the captain's armband, Mark Hughes has confirmed.

The news means that the defender will lead the Blues out at home for the first time against his old side Arsenal this Saturday, just a couple of months after swapping the Emirates for the City of Manchester Stadium.

Ivory Coast star Kolo skippered the Blues to wins over Crystal Palace and Portsmouth before the current international break, and he has clearly impressed his new manager.

"Kolo has taken the armband in the last couple of games, and I am very comfortable with that,” stressed the boss.

“There might be times in the season when we might ask people to take on the mantle and show the leadership qualities that a captain has to have, but I am very comfortable with Kolo having the armband.

...Mark Hughes
"There were many candidates, Stevie Ireland really enjoyed doing it in pre-season, I am sure he'll be a City captain in the future and Vinnie Kompany impressed last year. It's pleasing that we have so many characters and personalities that could have taken over the role."

Toure captained the Gunners on several occasions during his seven years in north London, but with the departure of Richard Dunne an opportunity opened up that his new manager sensed he would immediately take to.

"I saw those qualities from afar," added the manager. “It was not until working with him that I really understood how Kolo conducts himself as a guy and as a player. Having worked with him for a couple of months now, I have seen his qualities on and off the field and we can use them for everybody's benefit.

"Our back four is full of strong characters and guys that want to win, and there are times when you need what I am looking for from more than one person. I am pleased that we have that in this squad. That is the big shift compared to the group we had last year and the one we have now."

Just because Kolo is the captain doesn't mean the rest of the "captain" material players on the pitch are going to be different. Barry will still push the other guys on, so will Ireland and a number of other players in the squad, the armband is just the official captain, the squad has many that have those qualities.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.