Next Captain

Re: Zaba for Captian

Britpop95 said:
There are examples where a genuine leader is looked up to and Kompany is probably a very good example but I often wonder whether that piece of cloth on their arm is nothing more than an act of tokenism. Does it really mean that much? Really?

It is a token and I wish the token were put on the arm of, not just a leader, but a leader of leaders. I think we have too few on the pitch who can replicate Kompany's qualities. My renegade Evertonian offspring texted me yesterday when exRag journeyman scored the first - 'The curse of Kompany's absence.' It's clear we hit a different level when Kompany's on the pitch even if he's not playing out of his skin. Take him out and there is a vacuum! Zabaleta seems to be the only one who comes near to grasping the responsibility.

ForzaMancini said:
Yaya couldn't even be arsed clapping the fans today, I love him as a player but at times he comes across as though he really couldn't give a fuck about the results of some games. Certainly shouldn't be anywhere near the captaincy.

Yaya doesn't lead, simple as that. He's okay when not called on and we're in the ascendancy but yesterday we needed someone as near Kompany's influence as you could get and Yaya isn't the one! Not one to on yer shoulder in the trenches!

It goes deeper than just who's going to deputise while VK's out.There's two main issues-squad self-belief and the media's capacity to cause trouble.Even those players who slagged Mancini would never have accused him of not caring. he set high standards and didn't tolerate defensive incompetence or casual attitudes.As time passes, they may come to think of him as a sergeant-major who's cursed every day but stops the enemy taking the trench.
We're now in a transition where Manuel Pellegrini is trying to bring in intelligent new ideas.This contrasts with our rivals where Moyes is Ferguson's proxy and Mourinho's looking to get back in the old routine with his old lags.With VK's leadership lost for what could be vital weeks, it's a shame Zaba was exposed to so much flak yesterday trying to do a positional job for which he's not suited.but, in his proper position, he'll fight all the way and lead by example. Yaya's not temperamentally suited to leadership-he sees himself as a creative type who can win a game with touches of brilliance.
with the media poised to paint Pellegrini as a harmless 'nice guy' and sneer about ''the holistic approach'', it's vital to get the strong-minded players into the heart of the action i.e. Zaba, James Milner, and, among the newbies, I would say Negredo ( who looks well up for it) and Jovetic who showed tremendous character to come back stronger than ever after ruptured cruciate threatened his career.

Milner7 said:
Isn't Micah the actual VC? Anyway Zabaleta should be captain when Kompany is out if not him then Micah.

I forgot about Micah actually - with him being an academy player it makes sense but I think Zaba would motivate the other players more, he just oozes passion.

Dzeko.

Zab will be a leader and an example to others no matter if he has an armband on or not.

Dzeko seems to be the type who craves extra responsibility and the chance to show how valuable he can be. Gaining the captaincy for a couple of games further reinforces the idea that the manager views him as a very important player and forces him to look at the effort and actions he takes on the pitch such as appealing for every foul in the world ever making the legit fouls much less likely to be blown. Give him some extra responsibility, see how he fares. Nothing to lose.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.