Next Captain

1.618034 said:
Corky said:

He would be my pick too, but is there any talk or sign of it yet, or will that come just before the season starts..?

Ireland's a great choice during the summer though due to his attitude and he's not a bad shout longer term but he's still too young IMO and needs to concentrate on his game for now.

i think ireland would be a shit captain , just becasue hes amazing dosent mean he can lead the team , hes too quiet , barry or toure, maybe even given

Ireland isn't ready for the captaincy, as he's only 22 and doesn't need the distraction from his own game which is coming on brilliantly. You can almost guarantee Dunne won't be captain next season, I imagine it'll be Barry although I'm apprehensive about giving the captaincy to someone who has never played a competitive game for us.

Ireland is a decent shout for vice-captain though (not that the role really counts for much) because he is our best player, a guaranteed starter and City through and through.

Ric said:
Ireland isn't ready for the captaincy, as he's only 22 and doesn't need the distraction from his own game which is coming on brilliantly. You can almost guarantee Dunne won't be captain next season, I imagine it'll be Barry although I'm apprehensive about giving the captaincy to someone who has never played a competitive game for us.

Ireland is a decent shout for vice-captain though (not that the role really counts for much) because he is our best player, a guaranteed starter and City through and through.

I agree, personally think it should be Barry, Kompany or De Jong but Ireland has been captain a few times this season even with last seasons vice captain Richards playing.

Ric said:

I agree about Barry not having played a game yet, so maybe Hughes is waiting to see who becomes the natural leader in the dressing room/training pitch before deciding or announcing it? He might give it to Given in the short term while Barry, or whoever else, gets chance to establish themselves as the obvious choice..? Obviously MH was wanting Terry for it really, so who gets it now is going to be quite interesting as leadership is what we really lacked last season especially away from home!

It's definitely a tricky decision; even amongst fans there's not really a consensus there. I think Given, Toure, de Jong, Barry and Kompany are leaders in their own right. In fact you could probably add Bellamy to that list. But are they captain material?

It's a slight cause for concern that there's no out and out captains there, real leaders of men. But then in the Premiership you'd probably only say that Gerrard and Terry have that quality, so maybe it isn't such a big deal. Since Arsenal and United lost Keane and Viera they've never really had a proper leader and United in particular haven't done badly so maybe the role is over rated?

Ric said:
It's definitely a tricky decision; even amongst fans there's not really a consensus there. I think Given, Toure, de Jong, Barry and Kompany are leaders in their own right. In fact you could probably add Bellamy to that list. But are they captain material?

It's a slight cause for concern that there's no out and out captains there, real leaders of men. But then in the Premiership you'd probably only say that Gerrard and Terry have that quality, so maybe it isn't such a big deal. Since Arsenal and United lost Keane and Viera they've never really had a proper leader and United in particular haven't done badly so maybe the role is over rated?

There are those who say that the armband is just an English obsession. In Italy I'm pretty sure they just give it to the guy who's played the most games for the club. Much more important that you have several organisers and leaders, and a few who will push and cajole the others, because everyone has to take responsibility for the team's performance. We've probably got enough of them now, so if isn't happening by the end of this season, the question might be whether the manager is giving the team a game plan they can follow well enough to be able to sort things out amongst themselves on the pitch. if that makes sense. Anyway, he's done well to get the characters in place, so let's hope the rest follows.

It seems he's the vice captain, since the beginning of the pre-season he has been captaining the team.

am i the only city fan, who doesn't want to see barry captain?
he can't just walk into the club and be given captaincy.
hughes has already said dunne is captain
if somelse has to take it probally given would have it.

just my opinion!

I dont see the big deal in whos the captain and whos not the captain. All the players should want to do there captain roles for the team during the games. We should have players who sort the defence out and midfield out. A out and out leader up forward who I think Tevez could be that type of player who will get the best out of his strike partner. What we dont need is players going missing this season not up for the battle for places in the team then they should be given the option to leave the club. We need players who will battle for there place in training and in the match it should show to the fans they want to be here.

I know Dunne has got a lot of stick but he has a lot still to offer. I dont think it would matter by taking the armband off the player. I think Dunne would prove in his own way what type of leader he is by getting his game back on course. With it being a World Cup season as well I expect to see the best of Dunne. Ireland have a chance and for Dunne to want to play in a World Cup he will up his prefromace levels this season.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.